Kubota Spinner Knob

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
I bought the Kubota brand 2 bolt spinner knob for my BX1800 tractor and immediately stripped out the bolt threading thru the steel insert trying to get it to grip the round steering wheel and not lean inwards towards the middle. After rethreading the insert to the next size bigger bolt, I lined up the one side with the steering wheel crossbar and drilled a hole thru the flat area. Then I clamped the spinner knob on like normal but with the inside bolt going thru the flat bar of the steering wheel between the two halfs so it can no longer twist around. Works like a champ and will never slip around the steering wheel. :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The reason you were having issues with it leaning to the middle, is that it's supposed to clamp onto the cross bar and not the steering wheel. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Never clamp it to the outside of the wheel - that way when you turn sharp, you can let the wheel go and allow it to spin freely - allowing your hand to rest on the rim. The outer edge of the spoke allows enough torque to spin freely without beating the hell out of your hand!!

I have spinners on both of my machines, really cannot drive them without now!!!!

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
Never clamp it to the outside of the wheel - that way when you turn sharp, you can let the wheel go and allow it to spin freely - allowing your hand to rest on the rim. The outer edge of the spoke allows enough torque to spin freely without beating the hell out of your hand!!

I have spinners on both of my machines, really cannot drive them without now!!!!
Agreed! I lose all spatial relevance and control if I try to use just the wheel.
Love having one on my boat as well.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Don't know about farm equipment but in someplaces they are illegal in a vehicle. Govt. went similar route with them as did with requiring motorcycle helmets after so many injuries in accidents that would have been avoided.

These knobs love to separate you from your rib cage, bowls, create massive internal injury when you get slammed into them (or they into you ) etc. in accidents.

I like them too and on some rigs have used them. Just throwing out some devils advocate data.

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
My crossbar is wide and flat but the clamp is small and the same diameter as the outer ring of the steering wheel. I agree it would be best completely on the crossbar but I don't think this Kubota brand knob I got is designed to do that.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My crossbar is wide and flat but the clamp is small and the same diameter as the outer ring of the steering wheel. I agree it would be best completely on the crossbar but I don't think this Kubota brand knob I got is designed to do that.
To put one on my BX I had to "invent" a little different backing plate.....and longer bolts!:D;):)

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
OKI just bought a generic orange one at Rural King and bolted it on the outside of the wheel. I've never had any issues with it except with the way the hydraulic steering system works, at least on the BX you never know what clock position your knob will be day to day. Maybe I'm naive, but as slow as a BX is, I can't figure a scenario where the wheel gets knocked out of your hands.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have considered one too, but climbing off my L1501 i swing my leg over the steering wheel, i could see a complication getting caught on the steering wheel.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was mowing with a TG1860 yesterday, and can see the application of the spinner knob on the outside of the steering wheel.

On that model the steering wheel is deep dished. The center is several inches deeper then the outer rim. Only way to use a knob is attach it to the outside.

A steering knob isn't really necessary unless the operator is constantly looking over a shoulder observing the situation behind, like baling hay.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
My official Kubota spinner didn't hold up to Oregon rain very well...the whole thing is built like a cup with a sticker over the top...once water gets in it doesn't have anywhere to go. I pulled it apart and packed it with grease...for a while there I would be spinning and it would seize up. I think I will take off for the fall and winter...or let it go and replace it.

-Mac