Kubota d722 from fixed to variable speed

miller09

Nov 24, 2015
mercer,pa
Could some one tell me what i need to change a fixed speed d722 out of a generator to variable speed for a tractor? I changed the throttle arm to a variable speed and backed the screw out all the way and it still runs at 1700rpm. So then i adjusted the idle screw on the side of the pump with no change. I can speed it up with the lever or pump idle screw but no amount of adjustment will slow the idle down. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I do believe you'll need to change the governor assembly in order to get it to be a variable speed engine.

But post a few pictures of the front, top, and rear around the injection pump.

miller09

Nov 24, 2015
mercer,pa
Ok just to clarify i have to remove the front cover to change out the governor assembly correct?

miller09

Nov 24, 2015
mercer,pa
Ok thanks. I ordered the governor assembly should be here in a few days i will update the results

miller09

Nov 24, 2015
mercer,pa
Ok just an update for anyone else wanting to do this. All you really need is 4 more weights for the governor/injection pump cam and the governor spring. Not sure if kubota sells the weights seperate or not but they look like ball bearings. I bought the complete governor assembly used and all other parts were identical. So i put the weights in my original fuel pump cam so i didn't have to reset the fuel pump timing. Changed the spring it was a different length Idles at 1100 rpm now. Thanks wolfman