Keep Loosing My Wheels!!!

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
This is the second time my front deck (RCK60-30BA) wheels have came off.
Today the C-clip came off (which I found) and the wheel went under the deck while mowing.
I installed a new C-clip and machine bushing to limp the wheel a long until I pick up a new one.
Kinda scary seeing that thing go flinging down the lawn about 30 ft.
Anyone else have this issue? Or a fix?

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm not familiar with the machine but would it be possible to replace the axle with a bolt then use a self locking nut or a nut with a jam nut?

Reactions: 1 user

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
I'm not familiar with the machine but would it be possible to replace the axle with a bolt then use a self locking nut or a nut with a jam nut?
The wheel is bolted on. The part that comes off is the where the shaft and frame mount with the above C-clip. It acts as a caster.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Are you talking about the "c clip" that is holding the yoke on? If so I would pull the rod and compare it to a new one. Perhaps the groove is not wide or deep enough to allow the clip to set correctly.

The other thing is the clip the correct one? You say this is the second time this has happened, I would have the dealer pull the new one from stock and see if it is a match to the one you have.

Is it possible to reverse the pin so the c-clip is at the top? If the clip were to come off again the wheel would be held in place by the weight of the mower deck.

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Are you talking about the "c clip" that is holding the yoke on? If so I would pull the rod and compare it to a new one. Perhaps the groove is not wide or deep enough to allow the clip to set correctly.

The other thing is the clip the correct one? You say this is the second time this has happened, I would have the dealer pull the new one from stock and see if it is a match to the one you have.

Is it possible to reverse the pin so the c-clip is at the top? If the clip were to come off again the wheel would be held in place by the weight of the mower deck.
Unfortunately they can only be installed one way.

Its happed to each side now. It’s the clip that holds the orange frame (yoke) onto the Shaft that pins to the mower deck.

It’s possible the wrong clips were used but they fit tight. It seems the must catch on a root just right and rather than spin it pops the clip off.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If it was mine I think I would remove the clip and weld the washer in place. If you need to remove the pin again for some reason you can pull the pin on the top side and let the whole assembly drop down. If you need the yoke off you would need to remove the axle for the wheel and then you remove the pin. If it has failed twice why not fix it so it can not happen again.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'd try to use a bolt and nylock nut. You may can find a shoulder bolt that will work nicely.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
That design is very poorly 'engineered'. While cheap and easy to make an install in the factory ,it won't last in the real World.
I'd eliminate the C-clip design, have a solid shoulder, thrust bearing,then shims as required on the topside,where the lynch pin holds the axle on.
The quick 'bodge' is to get proper C-clips and a lot of 'shim' washers. The proper C-clip will snugly fit the grooove, this is CRITICAL, so use either one thick or 2 thin ones. Whichever fills the groove. Then use shim washers, as needed, to remove all slack in the vertical fit. Again you need it snug,<10 thou would be nice.
You need to get rid of ALL 'slop' as over time the weakest link( the pin in this case) gets beat up and destroyed...

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You can try using a PTO Pin and set it up so the pin has to be pulled towards the center line of the mower NOT away from the mower. I find pins get yanked out by low lying branches on my bush hog. I feel your pain, been there done that. If you can fit a bolt with a nylon lock nut that would be a more reliable solution.

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
You can try using a PTO Pin and set it up so the pin has to be pulled towards the center line of the mower NOT away from the mower. I find pins get yanked out by low lying branches on my bush hog. I feel your pain, been there done that. If you can fit a bolt with a nylon lock nut that would be a more reliable solution.
Its the part above the wheel. There’s no room or no way to pin or bolt it to the shaft. There’s just a glove for the C-clip.

Attachments

timdan94

Equipment
L 2501 TLB
Oct 25, 2011
Liberty Pa
This is the second time my front deck (RCK60-30BA) wheels have came off.
Today the C-clip came off (which I found) and the wheel went under the deck while mowing.
I installed a new C-clip and machine bushing to limp the wheel a long until I pick up a new one.
Kinda scary seeing that thing go flinging down the lawn about 30 ft.
Anyone else have this issue? Or a fix?
Drill it and put a cotter pin through it and it won't fall off again

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Are you talking about the snap ring in your first picture? If so and if I am looking at it right there usually is very little weight on it? Snap rings are usually reliable as long as the groove is very clean and the correct ring is used. I would expect the yoke to be fitting snugly on the shaft. If there is wear so that the yoke can press on the snap ring it will pop off. Should be an easy check if you raise the wheel/yoke in the air and check for slop. If it is always happening on the same side compare the movement on the other yoke.
Something we do in applications that vibrate a lot is use run tie wire through the two small holes and twist it tightly.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That sucks big time. Poor design. My zero turn has front caster wheels and the spindles have a bolt on the top that holds them in place. Think I'd pull them, drill and tap them, install a bolt (with lock tite on it) and use shim washers to remove the end play and call it good.

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Are you talking about the snap ring in your first picture? If so and if I am looking at it right there usually is very little weight on it? Snap rings are usually reliable as long as the groove is very clean and the correct ring is used. I would expect the yoke to be fitting snugly on the shaft. If there is wear so that the yoke can press on the snap ring it will pop off. Should be an easy check if you raise the wheel/yoke in the air and check for slop. If it is always happening on the same side compare the movement on the other yoke.
Something we do in applications that vibrate a lot is use run tie wire through the two small holes and twist it tightly.
Yes , it’s the snap ring.
This is a new deck with around 5-10 hours on it.
Both sides have let go once. The other side hasn’t since I installed a new clip. I’m guessing the dealer installed the wrong clips at set up?? Idk??

I pulled them off yesterday to see if I could use tie wire, there’s not enough clearance between the machine washers and c-clip to tie them.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Yes , it’s the snap ring.
This is a new deck with around 5-10 hours on it.
Both sides have let go once. The other side hasn’t since I installed a new clip. I’m guessing the dealer installed the wrong clips at set up?? Idk??

I pulled them off yesterday to see if I could use tie wire, there’s not enough clearance between the machine washers and c-clip to tie them.
Put the tie wire through the holes before placing the clip on? Have had to do that before.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
With only 5-10 hrs it's either bad design or bad parts..... neighbour has a Toro with over 2500 hrs on the meter and the wheels are still ON his deck... dang rough use too, not shown any 'love'....