Kubota B3300SU won't start. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Lars Pleines

Equipment
2012 Kubota B3300SU
Mar 5, 2023
Port Angeles, Washington
My 2012 Kubota B3300SU has only 389 hours but has provided 10 years of flawless service of which I am thankful for. I used it for 15 minutes yesterday, but today it won't start. The starting lights on the dash don't light up (including the glow plugs light). It won't crank over. The battery terminals are clean and it registers 70% and 12.4 volts. I cleaned the clean terminals and charged the battery anyhow. The fuses are all good. I looked at the seat switch, PTO switch and neutral switch for the fwd & reverse pedals which are depressed as required. I tried to get the dash off but am stuck figuring it out and don't want to break anything. I could see in under it well enough to notice spider webs but no sign of mice using it as a condo. I am puzzled and have no dealerships or repair men around my area. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, including how to get that dash off so I could check other things. Even better, would be if you know of what might be the problem and how to fix it without removing the dash.
Thanks again!
Lars

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The starting lights on the dash don't light up (including the glow plugs light).

This suggests a power problem, rather than a safety switch.

Clean terminals don't prove good cables. Check the other end of those battery cables. If the ground connection is grungy, it can prevent starting. Same for the battery cable. And the cables themselves can be bad, and look fine.

Do you get ANY lights at all?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Take battery to an autoparts store - have them do a load test on it.

Eliminate the obvious and easy problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Frame ground connection is the #1 culprit for these type of failures.

Lars Pleines

Equipment
2012 Kubota B3300SU
Mar 5, 2023
Port Angeles, Washington
This suggests a power problem, rather than a safety switch.

Clean terminals don't prove good cables. Check the other end of those battery cables. If the ground connection is grungy, it can prevent starting. Same for the battery cable. And the cables themselves can be bad, and look fine.

Do you get ANY lights at all?
No, I don't have any lights at all. Thank you for your suggestions SO much! I will those things tomorrow. I looked at the negative ground wire where it attaches to the frame and it is very clean. However, It might be worth loosening it and taking a wire brush to all surfaces. I will also take the battery to a parts store and have it checked. A 10 year old battery could have a problem although the green in the sight glass on the battery suggests it is good. It's always worth checking and rechecking out the easy things first.
Thanks again for taking the time to try and trouble shoot this.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Load test coming up tomorrow morning! Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
Sometimes a "good" battery will .... quit for no real good reason;)

Reactions: 1 user

Lars Pleines

Equipment
2012 Kubota B3300SU
Mar 5, 2023
Port Angeles, Washington
Any news?
Thank you SO much for your help!! I had too many chores at home to get to town yesterday. However, today I went to 3 places to check the battery. All 3 said the battery was bad, that the voltage was 12.4 as I read but the problems was with the low ampere. I learned it is worth your while to check around. The first place want $200 for the battery, the 2nd was $180 and the 3rd was $140. That worked for me so I came home and put it in the tractor, said a prayer and I saw the light, 3 of them! Praise the Lord! I also gave thanks for YOU for taking the time to share your knowledge.

A Big thanks from me and the girls to you and everyone who was willing to help!
56A89AAF-6E22-4D30-AC6C-F306B398FDF8_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Glad it was a somewhat simple fix. Lots of great members and advice on here.