Killed 2 Regulators B7100HST

pacaron

Equipment
B7100HST (old type)
Apr 23, 2009
Elizabeth, Colorado
Replaced the Dynamo.. Now puts out 20V (AC) @ high rpm.
Checked output of old regulator.. should be 14v it was <1v
good voltage going in. nothing coming out.
Replaced regulator @ $73 and change.:-(
put in new regulator.... same voltage (<1v) out the dc end.
again: good voltage going in. nothing coming out.

Ok I need to find out if I had a (new) bad regulator or ??
Need to fix the problem before I 'do' another regulator.
I've checked out both regulators with multi-meter (as if they are simple full phase rectifier.) both are bad.
Tractor starts hard (with jumper to car) and runs fine.

Can you point me to the possible problem area(s)?

Also: Is it possible to put in an old type voltage regulator (non-solid state) to get this running?

Thanks, Ron

steve01

Equipment
B7100D with a B219 loader, B3548 mower
Jun 30, 2009
Lake, Mi.
Could it be a bad battery? It should start with a jump easy. Load test the battery and see if it has a short. If the battery is good check grounds and be sure all are good. Have a look at the wires and be sure that you have no green on the connectors.
Good luck

pacaron

Equipment
B7100HST (old type)
Apr 23, 2009
Elizabeth, Colorado
I charged the battery with a charger.
The (NAPA) battery is only a year old.
So I started it with the battery only. Cranked over real fast.. then battery died fast.
Well we do need to take the battery back in to NAPA, get an adjustment + a new battery.

BUT:
Ok, follow me on this, I should be able to hook up the regulator to the dynamo (only) when it's putting out ~15V AC and get something in the range of 12-14v DC out of the regulator on a multi-meter.... right ?:confused:

The dynamo puts out 0-20V AC depending upon the rpm of the tractor.
And that still works !

thanks Steve,
Ron

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Ron,
did the battery issue solve your problem? I have a B7100 which had given me no problems until a month ago when she failed to start (Battery dead) so I got a new Battery and tried to check the charging system. volt meter would just barely show any charge at all at full throttle so I assumed there was a problem. My Kubota dealer told me to disconnect the dynamo and check AC voltage he said it should be in excess of 30 volts at full throttle. I ran the test as he instructed and got 32 volts AC at full throttle so I then assumed the regulator was bad one new regulator later mine still shows just barely any voltage increase at full throttle so I'm not sure a volt meter is the best way to check these regulators! I have purchased an old fashoned amp gauge and will install it to see if it shows positive current flow into the battery. I'll let you know how that turns out. I suspect that it will show the charging system working just fine since I haven't had a dead battery since installing the new one!

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Replaced the Dynamo.. Now puts out 20V (AC) @ high rpm.
Checked output of old regulator.. should be 14v it was <1v
good voltage going in. nothing coming out.
Replaced regulator @ $73 and change.:-(
put in new regulator.... same voltage (<1v) out the dc end.
again: good voltage going in. nothing coming out.

Ok I need to find out if I had a (new) bad regulator or ??
Need to fix the problem before I 'do' another regulator.
I've checked out both regulators with multi-meter (as if they are simple full phase rectifier.) both are bad.
Tractor starts hard (with jumper to car) and runs fine.

Can you point me to the possible problem areas.

Also: Is it possible to put in an old type voltage regulator (non-solid state) to get this running?

Thanks, Ron
Ron the bottom line is like you said the battery poles should be seeing any where from 12.9 volts DC at low idle to 13.94 at high idle and the fact that you are burning out regulators ( P/N 15372-64602 ) tells me you have a dead short allowing overcurrent to destroy the transistors, diodes and capacitors internally in the solid state IC regulator. :mad:

Lets start with some basics...:cool: open the attached simplifed diagram of a basic charging system from Government Motors ;) HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Your Voltage Regulator tries to get the battery and the Alternator to work together for the charging system. The battery carrying the load when the RPM is low and the charging system taking over when the alternator is at high output. Bare in mind the Diagram shows an internal voltage regulator but in reality yours is a separate box outside the housing.
Notice the idiot light...now when the ignition is turned on the current flows from the battery through the light to the number one terminal on the alternator. This is part of the regulator circuit the same as on your tractor. and current flows through resistor R1, diode D1, and to the base of transistor TR1 on its path to the battery through the ground connection.

This current flow turns the transistor on allowing current to flow through the alternator field coil and to the other side of TR1 before flowing back to the battery. Notice the resistor in parallel with the idiot light reduces the total circuit resistance to provide a higher field current for initial voltage build up when the engine starts.

The heavy positive battery cable is not in the circuit diagram because its not technically part of the charging system but is and will cause problem if cells are dead internally blocking electron flow negative to positive. Once you start your tractor and the AlternaTor is spinning the pully unlike poles in the stator start the AC voltage in direct proporation to the speed of the rotor. The diodes in the rectifier bridge change the AC into DC at the Diode trio at the "BAT" terminal and ground. As the tractor RPM increases so does the ability of the Alternator to supply current to circuit loads, Lights, etc...

Now here's what you need to understand to find your short that's burning out your regulators. With the alternator producing about 20 to 30 volts AC, this same voltage flows across the "BAT" terminal and the number one terminal and the idiot light goes out showing you the alternator is producing power. The number two terminal is also connected electrically to the battery and but the high resistance of R2 in series parallel with R3 limit the discharge current. The increased voltage between R2 & R3 allows diode D2 to flow, turning off transistor TR1 and turning on TR2 until the system voltage matched by resistance in the regulator see a drop below demand and the whole cycle
starts up again when TR1 get flow and starts increasing voltage per demand load. This happens several times a second and thus the IC circuits see heat, lots of heat. The other components within the regulator show a capacitor C1 to stablize the voltage Across R3, the resistor that limits the current through TR1 at high temperatures, and a diode that prevents high induction currents in the field windings when TR1 turns off.

In a nut shell, :p the alternator regulator relationship is to control the voltage allowed in the charging system at all times, protecting the battery from an overcharge, and at the same tme keeps the battery voltage from discharging
into the stator winding at periods of low tractor rpm (idle). Specific to your question, yes, you can use an elecro-mechanical regulator with your tractor as long as you wire in your instruments and accessories but until you find the primary short circuit causing the overcurrent draw through your transistorized regulator your mechanical contact points will also fry in time and its hard to tell how many batteries you will run through in the process.

Start a wiggle and pull test looking for shorts to ground. It will show up on your Multimeter in LED movement as you loop through each circuit in the primary start and accessories associated with the ignition switch normal run
position. There's no trade secret here to give out just due diligence with your wiring diagram. :) Feel free to send me a private Email if you don't wish to discuss on line Ron. I hate to be long winded on line too. :D

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi,
This explanation of how an alternator works is very good..... except in the case of the B7100HST which uses a dynamo! About the only way you can burn out a regulator on one of them is if you reverse the battery polarity ( or charge the battery backwards). The dynamo on most smaller kubotas simply makes ac power which is then rectified in the regulator and the excess dumped to ground via the diodes in the regulator. By the way, a cheap fix on these tractors is to use a snowmobile regulator from a electric start snowmobile ( not the single wire type)
Ed

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
At the risk of sounding Stupid! isn't what Kubota calls a dynamo actually an alternator since it's producing AC voltage? I thought the term dynamo is descriptive of a DC source. But I could be wrong!!!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Yes, You are actually right! It does produce AC and is actually an alternator! But Unlike a conventional alternator it produces "wildly" because it is a permanent magnet alternator and the regulator dumps the excess power to ground. that is why the regulator requires the large cooling fins that it has. These kind of charging systems are commonly somewhat incorrectly referred to as dynamos.
Ed Service

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yes, You are actually right! It does produce AC and is actually an alternator! But Unlike a conventional alternator it produces "wildly" because it is a permanent magnet alternator and the regulator dumps the excess power to ground. that is why the regulator requires the large cooling fins that it has. These kind of charging systems are commonly somewhat incorrectly referred to as dynamos.
Ed Service
"wildy" is your term for the absence of brushes for exciting the stator winding Via the rotor? This is to say an AC Generator = Dynamo = Alternator and I think we all are on the same page with terminology. As far as dumping to ground only the excessive voltage over the value in R1 per GM diagram and the terminating resistor/heat sink = to fins on the housing thats why I said it creates lots of heat. Ed, in Pacaron's defense, I find it hard to believe he would reverse polarity through the regulator using the factory terminals which are oriented for a negative ground system but you are correct in stating this is a possible cause for two burnt out regulators....:D [ Paracon, you didn't :eek: did you]

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I also find it hard to believe..... BUT I and most likely you, have seen stranger things in our career!. It IS possible also to charge a battery backwards if it is completely discharged! My father did just that years ago on the 1959 chev truck. Burnt up the regulator on it too and caused me a little grief finding out what was wrong. ( I was a pretty new mechanic at that time! 1971) And that is what I meant by "wildly". You can connect the wires from these Generator=alternator=dynamo's together, and as long as you run them within their design rpm they will not burn out.
Ed Service

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Another quirk of the Kubota regulator is that it will not work unless it "sees" a battery. I found this out back in the early 90's. I was working on Chev engines used to drive oil well pumps in the oilfield. We had a lot of trouble with people stealing the batteries from the engines because they were running in remote locations and were easily accessible ! If the engines continued to run without a battery the Chev alternator would fail and the well would go down, possibly sand up and require mega bucks to get it running again all over a measly battery! I got the brainwave that
I could use a Kubota Dynamo and regulator and it would keep on running regardless of battery . Alas it is not the case! The Kubota regulator will not make power without a battery being there! But a Snowmobile regulator will! We built a quite a few engines with Superreliable Kubota Dynamos and Snowmobile regulators and they worked just fine. Of course you had to boost them to get them running but at least they continued running without the need for a battery. The only load on the system was the HEI ignition and a witness light so you could tell from a distance that the unit was running. If the battery is not fully charged on these systems the charging voltage will be only slightly higher than battery voltage often hard to see on a analog voltmeter. That is why an ammeter is better for testing them.
Ed Service
Ed Service