Jerky Loader on L2800

KMac

Equipment
L2800, LA463, BH75
Aug 29, 2010
Millstadt, IL
Hi Folks. I'm a newbie to orangetractortalks (today) and to tractors in general.

I have a 2007 L2800 HST w/ an LA463 and a BH75. Tractor and implements bought new by uncle three years ago but used little due to subsequent declining health. So it all came to me upon his passing some months back. I don't know much about engines and the like so hoping I can get some sound advice here.

Tractor only has a total of 23 hrs on it. (Had 19 went I received it). Started noticing last week that raising the FEL is becoming somewhat jerky and not as quick/smooth to raise as it was previously. Have read the posts on here with similar situations and the good advice. But with only 23 hrs on my tractor and no sign of leaks, would the filter need cleaning this early on?

So I'm wondering if the hydro fluid screen needs cleaning? I checked the trans fluid window and it's to the top with a small bubble so I assume fluid levels is not an issue. I still have the BH75 attached to the back as well and the curling of the bucket seems slower as well. Am I damaging anything by using the FEL with this jerkiness?

Figured I'd consult with some knowledgeable veterans before contacting a local dealer whom I don't know from Adam.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
This is a classic example of a cracked suction hose to the Hydraulic pump. (located just above the brake pedals). You might not be able to see the crack and it usually doesn't leak oil so isn't obvious. This is a common problem on the L2800-3400 tractors.
Ed

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I had the same problem on my tractor.
I cleaned the hydraulic suction filter as recommended by others.
Shoudln't be the problem with only 23 hours, nice find.
Problem I had was my buddy topped it up with gear oil instead of hydraulic oil.
Did you recentley add oil?
Keep us posted.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Even though it doesn't have many hrs it is still 4 yrs old. What does the trans oil look like? Is it milky looking? You could have water in it from condensation.

KMac

Equipment
L2800, LA463, BH75
Aug 29, 2010
Millstadt, IL
Thanks for the info, Gents. I'm starting to think Ed's comments about the cracked suction hose might be right. I've investigated several opinions - on everything from thinking maybe there's air in the hydro line, to suggestion of just topping off the hydro oil to maybe the hydro filter was clogged and needed replacement for some reason.

Long story short: I changed out the hydro filter and after doing so, slipped a square piece of plywood on the ground directly below the filter. Wiped off all the lines near the filter. Ran it for a bit just raising and lowering the FEL for a few minutes just and then let is sit overnight to see if there were any leaks I could detect. Finally noticed the next morning some small oil stains on the plywood. So I know I have a small leak somewhere in the line.

The drip appears to be coming from a larger ~ 1 inch hose behind the brake pedal. I can't actually see where the drops are originating from but it feels like it's betweem hose connections on the back side. So I'm going to have the dealer take a look at it for sure. The wife's not very happy about it as it represents a new cost. But I'm a big beleiver that you tend to problems BEFORE they get worse.

And by the way, several folks I talked with before attempting to change the filter indicated I'd only lose about a quart of hydro when I changed filters. Again, I'm a newbie at this. I captured 5 qts of hydro oil before I could get the new filter on. Big difference.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the info and in particular the suction hose theory. I'll kept that in the back of my mind when talking with the dealer. ;)

KMac

Equipment
L2800, LA463, BH75
Aug 29, 2010
Millstadt, IL
Guys:

The close out on my hydraulics issue was in deed a small hole in the suction inlet hose. Many thanks to all of you for your input, with notable thanks to Ed.

I must have checked that particular hose three times before you guys made me scrutinize it better. Thee hole was not much more than pin-sized and was just above the pipe band and facing the motor side. In all actuality, the only reason I ever noticed it was b/c of the diagnosis info you gentlemen provided to me here. It was after that when I discovered (actaully felt) just a slight piece of skin sticking up on the backside.

I ordered a new inlet hose from Messick's online and popped that sucker on there, topped off my hydraulic oil and she worked the FEL up and down without a whimper. The pipe cost $26 plus shipping. Not bad when i was thinking of the problem being far more serious perhaps.

Again, thanks for the assistance, Guys and for saving me some money on fixing an issue to!

;) :D

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Congratulations for solving your problem. That's what we are all here for. I'm going through a similar problem w/ my L35. It had an oil leak where the hydraulic lines feed the block that raises the 3pt. hitch arms. The tractor is 12 years old and I figured the o-rings had dried out and were leaking. Replace the o-rings and it still leaked. It turned out one of the lines has a hairline crack right above the fitting. I'm having a welder braze it today and I'm hoping that will fix the problem.

RunningRon

Equipment
L2800 MT
Jan 23, 2011
Southlake, TX
Just want to say thanks for the help. I had this exact problem and never would have found the crack in the hose on the back side if you wouldn't have pointed me in that direction. I was ready to take it to the dealer.

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
I want to thank you for this thread. I thought I was going to have to replace my pump for these same problems. I pulled that suction hose and found the hole. I took the old one to Advance and found one on the rack that was close for $15.00. Installed same and all my problems went away! Yee haw!

wfontjr

Equipment
L2800
Jun 5, 2011
orange, tx
i want to thank you also for this thread, my L2800 fel and power steering was acting up this weekend, just assumed it was the filter since its about that time, went out and felt suction hose, found large split on back side, thanks a million

Garret

Equipment
L2800 HST
Aug 28, 2011
Port Angeles, Wa.
Thanks Ed, I have an L2800 with 400 hours that gave these same symptoms today. Sure enough , I had a small crack just above the clamp.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I wanted to get back to all of you guys about my L3800 with a jerky 3PH. The Kubota mechanic was able to "adjust" it so that it operates smooth as silk now - on both the upward and downward strokes. Not sure what he did - but I'm glad that I didn't have to escalate it and push for a new valve.

Just thought you might want to know.

Thanks,
Tom K.

wldbear

Equipment
L3400, Loader, Backhoe
Sep 18, 2011
Cazenovia, NY
Found this forum while searching for a hydraulic filter for my L3400. Figured it was probably plugged because the hydraulics were slow and jerky. Turns out it was a crack in the supply hose (which I thought were just cracks in the paint). Had to join and say Thank You! This saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
I was reading on another site that the existing factory valve can be adjusted.
The poster said the dealer used the following parts and adjusted the valve, he said is was much smooth as butter.

Assy Valve Control Part# YR908-00105
O Ring Part# 04817-00120
the control valve was removed and adjusted to spec in manual

Any Kubota mechanics know the adjustment procedure and want to share the details??

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
I was reading on another site that the existing factory valve can be adjusted.
The poster said the dealer used the following parts and adjusted the valve, he said is was much smooth as butter.

Assy Valve Control Part# YR908-00105
O Ring Part# 04817-00120
the control valve was removed and adjusted to spec in manual

Any Kubota mechanics know the adjustment procedure and want to share the details??
I just looked up the part numbers
the control valve is the complete unit $608.00
Two o-rings $1.26 each

Last edited:

welderman

Equipment
L3400D
Dec 15, 2013
Bartlett, Tn
I am new to this forum and I see the info about the cracks in the hose. My loader isn't jerky, just the 3PH. I want to replace the hose on my L3400D, and I want to make sure it's the right one that is mentioned. I think it's the larger rubber hose that actually rests against the body of the tractor just left of the brake pedal, part # TC220-33332. They call that an inlet hose. There is another hose called the suction hose, part # TC220-56330 that isn't as obvious underneath. Is it the larger inlet hose everyone is talking about replacing? Thanks for any help !

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It sounds like you are on the right track to me. They for some reason seem to crack on the inside and can't be seen until it's removed. Good luck with that but for some reason I don't think it will make your 3pt any better.