Kubota G1800 lawn mower starting issues

RDabbs

Apr 26, 2020
Amory
I recently picked up a used G1800. In order to start it, I have to jiggle the PTO lever and get it in just the right position for the engine to start. Once started, the engine runs fine and everything. Is there some kind of adjustment for this or bad PTO safety switch?

Also, if I get off the seat, the engine will cut off even if the parking brake is set. ??

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
Hi I too recently acquired not a G1800 but a G1900 ( same except slightly larger engine). When I got mine I too had to pull the PTO engagement lever towards you if sitting in the seat to allow it to crank. As I was going through everything I noticed that the PTO bracket spring mechanism on the front down by the pulley was bent and not springing back to the correct off position when the lever was disengaged so the limit switch was not making good contact. So I was able to bend the moving bracket back in its original position and all is well now. Yours sounds as though it could be the switch as you have to jiggle it. Sitting on the seat remove the inlet air screen under the steering wheel and look on the right side you will see the switch when you move the lever back and forth. There is some adjustment to it if it is not making good contact. The seat sounds like it may be normal. My seat switch does not work at all and I am fine with that.
Now in a nutshell what I have learned about these in my 2 months of ownership.
If you like Garden Tractors these are tough to beat. The diesel engine is very reliable and will last a long time if oil is changed and not allowed to over heat while operating.
Its weak points are the driveshaft design that meets the transmission is not greaseable and this leads to universal joint failure which is a kinda hard job if not mechanically inclined or very expensive if you have to pay to do it. I just replace mine and was not bad I just pulled engine to make it easy to get at.
The electrical system on these are known to be sketchy. The safety switches lead to a no start condition sometimes and the key switch is known to go bad on some couple that with the electrical combination box ( left side bottom of engine black box ) that is sort of a brain can go out things can get confusing on troubleshooting. Case in point on mine electrically everything works except... the glow plug indicator does not light up, bulb is good. When I first got it neither the fuel or temp gauge worked at the same time now they seem fine. My seat switch is not jumped and even unplugged it does not affect anything. I think I maybe have a combination box going bad or a key switch but till my problems get worse or I find another combination box to try I am going to just live with it as is. Any more questions just ask and I will try to confuse ya a bit more
22R

Last edited:

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
One more thing mine is missing the fuel cut solenoid I just rigged a manual pull knob to kill it instead so I wonder if it had one that went bad or if that is another possible issue that would indicate the combo box on mine ?
Again electrical gremlins and driveshaft pay close attention to

Seans68

Equipment
G1800
Jul 21, 2020
Have a G1800 that all of a sudden stopped running. No lights on dash, all completely dead. Battery good and key switch getting power in and power out. Is the box combination the suspect? No way of testing these I guess?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
pto switch bad. Not uncommon.

Seans68--typical electrical issue. These old G series mowers are notorious for electrical issues. The connectors are not sealed, they get wet, corrode and then they develop heat and burn up the connector. There is one next to the engine, a couple under the steering wheel, and then one big one under the radiator-and that one is always problematic. Take them apart and clean them up good. Also clean up the fuse holder, the blade fuses, and if you have a later one you'll also have a slow-blow fuse next to the starter that tends to corrode. Clean it up too. Once all that's done, you can start to blame the combination box.

Reactions: 1 user

Seans68

Equipment
G1800
Jul 21, 2020
pto switch bad. Not uncommon.

Seans68--typical electrical issue. These old G series mowers are notorious for electrical issues. The connectors are not sealed, they get wet, corrode and then they develop heat and burn up the connector. There is one next to the engine, a couple under the steering wheel, and then one big one under the radiator-and that one is always problematic. Take them apart and clean them up good. Also clean up the fuse holder, the blade fuses, and if you have a later one you'll also have a slow-blow fuse next to the starter that tends to corrode. Clean it up too. Once all that's done, you can start to blame the combination box.
Thank you! I’ll start there and hopefully save $180

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
the engine will stop if you get off the seat when pto-blades are engaged disengage the pto and you can get off engine will continue to run good luck

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
I recently picked up a used G1800. In order to start it, I have to jiggle the PTO lever and get it in just the right position for the engine to start. Once started, the engine runs fine and everything. Is there some kind of adjustment for this or bad PTO safety switch?

Also, if I get off the seat, the engine will cut off even if the parking brake is set. ??
Check your PMs I messaged you