Keen shoe ads

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
When I try and bring up the OTT webpage, 8 times out of ten I get a white screen with a Keen ad straight up through the middle. I have to sign off and back on, numerous times, to get in to the site. Anyone else dealing with the ad?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Since adding an extension called AdBlock to Chrome I no longer have adds all over the web pages on OTT or any other web site.:D:D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I use ad block too. Really helps

But that is beside the point in this case I think. it sounds more like you have an adware virus. I'ld run some type of adware cleaner on your system.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Always listen to the coach!

I have AdBlocker in Chrome on my desktop, but the last upgrade hosed it so badly I've been using FireFox, and haven't installed any prophylactics yet. I get all kinds of ads, but none that affect my computer the way you're experiencing.

On my phone and tablet (both Android), I use Chrome (no add-on prophylactics) and the ads are a bit more intrusive, but nothing like your experience. I suspect you've picked up some malware.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have malware protection, which shows no gremlins...:(

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Since adding an extension called AdBlock to Chrome I no longer have adds all over the web pages on OTT or any other web site.:D:D
I have been using adblock and adplus plus for years with chrome....

I havent seen not ONE ad on OTT or youtoob in years......
get on my cell or tablet .....and ads out the wyzoo!:(

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There is an adblock plus for android, added it to my old tablet and ott is much better to view. Sometimes if wifi isn't working ads creep back in.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I have malware protection, which shows no gremlins...:(
IM NO EXPERT the following is a laymen's understanding. I think it is close enough to help you out.

There is a difference between the two types of "Spyware"; Malware and Adware. If you have something designed for "malware" specifically then your only battling the spyware that sucks data out of your computer to sell to spammers etc. (over simplified description)

Adware is a type of spyware that creates pop ups and fake web pages that essentially are ads that show up unannounced hoping your gullible enough to buy something. I assume it uses maleware programs to track/determine what ads your more liable to be interested in (again over simplified)

Of course both can be used to maliciously clog and FUBAR a computer(s) just for the hell of it.

For more professional descriptions see http://www.recoverysoftware.com/what-is-the-difference-between-malware-and-adware/

Sounds to me that it is possible your not covered for Adware. You may have malware covered with your spyware protection program (what is it? How long since it's last update)....

Often Anti-spyware programs do offer assistance in both adware and maleware in one program, while others are more specific to one or the other. Hopefully..... your covered on both and you just need an adblock like program.

Ad block is NOT for spyware at all. believe it only blocks ad's that the website your viewing has sold to vendors to appear. Catch 22 is these ads may be how a particular website pays to cover cost to stay in cyber world.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
coachgeo, I use ESET NOD32 antivirus software. Never had a problem.

I have Malwarebytes anti-malware premium setting on my desk but not installed. Will these two programs work together, or gum thing us? One's anti-malware...one's anti-virus.

Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
geo,

"Ad block is NOT for spyware at all. believe it only blocks ad's that the website your viewing has sold to vendors to appear. Catch 22 is these ads may be how a particular website pays to cover cost to stay in cyber world."

very very true, the topic did get skewed a bit off the main thought. Three different topics are covered all in one main question.

Hodge - do you have problems ON ANY other site that you visit? Or is OTT the only site that is giving you the fit?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
geo,

"Ad block is NOT for spyware at all. believe it only blocks ad's that the website your viewing has sold to vendors to appear. Catch 22 is these ads may be how a particular website pays to cover cost to stay in cyber world."

very very true, the topic did get skewed a bit off the main thought. Three different topics are covered all in one main question.

Hodge - do you have problems ON ANY other site that you visit? Or is OTT the only site that is giving you the fit?
It's only on OTT. It doesn't happen every time (like just now), and I have seen Keen ads on other sites. This is the only one that does it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so where does one find this ADblocker for chrome and how do I install it?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I take it this is a pay for thingie, as in it aint free?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I take it this is a pay for thingie, as in it aint free?
yes, very free - no payee....none - zip

really - it is really good and dont cost one red cent !

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I doed it man I doed it. I even went to a movie site that is loaded with pop ups and nada not a one,, I is a happy camper

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I doed it man I doed it. I even went to a movie site that is loaded with pop ups and nada not a one,, I is a happy camper
Allllllrighty then !!!!:D U D MAN

where is my beer ???? ol buddy????;)

hell i cant stand to watch tv anymore ....the wife got the ol netflix and now amazon prime......a commercial is something I aint seen !!! can a get an Amen from the pulpit?:)

between commercials and ads.....what is the world coming too????

thank god for OTT - or I would be ......whats that word again.......bored?:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahhhh it's in the mail :D

Man thats a fact the OL goes from cable to dish to what ever ever couple of years,, she say this has 500 stations, 100 are music of some kind, 150 sports stations which i dont watch and it seems like out of those there is only 3 races or ball games of some kind on all of them, movie channels that you have to pay to watch, and most of them aint worth the time any more, and the rest all have the same things on though they might be in Spanish, then the religious and shopping stations. And in the end she only watches 3 or 4 stations, all of which I can pick up with an outdoor antenna ( cause the FCC made sure they still have to broadcast over the air waves) So yeah I send my time on OTT or surfing the web,, amazing all the stuff you can learn from doing that

Last edited: