Kubota L4701 vs Mahindra 2545--which to buy

Kevin77

Jun 28, 2017
Longview, tx
Hello orange crew. Like many, I'm sure, I've got my first tractor list narrowed down to the orange L4701 or the red 2545. I really need any advice you guys/gals can give me. These two tractors are EXTREMELY similar. I've driven both and will list the pros of both I noticed below. I'm pretty set on wanting the shuttle tranny. I will be brush hogging, disking, using a grapple and box blade. This will be my first tractor and hopefully my last so I really want to make the right choice. I've read many of your posts and really respect this community's expertise. Any and ALL views would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Own 60 acres 95% wooded. Much TLC need to clear the understory, etc. Purpose of this land is hunting and family time with my kids.

Kubota Pros: Smoother ride. Smoother shifting and EASIER gear finding with the shuttle tranny. Quiter engine.

Mahindra Pros: All metal. Feels very solid. Already have GREAT relationship with the dealership. No DPF to worry about

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
From my understanding on Mahindra and their emissions, they don't use DPF, but they run at a hotter temperature all the time to burn off the excess particulate.

No experience with either, my B2650 is below emission requirement, but I would say I would prefer the DPF of the L series machines, they seem to have very few complaints on the L series DPF system. I would think it is better to run hot for 15-20 minutes every 15-20 hours during a regen than to run unnecessarily hot all the time as the Mahindra does.

Bayoudude

May 24, 2017
Houma LA
I just purchased a L4701 for my recreational property. I went with HST and glad I did it is so easy to make a 3 point turn in a tight spot or the back and forth of loader work. It sips fuel as well the gage barely moved in 6 hours of operation. My first regen happened around 9 hours of use and lasted about 15-20 min Keep in mind I have very little mowing as my place is 99% wooded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I am biased because I already have Orange. Here's something to think about . Start searching rental company's, and see what percentage they use. I would say rentals get used harder than most private ones.
Search for sale ads, what percentage of their original value do they hold? Just like real estate you always need to think of resale. I'm sure they are both awesome tractors. Next put your tail in the seat and see how the controls feel. That's what sold me on Orange, but your feelings may vary.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I only know of (2) Mahindra owners, and neither well, just talked to them in passing. Both loved their Mahindra for about two years, then something broke or wore out, and they both had trouble finding parts or getting the correct parts. Something to think about.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Hello orange crew. Like many, I'm sure, I've got my first tractor list narrowed down to the orange L4701 or the red 2545. I really need any advice you guys/gals can give me. These two tractors are EXTREMELY similar. I've driven both and will list the pros of both I noticed below. I'm pretty set on wanting the shuttle tranny. I will be brush hogging, disking, using a grapple and box blade. This will be my first tractor and hopefully my last so I really want to make the right choice. I've read many of your posts and really respect this community's expertise. Any and ALL views would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Own 60 acres 95% wooded. Much TLC need to clear the understory, etc. Purpose of this land is hunting and family time with my kids.

Kubota Pros: Smoother ride. Smoother shifting and EASIER gear finding with the shuttle tranny. Quiter engine.

Mahindra Pros: All metal. Feels very solid. Already have GREAT relationship with the dealership. No DPF to worry about
Kevin,
By the looks of your PROS vs PROS, you`ve already talked yourself into the orange paint.
I looked a Mahindra, i was not impressed at all. For me it came down to John Deere vs Kubota.
Wanna guess what color i bought...? lol... uhhhh the clue is, i`m on a kubota forum..lol
I saved $5,000 buying the Kubota vs deere... and its made in the USA, john deere is not.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
I only know of (2) Mahindra owners, and neither well, just talked to them in passing. Both loved their Mahindra for about two years, then something broke or wore out, and they both had trouble finding parts or getting the correct parts. Something to think about.
I almost bought a Mahindra but the more I found out the less I liked it, they might sell more tractors then anyone else but they repackage other peoples tractors.

I have watched videos where people talk about loving the tractors until they had a problem and then they had problems getting parts and support although Kubota's support of our members backhoe problem shows that both companies can suck.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
The 2545 is built by TYM for Mahindra. You would be far better off looking at the equivalent TYM model . It has more features than the Mahindra for less $$$$.

As far as problems etc, they exist with every brand and model. All you have to do is look long enough and you can find a person that has nothing good to say about any said make & model.

From the best that I can tell, almost all of the HORRY stories are a combination of dealer & customer, not the manufacturer. Again, all you have to do is some research and find happy endings to the same types of concerns that others had had. Basically the only differences in the equation are the dealer and the customer. That tells me that the "real" problem is either the dealer or the customer or both.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

jkz

Equipment
2010 L3700SU, mowing, landscaping, snow removal, general grounds use on 5 acres
Aug 7, 2016
Bayfield, CO
Definitely Kubota. I know several people who had older Kubota's and were looking to replace them with something newer. They went the Mahindra route and were sorry for it. Same thing brought up here.... parts issues. First chance they got, they unloaded their Mahindra's and bought Kubota's. I live within a mile of the largest Kubota dealer in the country. Closest green tractor dealer is 65 miles away.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
HST works for a lot of folks, but not for me. I much prefer straight gear or shuttle.
Why? I really want to know what advantage a gear gives you. I switched from gear to HST and will NEVER go back to a gear tractor. But I am very curious why you feel this way. Other than price I can't see a single advantage to a geared tractor.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Definitely Kubota. I know several people who had older Kubota's and were looking to replace them with something newer. They went the Mahindra route and were sorry for it. Same thing brought up here.... parts issues. First chance they got, they unloaded their Mahindra's and bought Kubota's. I live within a mile of the largest Kubota dealer in the country. Closest green tractor dealer is 65 miles away.
Pretty difficult to prove such a statement.

Here's a comment by Messick Farm Equipment dated about 10 years ago. Probably still true today. "The "largest" changes all the time. There are 30-40 or so large kubota dealers who jockey for the top spot all the time. The largest multi-store dealer is in Texas, they have like 20 locations or somthing crazy."

Just for general information.

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Kevin -- I'm in similar position. Have about 130 acres used for hunting and family fun. I'm a huge do the research and make the right decision kind of person. I've looked at all the 'major' brands and talked with many buddies who own this type of equipment - for me it's now an easy decision - only going with a Kubota. Looking like an M5-111. Lots of mowing and some deer food plots in my future.
Good luck.

Cousin Eddie

Equipment
L4701HST, LP RCF2072 Rotary Cutter, LP RTA2072 Tiller, Diamond C 45HDT
Sep 14, 2016
Southeast Kansas
I looked at both those about a year ago when I bought mine and I am glad I went with the L4701 HST. I didn't really like it the first few days, but after 70 hours of use it is really handy. I mow a lot and can really change directions easily while in the woods without having to turn around to shift gears. I can back that thing right under and around trees. The red, soon to be pink one, also weighs more which may change the way you haul it. Oh yeah, did I mention that the paint on a Mahindra will turn pink in a very short time and your buddies will laugh at you.:D The DPF/regen thing is not an issue. You may not even notice it. I love mine so far, no complaints. I live 2 miles from the green dealer and proudly drive right by it with a full trailer of shiny orange.:cool:

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I like that I can back my HST up right to the pond on a steep slope and not have to worry about it sliding in like my old gear tractor. I can stop it without even using the brake and change direction.

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
I looked at all brands before I bought. Always came back to Kubota and JD, for me both dealers are close both had good deals. Settled on Kubota because bang for the buck dealer and parts access it was the best deal. Now that's just for me. Had a distant neighbor with a early Mahindra, it hadn't been used in a couple of years. I asked him about it said he needed a part but was having trouble locating it. Said he would make me a good deal on it..I passed. Now how hard he looked for the part or what he thought the part was I don't know. But not what I wanted given my first tractor.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Why? I really want to know what advantage a gear gives you. I switched from gear to HST and will NEVER go back to a gear tractor. But I am very curious why you feel this way. Other than price I can't see a single advantage to a geared tractor.
No real advantage, except HST feels sluggish on hills, seems to rob power and uses more fuel. I just like gear drive better.