Kingkutter tiller gear box question

BruceMyers48

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 6' Boxblade, 6' Mower
Nov 9, 2014
Zephyrhills, FL USA
I bought a new 5’ kingkutter tiller and when I went to check the tine gear box it only has grease in it. The manual said the gear boxes where shipped full. should I add gear oil to the tine gear box that has the grease in it. Thanks in advance for help.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm not sure which area you are talking about. I had to put gear oil in both gear boxes on mine. I have a King Kutter, but it is branded Rural King. I assume they would basically be the same. You have a weep plug on each gear box that you remove and then fill until it weeps out. I found with the middle gear box, I can just look down into the fill hole and the gear oil should just cover the gears, making it unnecessary to remove the weep plug.

You have to also grease the bearing on the end of the tiller.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I bought a new 5’ kingkutter tiller and when I went to check the tine gear box it only has grease in it. The manual said the gear boxes where shipped full. should I add gear oil to the tine gear box that has the grease in it. Thanks in advance for help.
HOW much grease was in it? And if new - I would contact the dealer, what specific model is it?
I am with Nicfin - should be gear oil in there, but ....maybe this model is different or someone made a mistake when filling.

is this the correct model?

1607434881392.png

Nodlenor

Equipment
BX2380 w/loader, tiller, blade, dirt scoup, & Woods 5' 3 pt. mower.
Nov 22, 2020
North central Missouri
HOW much grease was in it? And if new - I would contact the dealer, what specific model is it?
I am with Nicfin - should be gear oil in there, but ....maybe this model is different or someone made a mistake when filling.

is this the correct model?

View attachment 51731
I just purchased my 4’ king kutter a couple months ago and it has gear oil in both places. Don’t know what happened to yours but I would guess it should have gear oil also. I would contact the dealer about it.

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I have a King Kutter II (reverse tine gear drive 60 inch tiller) and it came with grease in the gear box. The manual said check oil before initial running. I opened the fill plug to check the oil and found it full of grease. I called the factory and asked them what's the story. They told me they are putting grease in there now and if I was to add some oil it wouldn't hurt anything at all. Ive run this unit for 3 years now and originally added about a cup of oil to get the level up and it has been just fine.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
The owners manual says that they ship greased, but you should half fill with gear oil. 80-90 or 85-140. The one on the side has a small (1/4"?) plug to check the level. You are just supposed to eyeball the top gearbox and fill it halfway w/ gear oil also.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I couldn't really gauge the consistency--I could see it but didn't fish any out to squeeze it. It didn't look all that thick, but did have chunks adhering to the gears. Not sure that I've ever actually seen cornhead grease but it seemed a little thicker than I imagine that.

There were big warnings in the manual to add oil, so it may have been a thicker grease they smeared on the gears to prevent rust in transit/while sitting on the lot.

Alloy Snake

Equipment
L4240,Lowry 6 foot mower,6 foot tiller
May 16, 2011
Jacksonville,FL
The side case on my 10 year old 6 footer takes 00 grease. Comes in a quart bottle like gear oil. Gear box takes gear oil.