Kubota Quality

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I hate to say it, but it seems to me we're paying a price for the attack on labor unions and wages for skilled and unskilled labor in the USA. Must be other factors too. And I'm not saying dealerships should be unionized necessarily but that unions set a standard for compensation that trickled out.

My B2601 bought two years ago, has been rock solid, no leaks and no engine or hydraulic malfunctions. BUT I have had four issues from shoddy setup, from minor to serious. I've documented most of them on this site. These were attributed to "the kid" they got rid of who set up my tractor.

Lots of questions. Was he ignorant and not taught? What kind of pressure was he under? Why did an inexperienced (I assume) kid get this job even if he was cheap? Was he supervised? Was he helped? Was his work checked?

You get it: I think he was probably a punk but I blame management. I question the ethos of that dealership, which has been in business a long time and won awards.

Reactions: 1 users

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I hate to say it, but it seems to me we're paying a price for the attack on labor unions and wages for skilled and unskilled labor in the USA. Must be other factors too. And I'm not saying dealerships should be unionized necessarily but that unions set a standard for compensation that trickled out.

My B2601 bought two years ago, has been rock solid, no leaks and no engine or hydraulic malfunctions. BUT I have had four issues from shoddy setup, from minor to serious. I've documented most of them on this site. These were attributed to "the kid" they got rid of who set up my tractor.

Lots of questions. Was he ignorant and not taught? What kind of pressure was he under? Why did an inexperienced (I assume) kid get this job even if he was cheap? Was he supervised? Was he helped? Was his work checked?

You get it: I think he was probably a punk but I blame management. I question the ethos of that dealership, which has been in business a long time and won awards.
This may not be a popular opinion, especially with some of the older folks on here who grew up with American manufacturing in its prime quality wise. but knowing multiple people personally who either work at union controlled jobs (UAW) or used to, they pretty much keep the worst of the worst employed, they protect a culture of indifference and low standards, and take a chunk of your pay to do said things. They may have some benefits, but considering most companies offer the same benefits w/o unions, I dont believe the trade off is worth it. When it comes to the trade (electrician/iron/etc...) unions, I am not to sure on that when, as I only know one guy who started out union and said it was horrible. In my personal experience, vehicles that come from UAW controlled factories have insane QC problems compared to those not union controlled in the US or from europe/korea/japan. This, combined with a majority of most of the dealership employees (for the most part techs/mechanics excluded) willingly ignore these issues or simply dont do PDI/inspections at all, breeds a lack of confidence in American Industry. I know this has gone on for a bit, but its something I feel very pasionatly about as my last two vehicles, and a large majority of my families members vehicles have had the same issues with QC and lackluster dealer staff at multiple stealerships. Even with the huge discount we get with this particular brand, none of us are even considering them for a new vehicle. It is one of the reasons I picked Kubota as opposed to other brands, the made in Japan sticker means a lot more to me now then the made in US sticker.

Reactions: 3 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I hear you, Trustable. I was kind of playing devil's advocate here, as I grew up hearing union horror stories. And my father was in management and hated unions and was always fighting them. But at the same time, I was best paid in a unionized place when I was, of all things, a newspaper reporter.

I swore off American vehicles after I bought a new Ford 150 in 1992. It was made in St. Louis, can't remember whether it was union stamped or not. But it had rampant component failures when it was only 4 and 5 years old. That's a management decision, to use cheap components, and it shocked me. I was used to my little Mazda truck and our Toyota cars. They ran forever.

Once I got the components replaced, including the worst, the transmission, the truck ran without any other problems. I kept it for 16 years. The engine, a straight six, was flawless and never leaked oil.

I had bought it in time when Detroit and the car magazines were again staying quality was up. But that truck stranded me a few times and it wasn't fun. I swore I'd never believe Detroit again about quality, and I haven't and won't.

Reactions: 1 user

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I hear you, Trustable. I was kind of playing devil's advocate here, as I grew up hearing union horror stories. And my father was in management and hated unions and was always fighting them. But at the same time, I was best paid in a unionized place when I was, of all things, a newspaper reporter.

I swore off American vehicles after I bought a new Ford 150 in 1992. It was made in St. Louis, can't remember whether it was union stamped or not. But it had rampant component failures when it was only 4 and 5 years old. That's a management decision, to use cheap components, and it shocked me. I was used to my little Mazda truck and our Toyota cars. They ran forever.

Once I got the components replaced, including the worst, the transmission, the truck ran without any other problems. I kept it for 16 years. The engine, a straight six, was flawless and never leaked oil.

I had bought it in time when Detroit and the car magazines were again staying quality was up. But that truck stranded me a few times and it wasn't fun. I swore I'd never believe Detroit again about quality, and I haven't and won't.
Wow that is a nightmare with the f150!! I currently have a 2021 ranger where gas gets into the oil pan and ford claims it is not a problem and refuses to elaborate further. (Also I had a lot of QC issues that should have been noticed by salesmen but I had to fix.) Before that I had a focus with the DCT which resulted in multiple class action law suits but ford refuses to replace the unit, and just puts in software updates, which fix the issue for a week at most if at all. Actually had the whole car shut down on me once while driving, thankfully not on the freeway, saying service transmission immediately.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My l2501 (made in Japan) was flawless, but the bucket (made in the US), had horrible welds with air bubbles in it and looked like garbage, with my neighbor even mentioning he worried how long it would last, especially if water got in the divots (it looked like a golf ball but deeper divots). I actually ground down the welds and my neighbor re-welded them. I for sure will not be buying any land pride implements in the future.
Very interesting comment, .......for future reference.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Sometime we need just a bit of good news.... My LX appears to have been built around April/May 2021 (judging from dates on various items including the motor). I ordered it 9/10/2021 and it was delivered 12/10/21. Since then I've put about 55 hours on it. Only issues were I ordered a float detent valve for the 2nd remote but when the tractor was prepped they installed a spring center valve ( Error on the dealer end as the part number is just 1 different than the float valve). They ordered the correct one and when it was convenient for me I dropped it off to have it swapped out (it did take 4 months or so to come in). Other than getting the tractor dirty :) the only other item is digging a burn pit with the loader I knocked one of the hairpin clips off the right side sway link. Never did find the clip but for a couple of bucks I now have some spares in the toolbox. I have yet to find a loose bolt or nut on the loader or anywhere else. I checked them at 10, 25 & 50 hours.

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Sometime we need just a bit of good news.... My LX appears to have been built around April/May 2021 (judging from dates on various items including the motor). I ordered it 9/10/2021 and it was delivered 12/10/21. Since then I've put about 55 hours on it. Only issues were I ordered a float detent valve for the 2nd remote but when the tractor was prepped they installed a spring center valve ( Error on the dealer end as the part number is just 1 different than the float valve). They ordered the correct one and when it was convenient for me I dropped it off to have it swapped out (it did take 4 months or so to come in). Other than getting the tractor dirty :) the only other item is digging a burn pit with the loader I knocked one of the hairpin clips off the right side sway link. Never did find the clip but for a couple of bucks I now have some spares in the toolbox. I have yet to find a loose bolt or nut on the loader or anywhere else. I checked them at 10, 25 & 50 hours.
That speaks to good dealer prep

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Did yours have a similar issue? besides that I have been more than happy with the tractor.
I have had no such problems.
I do not currently have any Landpride attachments.
I am actually very partial to EA attachments/quality.
Just making note of the reported Landpride issue for future reference.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
My l2501 (made in Japan) was flawless, but the bucket (made in the US), had horrible welds with air bubbles in it and looked like garbage, with my neighbor even mentioning he worried how long it would last, especially if water got in the divots (it looked like a golf ball but deeper divots). I actually ground down the welds and my neighbor re-welded them. I for sure will not be buying any land pride implements in the future.
Likely when they were welding it up. They either ran out of shielding gas or the welder had it turned off. That's what caused the porosity. However, the bigger question is how it managed to get past quality control because that shouldn't have happened.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Likely when they were welding it up. They either ran out of shielding gas or the welder had it turned off. That's what caused the porosity. However, the bigger question is how it managed to get past quality control because that shouldn't have happened.
Yes my neighbor mentioned the shielding gas! Argon mix I think? I’d like to learn more about welding and may end up taking some classes at the local community college eventually. With how they didn’t notice it I would love to know As well.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I’ll have to check out EA. Eventually going to get a grapple and land plane.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have a land pride rotary cutter that is fine. I used to own a different rotary cutter, box blade, and rear blade for another tractor for over 20 years. Never had a problem with any of them.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a land pride rotary cutter that is fine. I used to own a different rotary cutter, box blade, and rear blade for another tractor for over 20 years. Never had a problem with any of them.
Past history is not necessarily an indication of current quality.
There are many examples of this.
I think my Model-B Ford had much better build quality than a current day Ford.;)

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
There are many examples of this.
I think my Model-B Ford had much better build quality than a current day Ford.;)
I haven’t had a complaint about the land pride cutter that I bought last year. I used it hard last summer. We’ll see.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I agree. While some get lucky and have no problems, they shouldn't discount the experiences of others. It seems like some brand loyalists, take it personal when others point out a quality issue with their beloved choice. Buyers should point out any deficiencies and be respected for taking the time to show it to others, then maybe a bit of pressure would be put on the makers of shoddy product.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
July 2022, new M5-111 with Cab and loader. Tractor has been perfect but the loader was built in Jefferson and has several defects.
Someone didn't get everything properly aligned in the jig before it got welded.
I bought my backhoe attachment separate from my tractor loader.
It came disassembled on a pallet. When the time came to pin the backhoe to the tractor I couldn't get the pins in. After pulling the tractor away from the backhoe I discovered that the pins wouldn't even go through the attachment clevis itself. It had to be out of whack in the jig when it was welded. My dealer gave me another backhoe they had in stock.
Note the photo date.
100_1616.JPG
100_1617.JPG
100_1614.JPG
100_1616.JPG
100_1617.JPG
100_1614.JPG

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I bought my backhoe attachment separate from my tractor loader.
It came disassembled on a pallet. When the time came to pin the backhoe to the tractor I couldn't get the pins in. After pulling the tractor away from the backhoe I discovered that the pins wouldn't even go through the attachment clevis itself. It had to be out of whack in the jig when it was welded. My dealer gave me another backhoe they had in stock.
Note the photo date. View attachment 94198 View attachment 94199 View attachment 94200 View attachment 94198 View attachment 94199 View attachment 94200
GOOD on your dealer !!!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
There are other possible causes of porosity such as contamination in the form of oil, corrosion, wind blowing the shielding gas off the puddle, impurities in the parent metal, impurities in the filler metal, contaminants in/on the filler metal etc. Regardless, it should have been caught in QC as you say.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've got and had lots of implements from Land Pride, EA and others. I've had no problems with any of them.

Last edited: