Is it time to let go?

cappys tractor

Equipment
B6000 and Husqvarna mower (hey, it's orange too!)
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
While using my trusty Orange beast.......
I have been a happy Kubota operator for about 10 years. My 1978 (or so) B6000 is one tough tractor. I have tried numerous times to kill it. Now i have a decision to make.

While installing irrigation lines in yard I blew the right FEL and bucket rams. The rebuilder says too far gone to rebuild so..... is it worth spending 550 plus the cost of hoses?

Or letting old bessy go and upgrade to a new(er) tractor that the boss can operate as well? That way the wife can use one tractor and do anything she wants. I realize that to get any appreciable cash I need to get it operating. But the age of tractor limits how much i can ask. Is it pouring good money after bad? I figure I could get maybe 2K for it running. Now if we need the FEL i am the only one that can drive a stick. I have been thinking about selling both the Kubota and the husqvarna lawn tractor and getting a newer kubota to do both jobs. I was thinking about fixing, then removing the FEL and subframe and selling just the tractor, that would expand my options to buy a newer Bota, and just move the FEL to another unit. kind of like sacrificing the old B6000.

decisions decisions....... Any thoughts?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm just guessing without any pictures or details, but even your old machine in working order including the FEL might be worth more than you think.

Is i worth a fortune? No.... but it's worth more than scrap value.

While the $550 is a tough nut, it's something to think about investing in the tractor.

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
the biggest drawback is the counter rotating PTO spline, and the odd size. it makes the tractor difficult to find or mate implements to. the FEL is this units strong point. well... that and the Hydraulic ports on the back. There was a special adapter that someone installed to shunt hyd from the 3PH to the FEL. I installed quick connects so I can use a 3PH hyd wood splitter. best investment i made besides the boss!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I personally would find another rebuilder to get another opinion, or take the cylinders apart myself to see why they are considered no good.

Sometimes rebuilders have real high standards for their insurance, so they won't work on some items because of that. I have a rebuilder that works on all the cylinders at Worlds of Fun. I took a cylinder to my trencher digging boom to them and they said they couldn't work on it. I fixed it myself, and just used it last weekend. It's been at least 15 years now!

Do your own inspection and repair. Keep ole Nelly Belle going!

Reactions: 1 user

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
The bucket rams are bent. the PO modified the bucket narrower and deeper ( to muck out cow troughs) and side mounted the bucket. the guy says they are never going to last because of the bend, The main rams never retract as normal, because of the modified reconfiguration years ago, and the chrome is pitted on the one that blew. He says it would cost way more than new to rebuild and rechrome.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cappy --- I don't have good advice for you except one. You have D2Cat in the conversation.

'Cat is probably one of the most savvy folks here regarding what makes common sense for buying/selling/maintaining a Kubota tractor or related implements. Seen it many times in my years here on OTT.

I should emphasize common sense.... seems to be lacking anymore....

I'm just whistling Dixie.... follow 'Cat's advice.... I would myself if in your shoes.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
cylinders and hoses - replace them- a lot less money than a new machine etc consider aftermarket products and compare to Kubota $$$$ you will see what i mean

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If I were buying a new machine I would go all the way and buy a new loader for it as well.

Fix the old loader and sell it with the tractor.

Pretty sure it is NOT a good idea to put stress on one side of the loader like that pictures you posted shows.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
$550 does not seem a terrible price to pay for a fix. I don't want to make that sound trivial as who wants to pay $550? But, I think you get my drift.

With that being said, you only live once. If you are comfortable financially to buy a new or newer machine, then why not? I am starting to see less decades ahead of me than behind me, and that is being optimistic.

Fix the old one regardless IMO. It will pay for itself whether you keep it or sell it.

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
Get some generic hydraulic rams and hoses from the farm store and fix it yourself. Way cheaper and you can paint them orange if you need to.

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I just spent over $500 a piece to rebuild both of the tilt cylinders on my B7100. It was a lot more money than I anticipated, but they now have new innards and they are like new cylinders. These old tractors, in good working order are still worth quite a bit of money.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It easy and fun for us to spend your $$$. ;)

Now what would I do? Even if you upgrade to a new(er) tractor you will still have to spend the bucks to repair Ole Betsy before you can get top dollar for it, so go ahead and do that. Begin your search now so that you will not feel pressured if/when you upgrade.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Time and money analysis usually says replace equipment at 10 year mark, after that it’s diminishing returns
That must be taken in-context. Classic equipment is like classic art, cars, boats, airplanes, .... Drive ‘em off the lot... they take a HUGE hit but then settle into predictable used values. A decade later the ones that are not well-maintained fall in value even further, eventually falling into junk or salvage value only.
But those that are well-maintained hold their value. After a few decades the well-maintained ones begin to appreciate. The clearly Loved ones become highly sought-after and quite valuable.
Even Edsels are collectable if well-cared-for. :p

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
" That way the wife can use one tractor and do anything she wants. "

How much does the wife or would the wife use the new tractor? I know my wife won't touch any of the older tractors because they are all gear tractors, but she hops on the Kubota and will use the bucket on it.

So, will you wife's use be enough to help justify the cost of the new tractor?