Kubota L3800 Turns Over But Will Not Start

chipper1

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800
Sep 19, 2018
Grand Rapids MI USA
I had exactly the same symptoms on my L2800 that turned out the be the fuel cutoff solenoid. Looks like the 2800 and the 3800 have the same setup. When you remove the fuel solenoid, turn the key and see if the engine starts. If it does then you just confirmed the fuel solenoid. If not then keep looking. If it does start you can shut it down with the manual cutoff lever.
Thanks boatman.
I'm not sure where the manual cutoff lever is.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks, I'll look again.
I'm now getting emails on the thread, whoot whoot.
Is there somewhere I should see an alert on the site when someone posts in a thread I'm watching?
Go to CP and subscribe to the thread.

chipper1

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800
Sep 19, 2018
Grand Rapids MI USA
Go to CP and subscribe to the thread.
Thanks for the reply MIW.
I am subscribed, just wondering if there is a way to see my "alerts" without going into the CP. On many forums it shows in the upper right hand corner, on this forum I can only see when I was here and my private messages. I looked for a setting and couldn't find one.
Here's what I see here and on another forum I hang out on.
Also how do I make the pictures full sized rather than the thumbnails or is that frowned upon here.
Thanks.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the reply MIW.
I am subscribed, just wondering if there is a way to see my "alerts" without going into the CP. On many forums it shows in the upper right hand corner, on this forum I can only see when I was here and my private messages. I looked for a setting and couldn't find one.
Here's what I see here and on another forum I hang out on.
Also how do I make the pictures full sized rather than the thumbnails or is that frowned upon here.
Thanks.
Old site software so sorry no alerts.

Upload a photo via the paper clip (Red circle), then scroll down the reply page and you will see the upload in orange, right click copy link address, go back up click on the Insert Image(blue circle) the paste link, done

Attachments

chipper1

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800
Sep 19, 2018
Grand Rapids MI USA
Old site software so sorry no alerts.

Upload a photo via the paper clip (Red circle), then scroll down the reply page and you will see the upload in orange, right click copy link address, go back up click on the Insert Image(blue circle) the paste link, done

I here the old software :(.

Here goes nothing.

That's a lot to post a picture lol, but I got it.
Someone might get the meme :).

Attachments

chipper1

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800
Sep 19, 2018
Grand Rapids MI USA
So I finally got a bit of time today so I pulled the fuel shut off and tried to start it with no luck :(. Then I had my son turn the key on with it plugged in and it didn't do anything :(, then I thought heck it needs to be grounded so I grounded it to a fastener on the injection pump and click in, and then back out with the key off :). So I stuck my finger in there to see what the heck I could feel and I could feel what seemed to be the flat end of a round plastic plunger(picture a syringe piston but larger), I could push it in easily with my hand. So I reinstalled it since it seemed to be working just fine. I then went to the injection pump side if the lift pump and pulled the line, I had a pan and caught the fluid and just let it run for a bit to see if there was any air in there, nothing and it was flowing quite freely so as long as the injection pump was working properly and the fuel shut off was working/getting the proper voltage then the tractor should start. I still had the front injector line disconnected and I tried to start the engine with the bleeder valve on the lift pump open(to the left) and it didn't fire, then I tried it with the bleeder to the right and it fired up:D, so I shut it off and tightened the line on the front injector and then tried to start it and it fired right up, it was spitting and sputtering for a moment, then it cleared up whoot whoot.
I think the whole time it must have just had an air lock somewhere, the only thing I did different was to let the fuel flow a little longer on the upstream side of the lift pump(maybe the prayers helped a little too). Also the fuel gauge started working as soon as it fired up :).
I'm hopeful it was only air in the line somewhere, but either way I will report back after I get some hrs on it.
Thanks to everyone for the help I really appreciate it.
Brett

Last edited:

hseII

Aug 18, 2018
West Georgia
The ‘Bota was ran slam out of fuel & it had to be bled basically all the way back to the tank?

$5 says You don’t let that happen again. [emoji16]

Reactions: 1 user

chipper1

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800
Sep 19, 2018
Grand Rapids MI USA
The ***8216;Bota was ran slam out of fuel & it had to be bled basically all the way back to the tank?

$5 says You don***8217;t let that happen again. [emoji16]
Heath don't you have some place to be lol. Good to see you over here.
Nope, the filter was still totally full :).
I think it must have had an air pocket between the air filter and the lift pump, the only thing I did different today was to let it run a little longer on the upstream side of the lift pump.
And if it means I can get $5 off you I'll try it again :cool:

Last edited:

hseII

Aug 18, 2018
West Georgia
Heath don't you have some place to be lol. Good to see you over here.

Nope, the filter was still totally full :).

I think it must have had an air pocket between the air filter and the lift pump, the only thing I did different today was to let it run a little longer on the upstream side of the lift pump.

And if it means I can get $5 off you I'll try it again :cool:

I’m working on my Stone Cold stare:

Obligatory Kubota Picture-

Be safe B Rett!

chipper1

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800
Sep 19, 2018
Grand Rapids MI USA
I***8217;m working on my Stone Cold stare:

Be safe B Rett!
I'm feeling it :eek:.
Looks good. I haven't done much tree work this summer, just little stuff, been kinda boring. I've done a few landscaping jobs though that paid pretty well, gotta do what you gotta do to make a buck. I'll be selling a bunch of saws this fall, not that I have to, but I want to be ready for the sales in jan and feb :D.
See you on the other side.

chipper1

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800
Sep 19, 2018
Grand Rapids MI USA
So I finally got a bit of time today so I pulled the fuel shut off and tried to start it with no luck :(. Then I had my son turn the key on with it plugged in and it didn't do anything :(, then I thought heck it needs to be grounded so I grounded it to a fastener on the injection pump and click in, and then back out with the key off :). So I stuck my finger in there to see what the heck I could feel and I could feel what seemed to be the flat end of a round plastic plunger(picture a syringe piston but larger), I could push it in easily with my hand. So I reinstalled it since it seemed to be working just fine. I then went to the injection pump side if the lift pump and pulled the line, I had a pan and caught the fluid and just let it run for a bit to see if there was any air in there, nothing and it was flowing quite freely so as long as the injection pump was working properly and the fuel shut off was working/getting the proper voltage then the tractor should start. I still had the front injector line disconnected and I tried to start the engine with the bleeder valve on the lift pump open(to the left) and it didn't fire, then I tried it with the bleeder to the right and it fired up:D, so I shut it off and tightened the line on the front injector and then tried to start it and it fired right up, it was spitting and sputtering for a moment, then it cleared up whoot whoot.
I think the whole time it must have just had an air lock somewhere, the only thing I did different was to let the fuel flow a little longer on the upstream side of the lift pump(maybe the prayers helped a little too). Also the fuel gauge started working as soon as it fired up :).
I'm hopeful it was only air in the line somewhere, but either way I will report back after I get some hrs on it.
Thanks to everyone for the help I really appreciate it.
Brett
Just wanted to leave an update and let folks know all has been great on the bota since the post above.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for the update and glad to hear its been working as it should.