Internal lathe threading

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Made a threading tool out of a large tap to thread a hex nut. My internal threading tooling is pretty lame so after going through my drawers I came up with the idea for this tool. I just ground off all the teeth except the first one and then mounted it on a QC boring bar holder. Did a passable job. Thought I'd pass this on to the other lathe owners out there.

Attachments

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Made a threading tool out of a large tap to thread a hex nut. My internal threading tooling is pretty lame so after going through my drawers I came up with the idea for this tool. I just ground off all the teeth except the first one and then mounted it on a QC boring bar holder. Did a passable job. Thought I'd pass this on to the other lathe owners out there.

Resouceful!

I might have left all the teeth on the flute, and taper ground the first four to give a progressive cut.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent, filing that away for future use. ;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice! When teaching new machinists, one of the hardest things to convince them was that there are no hard & fast "one way only" rules. Got to think out of the box occasionally.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
That would only work if you were threading the same tpi as the tap.
Somehow I thought the threads looked "mighty close". Just different diameters.

Must be the camera angle ;-)

Practically, I keep a selection of internal threading tools on hand. Biggest headache is swapping tools between QC tool holders. Three lathes, three different size QC tool posts, and it always seems the last time the desired threading tool was used, it was on one of the other machines. ;-)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Practically, I keep a selection of internal threading tools on hand. Biggest headache is swapping tools between QC tool holders. Three lathes, three different size QC tool posts, and it always seems the last time the desired threading tool was used, it was on one of the other machines. ;-)
See, that's the problem...."twomany"!:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My one and only south bend is almost as rigid as a wet noodle,so any advantage for threading is a bonus. I had a collection of old taps given to me,so experimenting with them wont seem so wasteful.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

Mind my asking what your favorite set up is? Time to get me some real tooling.

npalen

Equipment
B9200
Feb 10, 2016
Beloit, KS
I'm wondering how much difference in thread pitch would be a problem due to the helix angle on the tap. Just asking.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'm wondering how much difference in thread pitch would be a problem due to the helix angle on the tap. Just asking.
That is an issue with this method. You could grind some of the tooth under the cutting edge to help a bit. This is just to get you out of a jam like I was in.

Would still like to hear from some of you fellow lathe owners what you like to use for single point internal threading.