Kubota HST concerns.

StephenR

Feb 12, 2024
Kentucky
Hello Kubota users.

We are downsizing and I am going to sell my 2 Ford tractors, both 2wd, and get a 35hp Kubota 4wd with loader and backhoe. I will only have 4 acres, but I have a lot of trees and stumps I want to clear. I am looking for a used tractor and I am seeing a whole lot of HST Kubotas out there. I do my own maintenance and repairs, so I want to keep it simple and try to stay with a geared transmission with a shuttle shift.

I am interested in hearing about other's experiences with the HST tractors.

Thanks
Steve

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you are going to do a lot of Forward-Backward changes - HST wins hand down,

IF you are simple going to move from one point to another - gear will be fine.

THE only disadvantage of an HST is that fact you will lose more at the PTO than a geared PTO.

From a standpoint of longevity, you'll change a couple of clutches before the HST goes south - assuming you place and change the hydraulic oil as it should be changed.

I use to be a gear fan - never again - HST is just so much faster, assuming you are changing direction and speeds.

Find an "older" Kubota - non TIER IV machine - life will be better!

Reactions: 3 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If you are going to be removing a lot of stumps try to find a good low hour Kubota TLB like a L39 or L45 these machines are around the HP rating and are pre emission machines that will be very capable of doing the task you described. Spend a little more time finding a good used TLB it will save you that time many times over in the amount of work it will do compared to a tractor with a backhoe attachment hanging on the back of it.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Since you said the L word (loader), HST is the only way to go. You can devote 100% of your arms to steering and loader joystick control, which you cannot do with a gear drive or GST. This allows you more precise and efficient loader operation.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota HST's are no more of a maintenance issue than a geared tractor.
In fact they tend to be less as they are not as hard on the clutch.
Kubota HST's have a very very good track record.

Reactions: 4 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
4 acres, trees and stumps. We'll go where we always go. Are you sure a tractor is the right machine? An excavator will do stumps way better. Depends if you also want to mow, maintain driveway, clear snow etc. If it's mainly trees and stumps, an excavator is better.

With that out of the way, yes, HST is very durable and generally better unless you're really hung up on PTO horsepower. And if you are that tight for PTO horsepower, you should buy the next size up tractor, not worry over HST v's geared.

TLB, with quick attach, with third function, with grapple, would be my ideal for that job. Second best would be a good solid loader machine, and rent an excavator occasionally and do a day worth of stumps.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Mow/ tilling long plots...go for a clutch. Clearing woods and stumps/ brush....go HST. The fore and aft will crush you.
TBH, depending on what lays before you, a track loader may be a better bet.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello Kubota users.

We are downsizing and I am going to sell my 2 Ford tractors, both 2wd, and get a 35hp Kubota 4wd with loader and backhoe. I will only have 4 acres, but I have a lot of trees and stumps I want to clear. I am looking for a used tractor and I am seeing a whole lot of HST Kubotas out there. I do my own maintenance and repairs, so I want to keep it simple and try to stay with a geared transmission with a shuttle shift.

I am interested in hearing about other's experiences with the HST tractors.

Thanks
Steve
I dont know what Ford tractors you currently have but I can guess the vintage and whst you are accustomed to. You are not going to find anything that simple in a modern 4WD diesel tractor. Period.

An older L series with gear transmission is about the closest. HSTs are pretty reliable but not something you are likely going to fix yourself. If it breaks Kubota parts and service is EXPENSIVE.

Buy too old and you will be buying a maintence issue, down time, and expense. Newer and you get fewer problems but more complexity in engine controls and safety circuits.

Your sweet spot is probably something in the low hour 15 year old machine world. Probably also want something with some physical size and 30+ HP. Again market in that vintage 4WD machines with loaders is going to be predominantly HST.

Dan

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Go for a test drive. The new machines with electronic controlled hydro work nice and slick. The old school mechanical pedal system tractors were less desirable IMHO.

If you are doing loader work, mowing, landscaping you get infinitely variable speed control with the HST, superior for fine work. I wish mine had cruise control for mowing.

Buy or rent a different machine like a mini-x if you are pulling stumps, a SCUT/CUT isn't designed to handle that hard work.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
You stated you are looking at Kubota in the 35HP, which I have L3560. No backhoe, though, but the tractor has been wonderful.

I have had an issue with the tractor. Kubota paints on the filters and they are stupid hard to get off the first time. After the first time getting the filter off, then no issues.

Other than the filter being superglued on the tractor by the paint, no issues with the HST+ transmission. I really like the easy of changing directions and makes loader work easy. In addition, makes mowing easy.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you are going to be removing a lot of stumps try to find a good low hour Kubota TLB like a L39 or L45 these machines are around the HP rating and are pre emission machines that will be very capable of doing the task you described. Spend a little more time finding a good used TLB it will save you that time many times over in the amount of work it will do compared to a tractor with a backhoe attachment hanging on the back of it.
"Spend a little more time finding a good used TLB"
GOOD advice!

Now.......what is the definition of "a little more"?

In 1986, when I bought my 3400 Ford (10' cemetery hoe) I spent TWO YEARS looking!
Spent 9 months (2019-20) looking for my L48 TLB,.....and it came to me with only 251 orig. hours!
GREAT machine!
Private sale......found it on Craigs List.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have both HST and gear drive tractors, and if I have to part with one it's the HST first .... no doubt about it. @StephenR , you have to take into account your audience when you ask questions on this forum. Remember, farmers all over the world use gear drive tractors to do all manner of real work requiring precise control of the tractor.

If you're able, go test drive a gear drive tractor with hydraulic shuttle and compare it to HST. You might be surprised by what you discover. I wish the MX6000 with a cab was available as a gear drive, but even better, if the MX6000 was a scaled down version of the M6060/7060.

There are a lot of advantages to a gear drive tractor including less noise, more power to the ground, and less heat generated. I much prefer cutting big fields with the M6060 than the MX6000. It's better in every way possible.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I like TLBs, the real TLBs like B26, L39,L45/47, M59/62. Heavier, stronger better operator platforms, stronger more integrated backhoes.

The B26 swings well above its hp rating. Common rental even from Home Depot. Might consider renting one for the weekend to se if it might be for you? Nothing like trying a piece of equipment out before you buy.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
For mowing and tilling, HST is the best since you can easily adjust your speed so you are not bogging down the mower. My cruise control helps out on any long stretches I might have. The older I get the more I love HST - super easy to drive and work with. (y)

HST protects itself with a bypass valve that prevents any damage to be done to the HST.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Kubota HST's are no more of a maintenance issue than a geared tractor.
In fact they tend to be less as they are not as hard on the clutch.
Kubota HST's have a very very good track record.
AND...

... teh BX series engines don't make enough oomph to be a threat to the driveline; final or otherwise.

They mow grass for infinity.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have both HST and gear drive tractors, and if I have to part with one it's the HST first .... no doubt about it. @StephenR , you have to take into account your audience when you ask questions on this forum. Remember, farmers all over the world use gear drive tractors to do all manner of real work requiring precise control of the tractor.

If you're able, go test drive a gear drive tractor with hydraulic shuttle and compare it to HST. You might be surprised by what you discover. I wish the MX6000 with a cab was available as a gear drive, but even better, if the MX6000 was a scaled down version of the M6060/7060.

There are a lot of advantages to a gear drive tractor including less noise, more power to the ground, and less heat generated. I much prefer cutting big fields with the M6060 than the MX6000. It's better in every way possible.
As I read the original post he says he has 4 acres ! Your comments might be important to him if he had more land. Once he gets the trees removed he won't need much, no matter what it is.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Personal infinity or real infinity :D

Dan
Theoretical since I'm not convinced the universe permits infinity to exist.

Infinity is unreal, and as we all know nothing unreal exists.

(y)

• Haha

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Absolutely gears for cutting or plowing big fields. For 4 acres, HST all the way. It’s more of a stop, start, turn situation that the OP is talking about.