Kubota Model Number Advice ??

farmboykj

Equipment
G5200 ; ZD326
May 16, 2016
Central, Indiana
Hello - I am new to this forum and seeking some advice on model #'s of a used Kubota tractor that I am going to be in the market for. I currently have 2 Kubota lawn mowers that are great machines but do not have a lot of experience with the model #'s of the compact size tractors. I am looking to replace a 1978 International Harvester 284 tractor.

Here is what I would like to have in a Kubota tractor: Preferably no older than the 90's ; 30-35 Hp. ; would like to find a model that used metal body components instead of plastic ; FWA ; Gear drive transmission; an open operators platform would be nice ; front end loader compatible.

The tractor won't see a lot of heavy use, maybe 10-15 hrs. a year. I have bigger farm tractors for the heavy work. Mostly taking care of yard work (no mowing); grading the driveway, etc.

Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
L3200, L3240, L3300, L3400, L3410, L3430, L3430, L3540, L3560

There is also some older ones that are still great models.

I would say find the tractor at the right price and then worry about the model.

Get it with a loader and in 4wd!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello - I am new to this forum and seeking some advice on model #'s of a used Kubota tractor that I am going to be in the market for. I currently have 2 Kubota lawn mowers that are great machines but do not have a lot of experience with the model #'s of the compact size tractors. I am looking to replace a 1978 International Harvester 284 tractor.

Here is what I would like to have in a Kubota tractor: Preferably no older than the 90's ; 30-35 Hp. ; would like to find a model that used metal body components instead of plastic ; FWA ; Gear drive transmission; an open operators platform would be nice ; front end loader compatible.

The tractor won't see a lot of heavy use, maybe 10-15 hrs. a year. I have bigger farm tractors for the heavy work. Mostly taking care of yard work (no mowing); grading the driveway, etc.

Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

I agree with NIW - find the machine that fits your needs and pocketbook - the rest will take care of itself!

I would get the loader too - 30+ hp will leave a lot of smaller machines out - I know that you may be use to a large HP machine, but I will also tell you that the B series will do a lot and never reach 30 HP!:)
Your rear lift on your IH is around 2000 lbs......A B series will not be that much, the L series will get up there.

If all you want to is light grading, drive way etc - the B series will do all that and so much more, and it will be a smaller footprint to get in and out of those places you would never have placed the IH. :)

If you had the gasser - you'll find the little 3 cyl kubota's will sip the fuel!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why are you replacing the IH 284? What you describe is just a bit more HP, but if you're using it 10-15 hours per year what difference does that make? Must be more to the story....

farmboykj

Equipment
G5200 ; ZD326
May 16, 2016
Central, Indiana
Thank you for taking the time to offer some advice. By listing the different series and model #'s, this will allow me to search down the right path. Do you have any idea on the year when Kubota switched from metal body parts to plastic?

My IH 284 is a gas 2wd model. It is a great little tractor and even though I am an IH fan, I would like to find something a little newer with FWA and a loader. I am not sold on some of the newer compact tractors that Case IH has offered and pretty much made my mind up on a Kubota.

Attachments

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
Thank you for taking the time to offer some advice. By listing the different series and model #'s, this will allow me to search down the right path. Do you have any idea on the year when Kubota switched from metal body parts to plastic?

My IH 284 is a gas 2wd model. It is a great little tractor and even though I am an IH fan, I would like to find something a little newer with FWA and a loader. I am not sold on some of the newer compact tractors that Case IH has offered and pretty much made my mind up on a Kubota.
This might help. It lists the Kubotas by year and horsepower and you can find more info and specs on just about any tractor at this site....

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tra...kubota/kubota-tractors-horsepower-sorted.html

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Don't think any of the L or B models ever had plastic body parts. There was one model of the little BX tractors that had plastic, but it was only out for a short while before Kub went back to all-metal on the BX like everything else.