Insurance ?

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I had to get kubotas insurance because I had to finance part of it when I bought it. It covers everything but injury. What do most of you do I have a 1 mil umbrella policy for my house and property that should cover everything else. I hate calling and then next you know up goes your policy. I'm most likly going to ask them mostly because I go through my woods to my neighbors and may trailer it to my dads if needed. Thanks

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Does your umbrella not cover you off your property?

Edit:

I misunderstood........you want to cover the tractor for damages? such as full coverage on a car? comprehensive?

Last edited:

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I'm not positive if my umbrella covers me off my property I'd have to call and ask my main concern is injury coverage if I hurt someone or if I damage property. I was wondering if most people put extra on there tractors. Not a bad idea to look into registering it and get insurance that way that would cover me if I go in the road.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I'm not positive if my umbrella covers me off my property I'd have to call and ask my main concern is injury coverage if I hurt someone or if I damage property. I was wondering if most people put extra on there tractors. Not a bad idea to look into registering it and get insurance that way that would cover me if I go in the road.

I have a liability policy, 300K/600K for $400 per year.

You may be able to add a liability to your umbrella cheaper if you don't already have one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you need a liability policy, Talk to your agent honestly!
If you do work for hire you need to tell your agent, a home or liability umbrella will not cover you on a work for hire situation.;)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Work for hire then turns you into a business which in most states require a Business License and Insurance on the Business, as well as a Commercial Auto policy on the trucks hauling the equipment, plus a Tax ID number for tax purposes.

Here in Virginia its a misdemeanor criminal violation to operate a business without a license.

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I have liability because I'm self employed.

He should have no problem getting a general liability policy for damages to others without a business.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
FWIW to ya........

The insurance you got on your tractor from Kubota only covers the loan. If you blew the engine and decided to no longer pay on it, or if it was stolen and not recovered and you did not pay it off.........the loan will get paid by the insurance company.

If you have it trailered and you are in an accident.... your auto policy will cover any damages done by the trailer to others but not the trailer or tractor itself.

You have an umbrella that, according to you, only covers you and your property while in your property, so any incident on your property is covered.

The only real concern is you on other's property.

I would ask if your umbrella covers you on your neighbor's property before I went and bought something I did not need.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I don't have any tractor insurance. Never had any...

But the Government will likely fix that pretty soon! :rolleyes:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I called my insurance carrier to make sure and I have liability on our own property or when traveling between properties, but no where else.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
You NEED to talk to your insurance agent! I too have an umbreller policy and its coverages and limitations are different than those reported above.

Insurance coverage can very greatly from policy to policy within one company. Than you have many differences from company. Than you have different requirements from one legal jurisdiction to another again these very greatly. What you want for coverage and where you want to be covered can only be truly answered by your agent.

My policy protects me from being sued, (within the limits of the policy), any time, any place, as long as I am not involved in an illegal activity. If I an ysing your tractor in another State on a public road and cause an accident, my policy covers me - not you, not your tractor and not injury to myself. That is how I chose my policy to work, I could have chosen different limits and coverage. I chose this to work with other policies I have.

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I spoke to my agent today and my umbrella policy only covers me for use on my property that the policy is for. Not my dads house which is technically my property but he takes care of insurance and other bills for now. I asked about transporting it and its covered under home and auto while its transported. I'm not covered at all by any of my policies if I go on any neighbors property even just to visit. They don't offer any policy at this agency that would cover that. They could do a commercial policy if I was using it for a business but I'm not planning on that I work long hours as it is no time to do stuff for others. So it's a great excuse for when someone asks to borrow it or have my come do something with it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
There are soooo many grey areas with insurance and who has to pay what and is responsible for what it aint funny.

The way I understand it is if you are "for hire" meaning making a penny as all then you need insurance up the wazooo. NOW if you're over helping the neighbor "donating" tractor time for a "charitable" cause or being "neighbourly" then whatever you screw up falls on their insurance policy.

The grey areas is what you have to watch out for because an Insurance company is quick to pass the buck and screw YOU over so they don't have to spend a dime.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Eric hit the nail with a sledger hammer. It just cost me $10'000 dollars for an accident (no fault of mine) because the insurance said I wasn't coverd. I had to choose between fighting them and loosing and also paying the
$10'000 or, just paying the $10'000. And now the gov is going to fine me if I don't get health insurance??? Any of you people that voted for him want to fess up.. I'd like to come over and @#$%^&*()_ ( visit you)!!!