Johnny Plow Sr Owners???

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
After searching the site, I couldn't find anyone who has purchased/used these on their older BX's. I have a BX1500 and require the BX2711 hitch to use a Kubota plow and I want one that also angles. (2763A possibly with mods). Looking for snow removal on my 200 foot driveway and large parking area. (Asphalt covered).
I have an FEL so I looked at the Johnny Plow Sr at under 1500 bucks USD new delivered and with the hanger that would fit the 00 series BX.

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTMs/JBpage_Sr_Kubota_BX.htm

I've seen the video's, I know it is capable of down-pressure per the company advertisements. I just wondered if we have some active forum users that have any experience with these.

Thanks in Advance!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
It looks good on paper although it isn't orange.
I would think if you don't push it too hard you would be alright. In the event of a heavy storm with a large amount of snow you will probably have to keep up with it instead of waiting for it to finish. I would think the BX could easily overpower it and break some of the parts if you weren't careful. The BX is a little beast with a lot of strength.
Let us know how it works out.

Vacula

Equipment
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
I also question the heavy-duty or possible lack for the JohnnyPlow. I usually don't wait for all the snow of major snow storms to drop. I also have a Wheelhorse, (one of 5 now), with a big blower on it if need be but heavy wet snow kills that unit. (And it may do the same to the JohnnyPlow). Hard to justify paying more than the original price for a used BX2711 hitch then through the nose for the actual plow to hang on it. Decisions. Decisions. Maybe the mount will just show up like the Kubota did for a good price. The idea is to consolidate and lose more of the Horses I've collected over the years.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Would you consider a rear blade for snow removal?
You can get them fairly cheap, drag or turn them around and push and they are handy for landscaping as well. I live where there is little snow but I think it would be something I would consider. There's always a snow blower if you want something with a little more oomph.

Vacula

Equipment
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Blade needs to manual angle and the driveway is long. I have a blower on another machine and they are salty in price. I'll probably go with the JohnnyPlow and hope it holds up and isn't too lightweight for the job(s). I just thought that someone would have bought one here and I could get their thoughts without the bias the people trying to sell them have.

Vacula

Equipment
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Cheaper but still a manual angle. And 72" wide may be more than the 1500 can push depending on snow depth and water content. Thanks for sharing though!

CtryBoyInMT

Dec 25, 2014
Johnson County, KS
I have owned my Johnny Plow SR for my BX2350 for two winters. I was in the same conundrum as you. overall I'm satisfied with it, and it does the job well. Being in Missouri, we don't see the snow depths as PA does, but it'll roll the wet stuff just fine. It's not as heavy duty as the factory Kubota, but i don't use it for earth moving either.

There are some things that I feel Mr. Johnny could have done better.

The first is the hoses are just barely long enough for the application. I added 90° elbows to the quick connects at the tractor end to give a little more slack and reduce strain on the quick connects.

The second is the angle cylinder (in my opinion) is on the wrong side for a Kubota. With the fast dump valve on the BX, you have to move the joystick all the way to the right, past the detent, into "power dump" (or the fancy name for it). If you just use the first detent to angle right, it'll swing real fast to the LEFT. This can cause you to hit things.

And if you decide to go with this plow, order the hose support bracket from Kubota for the hoses that mounts to the frame of the tractor. It keeps the hoses from rubbing the tire when you turn.

Kevin54

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, Mower, Johnny Plow, QA, Forks, Box Blade, Carryall, Furrower
May 18, 2019
Ortonville
I've had mine for eight years. I've worked it hard including driving into a bank of snow at speed with only one wing of the plow and it has taken it all. I'd always planned to eventually get a snowblower but it has performed just fine in the meantime.

My driveway is mixed - some concrete and some gravel. I do find that on poorly-done gravel (not compacted) the shoes can dig in and trip the plow more easily than would a dirt blade, but that's because of the driveway which I am replacing. In other respects the blade is great for mixed surfaces, and if you are all paved you're golden.

Just don't be a bad neighbor and push your snow across the road leaving windrows. It's not legal hereabouts in any case.

I needed a box scraper once and bought one. Now I wouldn't be without it. I hang it on the back in winter and pull snow away from the garage door with it. Oddly, it cost little more than the same amount of steel as suitcase weights.

At 60 inches it will clear a path as wide as the tractor when tilted.

The Johnny Plow is cheap, it's 4-way, it's light and easy to mount, and easy to store (on a furniture dolly, moldboard face down). I recommend it.