J Bar brush hogs and box scrapers?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
First off let me welcome you to OTT.

The J-bar stuff is very cheap and light weight. The cutter will chop down the grass but don't think you are getting quality if you purchase one. The blade tip speed is slow on the and the cut quality is poor. If it was me I would spend the extra bucks and get a Bushhog brand or something along those lines.

As far as the box scapes go. WASTE OF MONEY. These things are built so light that they will not even cut dirt down. Forget even trying to use the rippers. If you are lucky you might be able to get one ripper in the ground but forget anything more than that. You can't even spread gravel with them. Well, not without leaving a hump where the pile was dumped. They are simply to light to cut anything out.

I see you have a BX listed and you may think it will get you by and work since it's a smaller machine. I hung a small stump with my J-bar box behind a B 7100 and wadded it up like a pretzel. Unless they have changed their design the scrapes don't have bolt on edges so it only gets worse over time.

I live about 40 minutes from their facility and the people there a great folks. Nothing against them at all but their product are far from quality. This is one time without a doubt that "you get what you pay for".

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Damn, I so wanted to support an american product. And they do sound like great people. I'm in the NW and shipping really drives their price up. Any suggestions?

I've really got the tractor and impliments bug. I don't really know what I'm doing but I love moving the dirt around. I'm a city guy that moved out to the country and most of my neighbors have been doing this stuff all of their life. They think it's really funny (and a bit strange) that I want to do stuff with my tractor. Kind of like a guy getting excited to use his hammer.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
They are great people to work with but just have a cheap product line. Everything they made is what I consider disposable equipment. I hate to cut their product down because they are a hard working American co but I'm not going to lie to you either. I wish they did have better stuff because they have a store front and sell to the public at very cheap prices. I bought a 4' cutter, 4' box and 5' scrape blade and the total price out the door was only $500. Even at that price they still aren't worth it.

As far as equipment I would suggest, I have had and continue to get great service from my Bushhog equipment. For my L series tractor I have a squealer series SQ 600 rotary cutter. Been using it since 2000 and have no complaints. It's still as good now as it was when I bought it.
I have a Bushhog BX650 box scrape. It weighs almost 600 lbs and is built to last. Has turnable, replaceable cutting edges front and back. 100% satisfied with it in every way.

There are lots of good implement companies on the market and Bushhog may not the the best in every category but overall you won't go wrong with their implements. I hope this will help you out.

Attachments

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Damn, I so wanted to support an american product.
I bought my BX24 about 3 hrs north of you (according to Mapquest) in Everett at Sound Tractor (Kubota dealer). I also bought a few Land Pride implements/attachments from them. I am very happy that I did get both from Sound Tractor. Land Pride is made in Kansas very nice product and as a bonus they have a development agreement with Kubota.

So with that you can not only support an American product but you can also support a Washington busness :D

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Thanks, I'll look into them. What do you think of the ones at Wilco? Seems like there are a lot of tractor impliment manufacturers and like most things quality is the key to longevity. To the newbe they all look alike. And there was another thread that indicated you can get things that are took heavy for a bx. Before reading that I would have bought the thickest one I could find. Now I'm thinking its more subtle, perhaps something to do with construction rather than thickness. I need to get a box scraper and a brush hog cutter. On one hand it's for home use not any type of heavy duty work commerical work but on the other I don't want something that will fall apart if I get aggressive.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have a King Kutter box blade and snow plow behind me Kubota B6100 and I've had great luck with the King Kutter brand. I run a landscape business on the side and I know I've abused my box blade more then once. I think I paid about 350 bucks for it and they are available at Tractor Supply.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hey Eric, do your local TSC stores still carry KK product? All the ones down here have dropped that line and switched to County Line implements.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
UMM I think you might be right. Its been a while since I went to TCS and all my KK toys I got from Agri-Supply which is a small chain of stores in Va and Nc.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Hey Eric, do your local TSC stores still carry KK product? All the ones down here have dropped that line and switched to County Line implements.
No TSC closed the last of the Del's farm stores up here north of Everett, Washington as it was owned by TSC and they could not make it. We do have a new store coming in soon and it is Coastal Farm and equipment that looks like it might be promising for getting implements.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
We have 2 agri-supply stores in GA. They are both way down on the southern end of the state though. I have ordered stuff from there and had it shipped to me.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
My vote is for the King Kutter brand. I did a lot of research before I purchased my Box Blade and the 66" Professional series box blade is built very very well. I would purchase another KK implement in a heart-beat.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you dont mind a drive Bulldog head to wich ever one of those Agri-supplys happens to be close by. I drive just about an hour to get to the ASC near me and man is it worth the ride. The ASC store we have here in the Richmond VA aera is by far ten times bigger then the local Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight stores. Come to find out from my store they've had customers drive all the way down to my neck of the woods from Pennsylvenia to buy up what they need.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It would be a good drive for me Eric. The closest store is about 5 or 6 hrs south of me. I saw it when we went to the AG Expo a couple of yrs back but didn't take time to stop in and look at anything. I ordered some disc from them and had them shipped to me when I rebuilt an old IH pull behind harrow. Even with shipping they were still much cheaper than anything else I could find. I talked to them on the phone a couple of times and everybody I talked to was nice and seemed to be knowledgable about their products. I wish they were just closer to me.

Burr53

Aug 9, 2014
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
I presently own a 5' J-Bar SD cutter...This was a size upgrade from a well used and abused Big Bee cutter..Prior to purchase of the J-Bar I, like many. searched the web for product reviews. Of the few ones I could find about half were negative..Comments about cheap materials, gear boxes and manufacturing quality pertaining to welds..First of all the price paid was 1/2 of the TSC cutter folks speak both good and bad of...The metal on my J-Bar is 12 guage..measured it with a digital caliper.
The gear box is made by Omni Gear..this model of box is also used on many of the more expensive cutters...the bracing and other parts are quite adequate..However I do have to agree the welding is not top notch by any means but is holding at the moment..The 200 pounds of my son walking and bouncing on the deck prior to purchase did not break any either...I have cut down 2 inch Yaupon and Pop Corn trees without problems..it has also taken its toll own numerous 2 inch pines and has yet to break..I think anyone can break or destroy any tractor implement if proper use techniques are not followed...The J-Bar SD cutter is not the best made but is not the most expensive either..It is worth looking at from an economical standpoint..And it is American made.
It has served me well up to this point...Just my pennys worth on the subject !!!

Last edited: