integrity in the service department

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
I don't care for dealership service departments, at all. When my wife bought her car (subaru legacy) it came with "free oil changes for 3 years". OK fair enough, it will same me some time and money, so I let her use the stealership for the oil changes.
Around the 3rd or 4th change she get's home and says her oil light came on at the end of the street (about 100' before the driveway). OK, I pull the dipstick out, no oil, WTH? Did they not put any oil in? Look under the engine and I see drip, drip, drip coming from the skid plate. Pull the skid plate and find that the oil filter was not tightened, like it was about a 2 turns from coming off!
I tightened it up, added oil and then called the service dept and spoke with the manager. Very unapologetic, didn't really care that his crew almost totaled her engine.

A few months later she comes home with the "inspection" report from the latest oil change. All 4 brakes need to be replaced, metal to metal. Um, really because I replaced the brake pads the weekend before, rotors were fine, no unusual wear or gouges. Strike two.

fast forward to the end of the "free oil changes" the break light comes on just before the oil change. The service dept looks at it and says that the rear calipers are frozen and need to be replaced and they quoted her a price. She's smart enough that she denies the service indicating that I will take care of it. When I get the car home, I pulled the calipers and confirmed the were working just fine. Take the car to a Subaru dealership and they said it was a problem in the computer, it will take 5 min to flash it with a new program, no charge, haven't had a problem since (other than Subaru's insane positioning of the headlight bulbs which makes it darn near impossible to change without removing the bumper and headlight assembly).

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In my experience, and input from others, dealerships are tuned in to prey on females who bring their vehicle in for service. They understand they probably do not understand much of what is being reported as failing/failed and made to believe they'd be a fool to get back on the road without mentioned repairs.

There is a reason dealerships offer free 40 point inspections. You have now offered them a prime opportunity to get some of your money for parts/service not required at that time.

Guys coach your wife, GF, daughters to understand the psychology of the marketing plan for auto dealers and auto service centers.

Get all stated problems in writing, don't allow them to do any work until a second opinion is obtained. And don't tell the second shop what the first one found, unless it's an honest friendly independent shop.

When I take a vehicle in to have the tires rotated, I use a yellow marker to number each tire. I easily know when they are correctly rotated. I caught one dealer and his response was he wanted to keep the tires with the same wear on the same axle.

Last edited:

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
Agree with you 100% D2!!

My FIL was a mechanic, so we do most auto maintenance ourselves. Yes, it's a pain in the backside sometimes, but but it sure helps with the wallet.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
It's getting to the point where most men don't understand how their cars work either.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
D2 has it figured out.

Just had a dodge ram come in for "front end noise"
Blew a u joint and continued to drive. Two front drive axles destroyed over a $54.00 part.
So i checked other side, and replaced it. Would have been another 1,000 had he said no. Instead he was thankful. I explained what could have prevented this, guess hes coming back for regular service from now on.

Just seems that big shops quote on worst case scenario and throw unnecessary parts in. After all, customer authorized the work.
I reccomend extras as a preventitive action as long as its a failure waiting to happen.

I recently installed ball joints and dealer said they need replacing a month after.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have at some point in time worked for different kinds of bosses and managers, from some that pushed parts sales pretty hard to those who pushed every nickle and dime, but reminded everyone to be fair with the customer. I preferred to work for someone who was fair to their customers; and I learned a lot from that old man.

it's likely that the OP's issue was partly resolved by the tech, because the tech actually cared about your stuff. Probably tapped or blew the dirt off and threw it back in, doing you a favor.

There's shady "techs" out there and they typically hop from job to job fairly often, unless their boss is the same way and asks them to do this kind of shady work. Problem is, they usually don't stay under the same ownership for long....sometimes they just fold up, some just move from place to place. But usually there isn't the confident feeling from their customers. Speaking from experience.

Women customers. Typically (but not always) shops and/or techs often have to address liability when dealing with the ladies. If a lady's car has worn brakes, it's up to the tech to note it. If the lining is 1/2 worn, and said lady takes the car out, runs over someone and then another shady lawyer finds out that her car was in YOUR shop, and you didn't report that the linings were only 50%, they can have a hayday with you. Women are more likely to pursue it then men are, statistically speaking. I don't have stats in front of me, going off what an attorney told me. On that note, I always made a note to tell everyone reguardless of their gender, race, etc, of problems-or potential problems. Some folks would make accusations that I'm running a shady shop...and more power to them. If they're making a big deal out of it, they're usually not going to fix it, thus it has to be noted on the work order to protect the tech, shop, business.

Then sometimes you (as a tech) get in some pile of garbage equipment that has so many problems that you can't list them all, and they (customer) did not bring the equipment in for all those issues. You call & tell them that it has multiple issues, and they sometimes deny them, call you a liar, and tell you that you have no idea what you're doing, you're greedy for money, etc. That's how the business is, working for others.

One thing's for certain. As a tech, you're guaranteed job security if you show some pride and integrity in your work.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My wife used to take her car to the dealer for service. They would send us coupons so it cost about the same as it would be to change the oil ourselves. She quit using the dealer when they told her she needed 4 new tires, when they were just replaced 2 weeks before. :eek: Wife had the service manager and store manager go outside with her and show her what the problem was with her brand new tires :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It's getting to the point where most men don't understand how their cars work either.
And thats a fact, back in the day, a MoPar Ford or GM was easy to work on, mostly, but now,,,,, not so much we all know that.

We had a little get together some time back and the one grand daughters car had a flat, picked up a screw on the road some place. Anyways her hubbie is trying to call, some one to change the tire and moaning how much its going to cost. She said Pap can you change my tire? Sure, took him by the arm showed him how to jack it up and change the tire, find the leak and plug it. The fact that he stood there with his mouth open saying how do you know this stuff over and over, made it all worth it. I really wonder sometimes how people like this, would survive in the real world.
So its no wonder there are so many shady shops out there! theres money to be made on the dumb ones

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I'm aging myself with this statement, but the good old days we not all that good when it came to servicing cars. My now 6 year old truck ( 2011 F150 4x4 KR) has needed zero work except the regular oil changes, wiper blades, and new tires. Regular service wear items, that any vehicle needs.
I do remember cars from the 50's-70's .... drum brakes ( till early to mid 70's) points and condenser, having to always tinker with the carburetor, mechanical fuel pump, tune ups were every 10-20K, plugs, cap, rotor, adjust points. Yes they were easy to work on, but they also needed work all the time!
Most folks on here are pretty handy, and do most of their maintenance themselfs. I can't afford to have it done, so I need to know how to do things myself. A little education goes a long way in NOT getting taken to the cleaners. Some people have no desire to learn, or even have knowledge of mechanical things, I think it's their loss, but it will certainly affect their bank account. It all comes down to how involved you wish to become. Anyone can purchase an OBD2 tester and find out what their check engine light is telling them. Then you can choose to work on it or pay someone. Finding a reputable location to do the work is key, and walking in asking them what they want to change out broken widget #5, on your car is much smarter than saying...." oh my dummy light is on, can you fix it?
Take a little education with you, it will keep money in your pocket. If the shop doesn't treat you with a degree of respect, find another shop, and TELL your friends and neighbors about them. There are plenty of reputable shops and dealerships, but one or two bad ones will sour your look on every shop out there. Sorry to ramble, just my thoughts. Be informed, plain and simple, not a victim.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Well Skeets, it sounds like your grand daughter's husband was ahead of some folks....many don't know a car probably has a spare, or where it may be located, or is a "jack" required! He did know the tire was "flat"!!:D

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Well Skeets, it sounds like your grand daughter's husband was ahead of some folks....many don't know a car probably has a spare, or where it may be located, or is a "jack" required! He did know the tire was "flat"!!:D
Some new cars don't come with a spare tire. I know a guy with a new Cadillac who got a flat, went to change the tire to find only a can of fix a flat. He was dumbfounded considering what he paid for it :p

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
OldeEnglish, that's correct. Auto industry did some studies and determined the percentage of new car/truck owners who NEVER used their spare tire. Like in 10 years the tires were never used. They determined they could save some weight.

Some manufactures offered a service like AAA if they ever had a flat at no charge. They also had a can of some kind of fix-a-flat in the trunk!!

I wouldn't let a youngster drive a car until they could demonstrate (ay home) how to block the car from rolling, find the jack and spare, jack the car up and put the spare on. If they could not do that they would'nt drive!

I had a situation at a church pick-nick where this high school girl came out and discovered her right rear tire was flat. She proceeded to screaming and dancing with her arms flailing. She came to me in that posture and wanted me to change her tire. I told her to calm down and I would show her how to fix the problem. She keep her act up. Her dad came out and proceeded to change her tire. I told him where else could be safer for his daughter to learn....but he kept on. I walked away.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
One night back in the late 60's my wife and kids and myself were going home from the movies. Out in the middle of nowhere this car was sitting along side the road with the hood up. There was this guy, his wife and kids standing there looking at the motor. I stopped to see if I could help. He said his headlights went out and he guessed they would have to stay there until daylight. I checked the wiring with my flashlight and couldn't smell anything. I pulled the headlight fuse (that's when cars used buss fuses) and it was burned out. I tore off a piece of foil from my cigarette pack and wrapped it around the fuse and put it back in and had him start the car and turn on the headlights. No smoke from the wiring and no smells. The guy couldn't believe it. I wrote down the fuse number and told him to go to a parts store the next day and buy two fuses and change that one and keep one in the glove compartment for a spare and get a flashlight and leave it in the car. I showed him where the fuse went and how to change it. He tried to pay me and I told him no, that I might need help some day. They were happy campers. :)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When i was dating my now wife, i wouldnt let her take my car unless she knew how to open the hood and at check and add oil. This winter she managed to get hoods opened and boost a car. So i know now that she has been paying attention.
But i am now teaching her a little about cars, as some day i may not be around to take care of these things. People dont need to know everything, just enough to know they arent getting ripped off.

They say you need brakes, ask for a measurement. If i recall 3 mm will pass a safety inspection. Thats less than 3/16" or .187"
Not much, and its rare i will replace them before that.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
If you can afford a BEE MER you can afford to have it fixed :rolleyes:
Aint nuttin cheap any more, and every shop is out to screw you over it seems
I bought my first one used from the dealer for $25K and the second one from the original owner for $24.5k. My new one is a 2000, manufactured in Nov 1999 and it just clicked over 94k mi.
Wha-chu talkin' 'bout Willis? LOL!!! Working Class ethics die hard.

I taught my daughter to do basic service on her car. Brakes were easy and she tackled them several times. Blew a tire once and got that changed OK. She had a compressor and drove on a slow-leaker nail for six months until I noticed it while under her car and got the tire repaired. Having a compressor is a very beneficial thing!

Yeah, my wife and I broke down after 18 years and ordered a new car. I had to pay $150 extra to get a spare and a jack. I have only had to use a spare once but I would have been stranded without it. The new car I ordered came with run-flats but I was going to swap those off as soon as they wore. Run-flats are not repairable (legal issues) so you have to buy a new one every time you pick up a nail. Dumb (unless you are a tire manufacturer!).

Last edited: