Kubota 057-4 running hot

emac

Equipment
L3600, ZD1211, ZG20, ZD331, KX-057-4
Sep 13, 2021
SC
I recently bought a 2019 057 with 300hrs on it. Very good condition. We have used it a number of times and it has worked flawlessly. Today it started to get hot doing light work. Let it idle and it cools down but not all the way.

Rad is clean, belt is good. Fan is pulling lots of air through rad. Plenty of good green antifreeze. I am thinking the thermostat is stuck closed. Expansion tank was pretty full, rad is very full and didnt seem to have much pressure when I removed the cap (I had a big towel over it and slowly opened it when hot and nothing. No steam or gurgling. Motor did seem pretty warm, so I think the gauge is right.

I am thinking either cap or thermostat. First kubota motor I have ever had an issue with. It looks like I can get to the thermostat through an access panel in the cab. Anyone ever have an issue like this? Guess I need to get a service manual too! Thanks.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I think you’re on the right track. You can pull the thermostat and boil it in water to see if it’s operating at temperature. If so the cap can be tested with a tester available at a decent parts store. Past that, maybe a faulty gauge/sending unit. Check actual temp with a infrared thermometer if available.

Reactions: 1 user

emac

Equipment
L3600, ZD1211, ZG20, ZD331, KX-057-4
Sep 13, 2021
SC
I think you’re on the right track. You can pull the thermostat and boil it in water to see if it’s operating at temperature. If so the cap can be tested with a tester available at a decent parts store. Past that, maybe a faulty gauge/sending unit. Check actual temp with a infrared thermometer if available.
Thanks, that is my plan. I spent the extra $ on this one because it had such low hours, just hope its something simple.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When referring to your new unit it really helps if you give the whole model number, including the sub number.
If you don't know it give me the serial number and I can tell you what it is.