Kubota M62, Or used Commercial Case, JD, JCB. Or Mini Ex?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm going through the motions and will be BH shopping soon. I'm leaning towards a used commercial JD, Case, JCB or etc unit, but a brand new M62 is on the list too. I know a big old used commercial Case or JCB will out-dig a new M62. But new is fun with a warranty. And, everyone seems to love their mini excavators. But I'm not wired for it. I see the advantages of a 360 degree rotation in a mini Ex but I've been operating conventional BH's for decades and I don't know if I really want that... I think that I'll miss having a loader. ?? A mini ex seems top heavy and, well, goofy. No offense.... I never had one.

Any of you old timers that went with a mini ex please give me your thoughts.

Any of you that own a M62 instead of an old retired commercial BH, please advise as to why.

I'll be digging stumps on semi flat terrain with some hills and planting trees on the same terrain.

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520. Landpride RCR1272,RB1684,SPL1072,FDR1672, westward tiller
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm going through the motions and will be BH shopping soon. I'm leaning towards a used commercial JD, Case, JCB or etc unit, but a brand new M62 is on the list too. I know a big old used commercial Case or JCB will out-dig a new M62. But new is fun with a warranty. And, everyone seems to love their mini excavators. But I'm not wired for it. I see the advantages of a 360 degree rotation in a mini Ex but I've been operating conventional BH's for decades and I don't know if I really want that... I think that I'll miss having a loader. ?? A mini ex seems top heavy and, well, goofy. No offense.... I never had one.

Any of you that own a M62 instead of an old retired commercial BH, please advise as to why.

I'll be digging stumps on semi flat terrain with some hills and planting trees on the same terrain.

If your digging and only digging nothing will out perform an excavator. But that being said if you digging at your own lesuire and not on a time frame a TLB has endless possibilities. Up here north of the border any backhoe with a closed in cabin under 3000 +hrs is still 100k or more for a clean unit. In my opinion a new M62 would be my choice, warranty and can be operated and serviced to YOUR liking right from the dealership. If your running this machine 365 days a year rain or shine and for your business I would go with a bigger backhoe or an excavator. This is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you buy

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Are you keeping the LX? If so, then I think an excavator is worth considering. You can position it and dig whatever you want, then get off it and use the LX to move the spoil. To me, it's a pain to have to keep lifting the outriggers and moving a TLB, and even more often if you're using the loader on it as well.

Yes, you could get a mini-ex. But a used mid-size sounds more like what you need. My brother-in-law has a mid-size Cat, it can do a lot of work in a very short time. Far more work than I think you'd do with a TLB.

If you are trailering it and don't have a big enough trailer to take two machines, then sure, a TLB is more flexible.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I've owned both an M59 and a full sized TLB. I also have experience operating skidsees, CTL's, mini and full sized excavators, wheel loaders, etc.

Bottom line is get the tool you need to get the job done. Renting is often more cost effective than buying a universal machine that excels at nothing.

You don't say what size stumps you plan on digging. The M59/M62 are compact machines with decent grunt. Better than nothing but not up to heavy duty tasks of pulling big stumps all day long.

If you are doing a few stumps here and there, need to work in tight spaces, and need to haul away the roots and drive long distances the M59/62 with front grapple and BH ripper will do the job but will be slow and will take a lot of abuse doing it. Better suited as a landscapers general purpose utility machine.

A large stump on the M59/62 may take you 15 to 30 minutes with a decent ripper. A 10 ton mini-ex or full sized TLB like a CAT420 might take you 10-15 minutes. A 30 ton excavator might take 1-5 minutes on the same stump. You will need to spend another 10-15 minutes chewing on the root ball to make it small enough (i.e. less than 2 tons) to move with the M59/62. The CAT420 could probably haul it away as is.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My first consideration (after selecting size/capacity) would be: “Do you want to DIG..?… or repeatedly fuss with repairs on discarded commercial equipment..?”

ON a personal note, … Thinking about buying a used mini-ex…I borrowed my neighbors to dig out some mesquite-stumps that had been scraped off by a skid-steer.
It was almost a day wasted because out of a dozen small stumps…it was only capable of digging out three…the rest were too stubborn for the mini-ex.

Just as I was giving-up on it’s capability…it overheated. :oops:

I figured I was about to have to shell-out for a diesel-rebuild for my neighbor…when his worker showed up to pick it up…. and who informed me that it had recently been overheating and a radiator and thermostat had not solved it.

Whew! 😓

I rarely borrow things…. and it was a reminder as to Why…

….and buying Used …requires thorough inspection and a short-term warranty if possible.

New is usually better/good.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Are you keeping the LX? If so, then I think an excavator is worth considering. You can position it and dig whatever you want, then get off it and use the LX to move the spoil. To me, it's a pain to have to keep lifting the outriggers and moving a TLB, and even more often if you're using the loader on it as well.

Yes, you could get a mini-ex. But a used mid-size sounds more like what you need. My brother-in-law has a mid-size Cat, it can do a lot of work in a very short time. Far more work than I think you'd do with a TLB.

If you are trailering it and don't have a big enough trailer to take two machines, then sure, a TLB is more flexible.
Thank you.

Yes, I'm keeping my LX. I have a trailer and truck to haul 8K in cargo. But it's home based. No plans to haul it anywhere.

Not running it 365. Not commercial. Homestead farming.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I've owned both an M59 and a full sized TLB. I also have experience operating skidsees, CTL's, mini and full sized excavators, wheel loaders, etc.

Bottom line is get the tool you need to get the job done. Renting is often more cost effective than buying a universal machine that excels at nothing.

You don't say what size stumps you plan on digging. The M59/M62 are compact machines with decent grunt. Better than nothing but not up to heavy duty tasks of pulling big stumps all day long.

If you are doing a few stumps here and there, need to work in tight spaces, and need to haul away the roots and drive long distances the M59/62 with front grapple and BH ripper will do the job but will be slow and will take a lot of abuse doing it. Better suited as a landscapers general purpose utility machine.

A large stump on the M59/62 may take you 15 to 30 minutes with a decent ripper. A 10 ton mini-ex or full sized TLB like a CAT420 might take you 10-15 minutes. A 30 ton excavator might take 1-5 minutes on the same stump. You will need to spend another 10-15 minutes chewing on the root ball to make it small enough (i.e. less than 2 tons) to move with the M59/62. The CAT420 could probably haul it away as is.
Great points! Thank you.

Trees are mostly 10 to 12" trunk sized maple. About 60 years old.

I have more time than money. Retired, but still working.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
My first consideration (after selecting size/capacity) would be: “Do you want to DIG..?… or repeatedly fuss with repairs on discarded commercial equipment..?”

ON a personal note, … Thinking about buying a used mini-ex…I borrowed my neighbors to dig out some mesquite-stumps that had been scraped off by a skid-steer.
It was almost a day wasted because out of a dozen small stumps…it was only capable of digging out three…the rest were too stubborn for the mini-ex.

Just as I was giving-up on it’s capability…it overheated. :oops:

I figured I was about to have to shell-out for a diesel-rebuild for my neighbor…when his worker showed up to pick it up…. and who informed me that it had recently been overheating and a radiator and thermostat had not solved it.

Whew! 😓

I rarely borrow things…. and it was a reminder as to Why…

….and buying Used …requires thorough inspection and a short-term warranty if possible.

New is usually better/good.
Thank you.

If I can buy a used commercial, serious BH, for half the cost of a brand new M62.... Which is 80K US. I will. Only because it will out perform an M62.
But the repairs is the question.

Time vs money and headaches.

I don't need a cab BH. I won't be working it with snow on the ground. But most of the late model commercial units have a cab.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
If your digging and only digging nothing will out perform an excavator. But that being said if you digging at your own lesuire and not on a time frame a TLB has endless possibilities. Up here north of the border any backhoe with a closed in cabin under 3000 +hrs is still 100k or more for a clean unit. In my opinion a new M62 would be my choice, warranty and can be operated and serviced to YOUR liking right from the dealership. If your running this machine 365 days a year rain or shine and for your business I would go with a bigger backhoe or an excavator. This is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you buy
Thank you.

Not commercial. Not 365. No cab needed, but most commercial BH's have a cab.

I'm leaning towards a new M62.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
20 stumps or 200 ? either way, mini ex wins hands down.
I KNOW a BX23S can get an 86 year old Spruce stump out, in 3 days, on and off,spending 1/2 time moving around trying to get good position to dig..... Once out , stump filled 1/3rd of my 4yd trailer.
The problem with ANY backhoe is manuvering ability....
Will they dig, sure, it just takes 3-4 -6 times longer, so the 'fun' becomes a 'CHORE'.......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've run both and for what you want to do a nice large mini Ex will run circles around a BH.

They have much better digging and pulling force.
And they are actually way less top heavy than a TLB.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Thank you all.

I plan to extract trees and stumps over an area about 5 acres. But it might grow into 10 acres. Then plant apple and cherry trees. It's Wisconsin.

Time is on my side because the new trees, (24"box size), won't be mature enuf to seriously produce until I'm in my 70's ..
or dead.

It's more of a future plan for my kids and grand kids... and something to do... for me and the wife.

Thank you.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thank you.

Yes, I'm keeping my LX. I have a trailer and truck to haul 8K in cargo. But it's home based. No plans to haul it anywhere.

Not running it 365. Not commercial. Homestead farming.
For your description I'd be looking at an excavator around 5 ton. If you don't have to trailer it, and you already have another tractor, I'm not sure what benefit you get from a TLB v's a dedicated machine. You can get some quite large used excavators - you could go way bigger than 5 ton if you have the inclination. There's a set of videos on YouTube from a young couple who got a big bulldozer quite cheaply - seemingly nobody really wants a big old machine - they're hard to transport, hard to maintain. But they did an enormous amount of work with it.

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
I have a KX033 (shy of 4 tons) that I got used with less than 100 hours on it. I had a BX25D with a backhoe. For my purposes, the mini ex wins hands down. The 360 rotation is a huge advantage for dumping bucket where you want it without having to move machine. The thumb helps with moving logs and holding them in the air for bucking ( no more bending down with chainsaw). It can handle 12 foot 24 inch diameter logs as long as I am careful and mindful of the force of leverage when boom is extended ( tipping hazard). Slow and low is safer. It is so much less fatiguing to cut that way. And, it allows for picking up the sections and loading them into pile or truck afterwards. As far as stumping goes I have a ripper and it takes about 30-40 minutes for an 18 inch or bigger stump on the more stubborn ones. Ripping technique is important for efficiency. Plenty on Youtube about this. Mini ex also has straight blade for pushing or grading. So for me, as the Mandalorians say, " this is the way." Good luck.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
For your description I'd be looking at an excavator around 5 ton. If you don't have to trailer it, and you already have another tractor, I'm not sure what benefit you get from a TLB v's a dedicated machine. You can get some quite large used excavators - you could go way bigger than 5 ton if you have the inclination. There's a set of videos on YouTube from a young couple who got a big bulldozer quite cheaply - seemingly nobody really wants a big old machine - they're hard to transport, hard to maintain. But they did an enormous amount of work with it.
I'd love to get an excavator but it's hard to justify the purchase when I can hire a guy with a 30 ton machine at $180/hr which includes operator and fuel. Cleared some fence lines last year and a big machine will clear in 1 day what would take me a week to do. This way I don't have wear and tear on my equipment, I can get other work done at the same time and the expense is written off 100% in that year. If the machine breaks down that's their problem.

Machine weight is your friend when it comes to brute force stump pulling.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
M59 and B26 are just about perfect for our 140acre hillside, mostly wooded hillside farm. Hate to drive an excavator from one end to the other. Had a used full size backhoe for twenty years. Strong performer, cheap but limited where it could go. Never underestimate the usefulness of a compact backhoe. Miles of underground utilities. Use both 85% in 3pt mode. We have several little orchards and berry patches. Creeks and ponds to maintain.

Modified M59 to use Kubota excavator quick attach buckets. Made finding attachments like ripper easy and increased digging efficiency. Particularly stumps.

Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd love to get an excavator but it's hard to justify the purchase when I can hire a guy with a 30 ton machine at $180/hr which includes operator and fuel. Cleared some fence lines last year and a big machine will clear in 1 day what would take me a week to do. This way I don't have wear and tear on my equipment, I can get other work done at the same time and the expense is written off 100% in that year. If the machine breaks down that's their problem.

Machine weight is your friend when it comes to brute force stump pulling.
Yes. But @NorthwoodsLife is indicating he has more time than money, and would like a machine to do it himself. So he's weighing up:
- TLB (which isn't cheap)
- Smaller excavator new (will do better than a TLB in my mind, but still not perfect)
- Used large excavator

I'd go for the last option I think. Sure, it might need maintenance. But you're not relying on it to make money, you're using it to do work that is somewhat optional. And used large machines can be quite cheap and still have a lot of life in them if you're not doing that much work. Once it's delivered to your house it'll probably go for years, and it'll demolish stumps that a smaller machine would take hours to do. Only problem is if it breaks you have to fix it, and big machines are hard to work on - everything's big and heavy.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
^This is actually been on my mind too. Or talking to tree companies to take them all out and haul away. They would be done quick. And I can watch from the deck with a stogie and scotch....
But in the end I still need a TLB or excavator to plant trees.... maybe a BX TLB would do for that!

Saw a YT video where the guy got paid for the lumber... but I don't know if mostly maple and some pine is worth anything.

Thanks too all.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
^This is actually been on my mind too. Or talking to tree companies to take them all out and haul away. They would be done quick. And I can watch from the deck with a stogie and scotch....
But in the end I still need a TLB or excavator to plant trees.... maybe a BX TLB would do for that!

Saw a YT video where the guy got paid for the lumber... but I don't know if mostly maple and some pine is worth anything.

Thanks too all.
Good day.

I don’t have much advice, but if you are thinking about which machine, but I think in general a BH or mini or even an EX would be a great general purpose machine to have around the homestead.

I think it sort of depends on your timeframe and scope of work and maybe what you want to do after the planting is done. Will you want to sell or have other uses to keep it around?

it’s hard to go wrong with the stogie / scotch approach either. 👍
☕

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Thanks too all.
Personally speaking the M59 is my version of the BX. Still small enough to get into tight spaces but enough grunt to move pallets of sod, 1-2 ton armour stone, root balls, 3/4 yard scoops of dirt/gravel/mulch. Sometimes I wish I had a bigger machine, sometimes I wish it were a little smaller for working under trees. I occasionally miss my SCUT for little jobs but not often enough to do something about it.

I'd like to add a wrist to my BH for fine grading, the problem is I run out of BH capacity fast. If money was no object I'd get one of these 10MCR and add a rotator and wrist

Check out you-tub for some interesting videos in action