Kubota F3680 rear axle Oil leak

Jimmy123

Equipment
Kubota F3680
Dec 31, 2023
Europe
F3680 rear axle oil leak

Hey guys! Happy new year!

I noticed oil leaking from the rear axle on my Kubota F3680 mower. The oil is leaking where the rear drive shaft is located.

Now, I wonder what would be the easist way to change the oil seal (I have never done it before)? Is there a trick how to do it without full disassemble of the rear axle? Or can I maybe do something else to stop the oil leak without the need to change the oil seal?

Oil is leaking only when I drive the mower. When it's stattionary the leaking stops.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wow, for SURE the housing is damaged ! Maybe the Ujoint broke ? Can't think of wehat else would take out the housing and not do more damage.
Bet it's a pricey part...... if it's the 'ass'y holder' ,is only $275 Cdn..... cough,cough. BUT not that hard to R&R.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Jimmy123

Equipment
Kubota F3680
Dec 31, 2023
Europe
wow, for SURE the housing is damaged ! Maybe the Ujoint broke ? Can't think of wehat else would take out the housing and not do more damage.
Bet it's a pricey part...... if it's the 'ass'y holder' ,is only $275 Cdn..... cough,cough. BUT not that hard to R&R.

Yeah, I have no idea hat happened here. Bought this machine few weeks ago for a nice price from the reseller. Also the rear PTO shaft is missing (I guess something bad happened here haha). Idk if this is worth repairing knowing that I can get the whole rear axle for 250$ from a guy nearby.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Well to me, it make sense and cents to buy the complete axle providing it's in 'field ready' condition. Install it then use yours for future spare parts ??

Reactions: 2 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
F3680 rear axle oil leak

Hey guys! Happy new year!

I noticed oil leaking from the rear axle on my Kubota F3680 mower. The oil is leaking where the rear drive shaft is located.

Now, I wonder what would be the easist way to change the oil seal (I have never done it before)? Is there a trick how to do it without full disassemble of the rear axle? Or can I maybe do something else to stop the oil leak without the need to change the oil seal?

Oil is leaking only when I drive the mower. When it's stattionary the leaking stops.
Yea, that’s done. You may be ably to cake some gasket maker around the seal, but no idea if it would hold. No disassembly required, seal goes in over shaft.
Before buying a new axle, check the mounts on frame where axle bolts on. I have 2 at work that have broken all 4 and needed welded back.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
No U joint on the propeller shaft. Only 2 slip collars.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm, curious as to HOW it got broken.
have a possible, low cost fix after looking at your picture..
The seal ( #060) is $17 CDN, I'd buy 2 of them.

Now, raise the machine up high , well supported so you can COMFORTABLY get underneath, easily
Drain oil down, so NONE can drip out
Clean the casting, really, really good.
Now, clean it again, better
Have a coffee break and
Clean the casting, really, really good.
Now, clean it again, even better
Use some 5 minute epoxy, smear the upper right 'face' portion of the casting and the backside of the seal.
Slide seal over the shaft ,press into the smeared epoxy.Hold until firm
Have another coffee break
Now mix up small amounts of JBWeld ( metal epoxy) and 'build up' /'fill in' where the casting is missing in the lower left. You want several 'layers', adding a new layer ONLY after lower one is really,really firm.
This may take quite awhile,depending on how fast the JBWeld hardens.
Once you have is totally filled in, then smear a 'top coat' of JBWeld onto the whole casting ,say 1/8" ( 3mm) thick. You might even consider putting a section of tin can around it.
Patience and cleanliness are the keys to success.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you do get a replacement axle, make sure you get the holder (top pic) that's the only part you really need.
The seal fit is into this holder, but you also need the drive shaft and couplings in it to seal it up.
No amount of Bubblegum and Band-Aids is going to make it right.
And an F3680 really need the 4wd to work properly.

1704175924563.png

1704175838864.png