Kubota L245DT PTO

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
My Kubota L245DT has a live pto. I recently got it back from the dealer after they put new bearings in my front wheels and took it for a test drive. I noticed that the rear pto was turning even when I had the pto gear in neutral. Is this normal? I didn't think it turned before unless I had pto in gear and drove the tractor, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention in the past. If this is not normal, what needs to be done?
Thanks,

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's normal. But double check to make sure the shifter is in neutral. Then a quick test to make sure it's not stuck in gear, is to wedge a Lengh of 2x4 up to it and it should stop spinning with no effort. Or hook an implement to the pto shaft with the tractor shut down. Then start the tractor, it should keep it from spinning.

My l1501 does that when nothing is hooked to it. It just spins slowly till the oil warms up. Once the oil warms up, it stops spinning.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The L245DT doesn't have a live pto - there is no separate pto clutch. The L245 has a single dry clutch that drives everything including the pto. With the pto shift lever in neutral, the shaft may turn but will stop easily - only oil viscosity is turning it.

Last edited:

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Maybe I was wrong about the live pto, but based on what I've read, I thought it was. Anyway, sounds like I was wrong. Another question. I haven't used this tractor in a couple of years (long story). When I ran the brush hog, my rpms were above 3000. Seems like running it before it was around 2300. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be. What should normal rpms on tractor be when running the rear pto with a brush hog? I was in low range, usually 2nd or 3rd gear.
Thanks again.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Your memory is probably right. Rotary cutters should be driven at 540 pto shaft rpm. I'm guessing your L245 has a 2-speed pto, and the pto shifter has L-N-H positions. With the pto in L, the engine has to run faster to turn the shaft at 540 rpm. If in H, the engine goes slower for 540 at the shaft. The engine makes more power at higher rpm, but ground speed is affected too. You can experiment to find the combination that seems to work best.

Last edited:

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Actually, my pto has 3 speeds, so I'm guessing 3rd gear would be best. I'll try later today.
Thanks.

While, I'm thinking of it, I have a small hydraulic leak at both gear shifts (pto and transmission). How difficult are those to replace? I'm not an expert, but I've done more work on this tractor myself than I ever thought I could so if it's not too difficult, I'll like to tackle them.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
For your rotary cutter, 2nd and 3rd gear on the pto are probably gonna be too fast. Mine has a 4 speed pto, and for the finish mower I sometimes will put the pto in second gear. For my howse rotary cutter, I wouldn't dream of using it in anything but 1st gear on the pto. That stump jumper takes a lot of torque to get it wound up. I would be afraid I would break something running it any faster ;)

For your hydraulic leak, check the tranny vent under your seat. Looks like a sideways question mark. Mud dobbers absolutely love plugging them up. And if the transmission doesn't vent, oil usually will leak around the gear shifter,

Last edited:

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Yeah, I thought running it too fast might not be good. It works well in 1st. Thanks for the heads up on the mud dobbers. I'd forgotten about that. I had to clean it once before a couple of years ago.

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Where were you saying mud dobbers could cause a problem? I was thinking of another area. Attached are two pics under my seat taken from both sides.
I checked the hydraulic filter and it looks alright. The fact that the gear shifts only leak when I'm using my brush hog makes me think it has more to do with the rear hydraulic lift than the seals of the gear shifts. The guy at Kubota said the 0-rings in the gear shifts weren't hard to replace, but I can't figure how to get them off. Any advice on the hydraulics or gear shifts would be appreciated.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
In your first picture there is a piece of pipe sticking out of the side of the transmission. It has a bend that resembles a question mark and doesn't go anywhere. That's the vent for the transmission. Mud dobbers love to plug that bugger up. That pipe just screws into the side of the transmission. But it can be a bugger to unscrew it. Then I usually just clean it out with a coat hanger.

Some people will clamp a piece of screen to it, or even a piece of an old sock or rag, after its been cleaned out to keep the mud dobbers out of it :)

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Thanks, I didn't know that question mark thing unscrewed. How do mud dobbers get into some of the place they do. Someone also told me there's small vent on top of the hydraulic fill cap that can be cleaned with a paper clip. I haven't looked yet. I hope this solves the problem. I've seen posts on other sites that say that is most likely the problem. Sure would beat installing new o-rings.

Thanks again.