Is CJ-4 oil ok to use in an L3800?

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
Hello all. Just bought a new L3800. I now have a question about the correct motor oil to use in it. On page 49 of the owner's manual it states that "CJ-4 engine oil is intended for DFP type engines, and cannot be used on this tractor". However, I just found a Kubota web site:

http://www.kubota.com/service/LubricantMaintenance.aspx

that appears to say CJ-4 is ok to use, and is actually required to be used in Interim Tier 4 and newer motors, which is what I think I have in my L3800. There is also a footnote on the web page that says "As of May 2012 this information supersedes all previous publications regarding the use of CJ-4 "

So, not wanting to mess up my Kubota when I do my first oil change, I wanted to confirm that CJ-4 oil is ok to use in my L3800.

BTW sorry if this question has been asked before, but the search function does not work when I type in CJ-4.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
All the oil numbers are confusing to me. So I'm probably just going to just use Rottella 15-40 in mine.

The oil experts should be along shortly. :cool:

WayneJessie

Equipment
B2710HSD
Sep 28, 2009
Asheboro,NC USA
All the oil numbers are confusing to me. So I'm probably just going to just use Rottella 15-40 in mine.

The oil experts should be along shortly. :cool:
CJ-4 exceeds CI-4 performance in every way with the ULSD we have here in the USA. Kubota oils if you look at them are now CJ-4 too.