Kubota G1900 Won't Start

LS72

Apr 9, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
I have a new battery, and terminals are all good. I can remove the small wire from the starter and cross jump from the positive side using screwdriver and it starts up. I believe I may have a bad safety switch somewhere but unsure. Under the seat looks good as far as safety seat goes. I put in new fuses just to be safe, although the old ones look fine. Lights come on, etc... just when I turn the key I get absolutely nothing. Any thoughts or ideas is appreciated.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Do you get a click at all? If so you may want to do what I did and install a helper relay. I tried all kind of things. Cleaned and or temporarily bypassed switches, new starter, new ignition switch and so on. Finally gave up. Installed the relay and bam, instant starts all the time

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Your mower also has a fusible link near the front of the engine. You might check that as well. You should also has a safety switch on the pto. Both those things will cause your problem. Lmichael's relay suggestion is likely your problem.

LS72

Apr 9, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Do you get a click at all? If so you may want to do what I did and install a helper relay. I tried all kind of things. Cleaned and or temporarily bypassed switches, new starter, new ignition switch and so on. Finally gave up. Installed the relay and bam, instant starts all the time
Thanks for the reply. I get no click sound at all when turning the key, just the lights on the dashboard and when I turn the key I get nothing. I'll research the relay and see if that may help. Thank You

LS72

Apr 9, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Your mower also has a fusible link near the front of the engine. You might check that as well. You should also has a safety switch on the pto. Both those things will cause your problem. Lmichael's relay suggestion is likely your problem.
Thank you, is there a diagram or some documentation on where I can find this fusible link near the front of the engine. Also, I do think it may be a safety switch on the pto, but no idea where its located. But I do think that is the root cause. Thank you

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Thanks for the reply. I get no click sound at all when turning the key, just the lights on the dashboard and when I turn the key I get nothing. I'll research the relay and see if that may help. Thank You
If you're not getting a "click" from the solenoid the relay likely will not help. You're apparently getting no voltage to your solenoid. In my case I was intermittently getting low voltage and current. Enough to make it "click" but not enough to make it fully engage the starter motor. With the relay it brings full voltage/current to the solenoid and fires the starter every time

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If the dash lights come on I expect the fusible link or slow blow fuse would be OK.

forum G1800 troubleshooting.jpg

forum G1800 combination box.jpg

forum G1800 combination box tests.jpg

Review attached pages for seat and pto safety switch testing
Dave

Attachments

LS72

Apr 9, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
So update so far. I have replaced the fusible link, by passed the safety seat switch and replaced all fuses. Still no luck. Next step is to replace the PTO safety switch, and if that doesn't work will have to call local dealership for service :(

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there's a pto switch-test it with a volt/ohm meter (simple operation).
there's also a brake safety switch and it's the same kinda switch as the pto, on and off. Test it the same way.

Seat switch has zero affect on the starting circuit, so hook it back up like it's supposed to be.

if the pto and brake switch are ok, you will likely either have bad wiring bad combination box or perhaps bad key switch. The wiring on these old G series sucks, plain and simple. I sold and serviced them when they first came out until the day they were replaced. Wiring issues were common from day #1. Switches wiring connectors grounds etc. Great mower otherwise.