Is this even possible?

Barry Cassese

Equipment
1986 Kubota B5200
May 26, 2017
West Dover, VT
Good Morning!

Is it possible to get "flotation" out of my 3 point hitch? Ya know, like the same way a loader bucket "floats" when you push the controller all the way down?
Any modification that I could make? or something else?

Ty!
Have a good day :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good Morning!

Is it possible to get "flotation" out of my 3 point hitch? Ya know, like the same way a loader bucket "floats" when you push the controller all the way down?
Any modification that I could make? or something else?

Ty!
Have a good day :)
well now - UNLIKE the front end, which has pressure DOWN and pressure UP - the 3 point DOES NOT have pressure down - so it floats all the time, that is unless you are using an implement that will cut into the ground. Many will continue to cut do to the angle being dragged into the ground.

SO if you were using a backblade, turned around to drag rather than cut, it will rise and fall over obstacles. A rotary mower will rise and fall if placed in a bind, the only thing is the weight of the 3 point item keeping it down.;):)

Barry Cassese

Equipment
1986 Kubota B5200
May 26, 2017
West Dover, VT
well now - UNLIKE the front end, which has pressure DOWN and pressure UP - the 3 point DOES NOT have pressure down - so it floats all the time, that is unless you are using an implement that will cut into the ground. Many will continue to cut do to the angle being dragged into the ground.

SO if you were using a backblade, turned around to drag rather than cut, it will rise and fall over obstacles. A rotary mower will rise and fall if placed in a bind, the only thing is the weight of the 3 point item keeping it down.;):)
So, Is it fair to say, IF I adjust my york rake accordingly, It will float?
I have a steep upgrade and wouldn't really wanna "dig".... More like "groom".
I'm not a "pro" so grooming/grading doesn't come so easy for me :)
Thanks for your feedback, by the way!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So, Is it fair to say, IF I adjust my york rake accordingly, It will float?
I have a steep upgrade and wouldn't really wanna "dig".... More like "groom".
I'm not a "pro" so grooming/grading doesn't come so easy for me :)
Thanks for your feedback, by the way!!
the weight of your rake is your enemy.

Several ways to limit travel down, either have position control on your 3 point, smaller kubota's do not, or limit the downward motion with a chain - that way it can only drop to a predetermined amount. Going slow with you hand on the 3 point control can get you closer to what you want - the flatter it is to begin with also helps, if you have lot of dips and valleys in the upgrade, the teeth grab more in areas and less in others. YOU will get better everyday you use it!;):)

Barry Cassese

Equipment
1986 Kubota B5200
May 26, 2017
West Dover, VT
the weight of your rake is your enemy.

Several ways to limit travel down, either have position control on your 3 point, smaller kubota's do not, or limit the downward motion with a chain - that way it can only drop to a predetermined amount. Going slow with you hand on the 3 point control can get you closer to what you want - the flatter it is to begin with also helps, if you have lot of dips and valleys in the upgrade, the teeth grab more in areas and less in others. YOU will get better everyday you use it!;):)
lol... yes, I was afraid you'd say that.... "Practice Makes Perfect".
I was looking for the easy way out :D
Tanks for your help!!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Gauge wheels are a big help on rakes. Otherwise if you have uneven ground when the front of the tractor goes down the back goes up and vice versa, digging in.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Barry, you mention you don't want to dig, but groom. You can adjust to top link short and this will roll the rake top towards you tractor. This allows to rake to roll over (to some degree) the ground and materials.

By adjusting the rake top link to full extension the bottom of the teeth are now rolled forward and the top is further back and the rake will pickup more. (This is just the opposite of what you want.)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One other trick is to run it backwards, in other words spin the rake around and run it with the teeth pointed to the rear, one note with that, you must pick it up to back up or it will just dig in and stop you in most conditions. ;)

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
One other trick is to run it backwards, in other words spin the rake around and run it with the teeth pointed to the rear, one note with that, you must pick it up to back up or it will just dig in and stop you in most conditions. ;)
Wolfman, what a great tip! I just finished leveling about an acre and put my topsoil back on, it was full of rocks and small sticks and I spent two days with my rake trying to get them out, most of the time ending dragging around a pile of dirt in the rake.

Makes sense, I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

M