It is no secret it is cold in the whole USA.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I used the Kubota today and it started right up. Wednesday we had trouble with some of the trucks at work. The Volvo tractor (as in tractor trailer) wouldn't start till the mechanic spent an hour or so of quality time with it. Then it went all of mebbe three miles and had to have another filter change. The mechanic followed and rescued the driver two more times till they got enough anti-gel through the system.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
106 degrees forecast here today, 109 tomorrow
100- don't want to highjack a USA weather thread...just always wondered about Australia....

How cold does it get in your part of Oz in the winter? It's a large island continent, so guessing it varies.....is it a lot of difference north vs. south?

Our high today was 2, and forecast for high tomorrow is 0. With windchills in the -20 to -40 range. :eek:

Low -4 tonight, -12 tomorrow night.....:eek:

Thanks!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
News tonight said a farmer was killed in a tractor roll-over. Think he was 50 +/-. Guessing it wasn't his first day on a tractor.

Tractor was "disabled", and was being pulled/towed along a driveway.

One side of tractor slid off side of driveway into a ditch/ravine, rolling tractor onto operator......

Have to guess our cold caused a gel.....storm we had caused snowy/slick conditions....

Many guys around here use tractors of the vintage without ROPS, but I have no idea what he was driving.

Sad, any way you cut it......:(

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I went to get a load of wood out of the barn, climbed aboard and turned the glow plugs on,,, and I swear I heard a little voice says ,,,,,WHAT??? are you freekin kiddin me?

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan

We get to -5/-10’C overnight in winter (14-23’F)

The days stay about 10’C (50’F) with occasional snow usually only 1-5 days a year

Now it is midsummer for us and the days are around 35’C (98’F) and will stay warm until at least late April before the milder weather comes.

One of my friends sent me this a few days ago.

I am 71 lived on a farm about all my life, have a collection of 22 antique farm tractors, none with ROPS, none with seat safty switched only the 1965 Ford 5000 has a netural switch so you have to have the tractor in netrual to start it.
My L3301 is the first to have all that safty stuff on it.

I was presant when my dad had a roll over with his old Allis WC. We were skidding tree tops from a woods and it was muddy. Dad was hooked on to a top and hit a good slick spot so and Uncle hooded his tractor to the chain dad had strung out for a tow. Uncle took off and wasn't looking back at the load, showing off for me really, On a corner he was sliding dads WC side ways till one rear tire hit a stump sticking up and the tree top was bound up on a standing tree and wasn't coming.

I was yelling for uncle to stop but he just wasn't hearing as the WC lifted the rear tire up and dad jumped and over it went.

The whole thing was a failure to use commen sence and watch the load behind closely. It would have never happened if uncle had not slid dads WC into that stump showing off.

:D Al

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Al - appreciate the Australian weather information, and the recount of a near-miss..

I own a 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU. It's domiciled at my Dad's until spring. Grew up with it 54 years, and it was the topic of a earlier thread here.

The "U" means narrow front end, and we used it for a woods tractor after the cows were gone.

People said we were crazy to use a NFE in the woods...I couldn't imagine doing it otherwise... I drive my '17 Silverado with my thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel because of that tractor.

My father is still so adept at driving it, but he's been at it since '55, when my grandfather bought it. When I was 7, I could back a manure spreader down our barns, since we didn't have barn cleaners.

Your re-count reminded me of a time when I was 16 or so. Uncle was cutting tops for firewood down in a creek valley on the farm, and got his loaded F250 stuck coming out in rain/snow/sleet in the dark on a steep cut/fill skid road - - he slid off the low side. The MM had no working lights.

Backed into it with right axle digging into upper side bank. Hooked up, and rode upper brake until that loaded truck came out. Bad thing was I lost the hand crank on the trip, and had to go back and find it before more snow came!

Takes but a second, and things go south....except for a couple of mishaps, we were always good...or lucky.....

Just so sad for that farmer......

Last edited:

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
Lots of old farmers about who farmed with NFE tractors and lived to tell about it.

Stop and think about it many of todays saftey crap is the results of some person not having any common sense. The get off the lawn tractor with mower attachment running stick their toe oned the deck and get them chopped off and sue.. Seat switches.

they are out mowing and back up with out looking bewhind them and run over one of their kids and maim them and sue.... back up mower shut down switch.

Run over some thing they knew was there but hey take to long to pick it up and roll the tractor over and sue..... Rops bars.

The list goes on and on.

Many moons ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/oldgrumpy/my tractors/CroppedAllisinsnow.jpg

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Lol, your right on the money there jryser.
How is the snow situation in NS. I have pictures of my mother in Springhill standing on snow banks with the telephone wires at her ankles as well as a tunnel to get to the front door of their house.

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
This is the first week that I have to hold the glow plugs on for more than ten seconds. Puffing a bunch, but the BX came to life and ran flawlessly. I do keep it in a garage, but I still have unmelted snow on it from 2 weeks ago, so in two weeks, my garage has not gotten above freezing. The 12-14" of snow we just got the other night was a blast to snowblow. Went out looking like a polar explorer in my balaclava and ski goggle, all bundled up. I would love to get a cab, but every one of them out there adds2-3 inches above the ROPS, which I don't have the clearance for to get into my garage. I'd rather have the tractor inside than park it outside and have to clean it off anyways. Raincoat keeps me dry, so keeping warm really wasn't all that much of an issue. I noticed the bottom of my blower is starting to rot through in a few places. I was looking at new or really good used ones to replace this year, and then found a couple of site that said they could still get me a brand new housing from the factory. I will find out if they are correct, and if so, order one up for a springtime switchover of parts for next year. Fingers crossed. Enjoy the rest of the winter, I heard it is going to be a heatwave tomorrow with temps into the teens.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The list goes on and on.

Many moons ago.
Al - so true, and I really like the picture!

Reminds me of spreading manure in blowing snow....always keep the wind in your face!!

Kinda like peeing outdoors!!:p:eek:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I always said send a smart kid to college and once there they have any common sense taught out of them.

I worked with (loose terminology) one of those "smart kids".
He was an electrical engineer. One morning he was checking the oil on the pickup truck he was going to take out to look at a job. He came over and asked me where the funnels were at. I asked him why and then showed him where they were. As i show him the funnels, he stops me and asks where are the really tiny funnels for adding oil into an engine. Guess where he wanted to attempt putting oil into the engine at? Yes, the dip stick tube.
Educated!
:eek::D:rolleyes:
He was really trying to show us something by checking that oil.

And yes, it's been kind of cold here for the last week or so.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Welcome to my daily world. Two weeks ago we were 30 below then last week it shot up to plus 32 and rained. A couple days later 20-30 below ever since. Rapid temp changes created huge problems. Mainly frost forming in fuel systems. Heet, diesel doctor etc are your best friends. Watch for frost forming in hydraulics. It'll plug filters quickly. I don't know about global warming but I can sure see massive weather changes here in Alaska. -30 to +32 then back to -30. That $$$$t ain't right.