KTAC vs KOPP

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
So I get this email the other day from Kubota regarding my warranty for my L4060HSTC-LE. Has anyone bought the Orange Protection Plan and how does it differ from KTAC? Has anyone actually used it and was it worth it?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My understanding is that the OPP is and extension of the factory warranty. TAC is insurance against damage.
In common terms, your car is insured against an impact with a guard rail. The car warranty covers you if the fuel pump dies.

Reactions: 1 user

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
From what I have read of KTAC is if the HST or engine blows up, it would be covered, during the span of the loan. Things like alternator or similar part would not, but the chances of repairs are so low that an extended warranty would be useless.

Mine keeps popping an EGR code, but I keep getting blown off by the dealer and lets just say, thats not how it's done.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Extended warranties and lotteries are for people who are bad at math.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Extended warranties and lotteries are for people who are bad at math.
I am quite good at math, and I can say that my investment of $2500 in 2016 was the best investment I could have made then. So far Ford Motor Company has paid over 8000 dollars to repair our 2016 Ford Explorer. We live on an old abandoned town road that is well-traveled and full of potholes. As fast as the road is repaired, it will go to hell after the next rainstorm. Just this past fall, the entire front suspension and steering were worn out and that bill alone was just under 4000 dollars. Everything was covered and my only expense was the $100 deductible. In the past, I have had Mercedes, Cadillacs, Pontiacs, and Buicks and they all suffered the same no matter how slowly you go over the road. Since I don't have any ownership of the road, I have no say in how it is maintained. If I did, I would have had it paved by now. The best part is that the Ford dealership takes good care of their customers and doesn't try to get out of doing the needed repairs. The expense of tires, brakes, exhaust, oil changes, etc. are not part of the warranty package, but they would be needed no matter what brand of automobile I owned.
Sometimes an extended warranty makes sense and other times it doesn't. On a tractor, I can't see any reason for it, since it doesn't get the abuse a car can get.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am quite good at math, and I can say that my investment of $2500 in 2016 was the best investment I could have made then. So far Ford Motor Company has paid over 8000 dollars to repair our 2016 Ford Explorer. We live on an old abandoned town road that is well-traveled and full of potholes. As fast as the road is repaired, it will go to hell after the next rainstorm. Just this past fall, the entire front suspension and steering were worn out and that bill alone was just under 4000 dollars. Everything was covered and my only expense was the $100 deductible. In the past, I have had Mercedes, Cadillacs, Pontiacs, and Buicks and they all suffered the same no matter how slowly you go over the road. Since I don't have any ownership of the road, I have no say in how it is maintained. If I did, I would have had it paved by now. The best part is that the Ford dealership takes good care of their customers and doesn't try to get out of doing the needed repairs. The expense of tires, brakes, exhaust, oil changes, etc. are not part of the warranty package, but they would be needed no matter what brand of automobile I owned.
Sometimes an extended warranty makes sense and other times it doesn't. On a tractor, I can't see any reason for it, since it doesn't get the abuse a car can get.
The REST of the equation, however, is: All those other people who bought extended warranties paid for YOUR situation. They didn’t do the math….which makes extended warranties a PROFIT item for the dealers. (If they didn’t make money on extended warranties mfr’s/dealers wouldn’t offer them.)

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Known fact, Ford Motor spends more money doing warranty repairs than GM and Chrysler (Selantis) combined. It isn't because their cars are of lesser quality, but because they take better care of their customers. I know people who own Chevrolet and GMC trucks that have to fight to get the dealers to warranty repairs. One person that I know kept bringing her Cadillac in for routine service and the Service person kept telling her that oil changes were based on the computer percentages of oil life left. The engine failed about a month before the warranty was up and the dealership told her that it wouldn't be replaced because she didn't have oil changes at the intervals spelled out in the maintenance book. She pointed out that the oil changes were due at 10,000-mile intervals or when it reached 0% oil life left. She showed the factory representative all the notes from the service department that the oil change wasn't due at that time showing what the oil life monitor said the percentage was. She was ready to take GM and the dealership to court over this when they backed down and replaced the engine. When she got it back she traded it to another brand of automobile dealership. She had been a loyal Cadillac owner for decades buying new cars every few years.
That is how GM takes care of its customers!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The two last new vehicles we bought (Stellantis and Ford) got extended warranties. Paid many times over on both. Where the dealers male the money on them is not because they don't pay off for the owners. It's because they don't expect people to keep them for very long. The average length of ownership in the US pre WuFlu was 5.5 years. In 2018 it was under 5.
In the OPs case, a Killer B is a relatively simple machine. Unlike modern cars, trucks and larger model tractors. I probably wouldn't bite on that. If I had a base model car, I wouldn't either.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I learned that it was $200 more to buy the extended warranty with 0 dollars deductible than it was to save the $200 and pay the deductible. On my 2019 Ford Explorer, I paid the extra $200 and I am already saving money. I found a Ford dealership that sells the extended warranty at the dealer's cost. When I found them on a Ford forum someone said that they sell more extended warranties than any other dealership in the country. The dealership is Twin Rivers Ford in Tennessee 800-900-1000

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My neighbor is an auto dealership general manager. He taught me how to get full value from an extended warranty. A few months before the warranty expired, I took my truck to the dealership and asked for a full inspection on the entire vehicle. We ended up replacing some engine seals and several other things that added up to more than the extended warranty cost.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Op is inquiring about a L4060 with a preexisting egr system issue though…
Well...reading is FUNdamental! I looked under his name and saw the B, not the L he actually posted about.
In that case, warranty that thing! OPP would probably be worth it! Lord knows Ford lost out when it came to the emissions on my truck.