Kubota B1550

The_Humbler

Equipment
Yanmar YM146
Aug 25, 2010
Middleboro, MA
Hello, first post here. I am trying to work out a trade for my Yanmar YM146 for a B1550 4x4. The B1550 has 2500 hours on it, but, it has a rebuilt engine (by the dealer) along with a mmm and ROPS. My Yanmar has 1200 hours on it and a tow behind Swisher mower.

My question is, when I go to look at the B1550, is there anything in particular I should look at that that model may be notorious for failing or wearing quickly? I know they're fairly bulletproof, but this guy has had the tractor for sale for at least a month for a reasonable price and he's still got it. He says he has all the papers for the repair work from the dealer (claiims has has over $6500 in it total since he bought it at auction from a municipality) so I can't figure why he's still got the thing. Is it because it doesn't have an FEL or something? It does have the three point in the rear.

morris9460

Equipment
B2400 La351, Yanmar 1110d, 4'rear mower, 50 gal. sprayer, tiller,rake,front plow
Aug 26, 2010
Elk River Mn
Start it and look for excessive smoke while running. Check it under a load, listen for excessive tranny whine under load also. Alot of people consider 2600 hours high ( I dont). Find out what he means by engine rebuilt. Does that mean just the head and gasket redone or the whole engine. With that many hours it shoudnt need the whole engine rebuilt, maybe the head. Find out where it was done and call them. I had a b1750 with 1600 hrs, worked perfectly.
Lately Ive seen tractors just sittin and not selling.

The_Humbler

Equipment
Yanmar YM146
Aug 25, 2010
Middleboro, MA
There's actually a YouTube video of the tractor if you go there and type in Kubota B1550 he made a video of it cutting excessively high grass to show potential buyers how nicely it cut. Doesn't blow smoke at start up.

According to him, a rod bearing was wiped out and he had the crank pressed out, cut, etc. It was not just the head, as he thought it was when he bought it. He claims to have receipts for I think around $4000 just for the engine rebuild. He also told me the dealer told him he could spend $1200 to "get it to run right" or he could fix it to last. Since he was planning on keeping it, he spent all the $.

I know what you mean. I was watching a JD 430 HST on e-bay for about a month not meet the reserve over and over again. It needed one front tire and the deck was rusty. I called to find out if I could make a deal and the guy told me $3900 plus shipping! Tractor had a soft cab and a MMM and it had just over 2000 hours on it! I told him I couldn't come anywhere near that, as the highest bid I saw was $1850 in the month I watched it.