Insurance Increases

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Got a letter today that stated due to increased costs we are raising your rates 25%. Time to start shopping

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Insurance costs are rising everywhere. My rates went up ~22%. I called and asked why. They told me that claims for repairs are skyrocketing and the companies are losing money because of the increased repair costs.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Got a letter today that stated due to increased costs we are raising your rates 25%. Time to start shopping
Yup......We should all shop insurance every year or two.
Insurance companies all seem to raise rates, once they think they have you hooked as a customer.
Checking the competition is the way to go.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Hate is a horrible thing.
But I've said it before, I hate insurance.
I just see my buddy switch to the military insurer. You have to be a veteran or your next of kin was a veteran. His combine homeowners and auto went down several thousand from his prior insurance company. So yiu might check into this if yiu qualify. USAA or something like that.

Reactions: 2 users

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
My rates also went up. Tried to shop around and could not find better deal. Had same reason told to me cost of parts and labor is increasing rates

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am sure most of us on this site are old enough to make bad decisions…there are a couple I am not sure about 🤪…I am not preaching or anything but just don’t check price, check payout and replacement value in the case of a total loss (meaning have to replace with a new build…if you have brick or stone you are maybe going to be shocked with what that costs in today) Currently prices of everything ridiculous inflation most of us likely not seen recently and may not realize the actual replacement value(new build)…my recommendation would consider that (new build price) and an easy comparison is what is the new price to build per square foot…that is what is looked at with replacement value and driving the rates up. We may not like the increase, but make sure of the coverage vs real replacement value. (Your replacement value will likely not be anywhere near what you paid or the tax assessment). If just shopping price you may not be happy should you need to make a claim in case of a loss if coverage doesn’t match replacement….yes that will increase your rates.

Again we are likely all old enough to make our own decisions, just sayin’. Happy shopping. And happy Turkey day on Thursday. 🥃

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
neighbour had $1000 damage to his truck, body shop said $8000. replaced stuff NOT needed AND replaced stuff previously scuffed years ago....
And you wonder WHY rates go up !!!!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I just see my buddy switch to the military insurer. You have to be a veteran or your next of kin was a veteran. His combine homeowners and auto went down several thousand from his prior insurance company. So yiu might check into this if yiu qualify. USAA or something like that.
I have been a USAA member for 61 years.
They may not be perfect, but are the best that I have found.
They pay an annual "subscribers account" dividend also.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My homeowners policy renewed in August and only increased by $63/year. But I’m not in a location that is at high risk to natural disasters such as fire, floods, tornados or hurricanes.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My sister refers to herself as insurance poor. What's she's paid for insurance on her home since 1980 she says the only way to recoup what's she's paid would be a burn to the ground fire.
Of course when she says this she's joking but just stating the honest truth also.
Living with a insurance agent for more then ten yrs I've found the cheapest insurance isn't the best choice. Progressive or AAA may cost less. But if yiu have a decent agent for a extra $13. A year you can have a $50. Deductible on the glass on your $60k truck, not $500. Deductible on glass.
It's looking at the coverages and Deductible for everything.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
25% is surprising. That's a lot. I get that EVERYTHING has increased significantly in the last couple years, but not bu that margin.

We used to use USAA for almost everything. Then they kinda fell behind. In our area anyway. We actually got better rates going through an independent agent. Granted, it was a whopping $300/ year total. But still.
No doubt they are worth checking though.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Of course insurance prices are going up. When the price of virtually everything goes up it increases the cost of claims and therefore the cost of buying insurance.

In most states, premium rates are regulated by a government agency (Department of Insurance in NC but various states have all sorts of department names and structures for rate setting). That makes premium changes a lengthy political process that, at least here, often ends up in court before it’s resolved. Add to that premiums only change on renewal. Depending on the policy, renewal may be six months, one year, three years.

Using NC as an example (because that’s the one I know very well) between the politics of rate changing and timing of renewals on whatever line of business it’s on, changing the price across an entire line of business takes an insurer: 1.5 to 2 years (6 month renewal auto); 2.5 to 3 years (1 year renewal such as homeowner, business auto, dwelling policies, and a bunch of others); 7 to 8 years (some commercial and farm policies).

When there are persistent price increases in building repair cost, auto repair cost, and medical/injury claim cost rates increase to address that and a “normal” rate of inflation is expected and addressed to some degree which is why insurance of all sorts has price creep like most other things.

However, when the rate of inflation exceeds those expectations of “normal” your local gas station can change the price of fuel 3 times a day if they want. Insurers can’t. So by the time you actually see a change in premium it’s so delayed it isn’t a “gee, our auto and home insurance is up a little” it’s more of a “WTF are they doing???”

If you want to see what happens when those government regulatory agencies help the consumer by forcing rates to stay low to the point insurers are losing money with no hope of doing anything other than lose money, check out the history of property insurance in Florida. Check out what’s going on in California with both their property and casualty insurance markets.

For those of you who hate insurance, I do kind of understand. After a bit over 33 years, I’m getting a bit tired of it myself. If you truly hate insurance please don’t buy it. Self insure everything. Don’t borrow money and you won’t have to deal with banks or insurance companies. Only buy the absolute minimum insurance you have to have. Just do NOT expect to be covered for one penny beyond the bare bones insurance you were forced to buy. If you have a loss (someone sues you over some alleged civil wrong, your house burns down, etc.) just handle it yourself so you don’t waste that premium money and won’t have to deal with some hateful insurance company.

If you actually HATE something, don’t buy it. I kind of strongly dislike Pepsi (too sweet), so I don’t buy it. Beyond lender and statutory requirements, insurance is no different. It’s a business tool to reduce your risk of loss in whatever area you’re buying the insurance. Treat it that way. If you prefer to self insure part or all of something you could insure, do it. Just don’t expect Bugatti coverage when you bought a Dodge. By all means, shop rates. Check out reviews and reputation of the company for paying claims. Do your due diligence and treat it like any other investment or financial tool.

For example, you may think you have to have a full blown Homeowner policy because you have a mortgage and your lender requires it. You can protect your lender’s interest with a dwelling policy (a landlord type policy) that just covers the structure. You don’t have to have coverage for your personal property, additional living expense, liability, etc. that comes with the homeowner policy. Personally, I prefer to have liability insurance so I have it. If you don’t want it, don’t have any past whatever your state mandates (if there is a any at all required).

Edit: The rate setting described above is an over simplification of the complete process. There’s also the thing that a tsunami in Japan or a volcanic eruption in New Zealand impacts homeowner rates in Indiana, but that’s not the problem at the moment. Inflation is the problem at the moment and insurance is playing catch up on pricing as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I understand and accept that rates have to increase when claims costs increase. The rates have to cover the claims plus the overhead of the insurance company. Where I have an issue is with the companies being allowed to "contribute" to all manner of political patronage, "social" cause,etc. that probably a majority of the customers do not support.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Remember, insurance companies are in the business to make money. The more they make, the happier are their investors. if you want your voice heard, don't buy their insurance and write them to say why, then tell everyone within the sound of your voice also......

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
My father was military but has passed. I may have missed the boat on that one.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Keep hearing it over and over. And now a lot of insurance companies want you to replace your roof or water heater at a certain age. Honestly your roof should be pro-rated based on its age, too many people just get a free roof every 10 years thanks to the storm chasers.

My favorite is Virginia now requires under-insured coverage on your car policy. BUT YOU DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE TO HAVE CAR INSURANCE!!!! So people continue to not have insurance but you punish the people that have it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My sister refers to herself as insurance poor. What's she's paid for insurance on her home since 1980 she says the only way to recoup what's she's paid would be a burn to the ground fire.
Of course when she says this she's joking but just stating the honest truth also.
Living with a insurance agent for more then ten yrs I've found the cheapest insurance isn't the best choice. Progressive or AAA may cost less. But if yiu have a decent agent for a extra $13. A year you can have a $50. Deductible on the glass on your $60k truck, not $500. Deductible on glass.
It's looking at the coverages and Deductible for everything.
I had a $240,000 house fire loss in 1987.
Had replacement value coverage.
I was 47 years old in 1987, and figured that I could pay whatever premiums, for probably 50 years, and still be ahead of the insurance "game".
I am 83 now,...... but few make it to 97.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I understand and accept that rates have to increase when claims costs increase. The rates have to cover the claims plus the overhead of the insurance company. Where I have an issue is with the companies being allowed to "contribute" to all manner of political patronage, "social" cause,etc. that probably a majority of the customers do not support.
I completely agree with that. And to my mostly anecdotal knowledge, the politicization of the rate structure, policy contract approval process, relevant statutory law, and pretty much everything else “insurance” means insurers tend to politically support whoever is in power or about to be in power. In US politics regardless which side of the aisle you’re on, if you ain’t paying you ain’t playing.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Hade a pleasant chat with my agent. Based on my no claim history they are requesting a lower or no increase and shopping other providers. Everyone increased that they carry some more than others. We’ll see what they come up with

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have found that a good agent is more important than the price. The agency that I use had given my account to a new agent, who went looking for a better price for my homeowner's policy and a policy for my rental property. She found a company that would take both properties after an inspection. They came back with a no for the rental property saying that it was too close to another commercial property. They were OK with my home. Coincidentally my home and the rental property both border the "commercial" property and my home and the rental property are contiguous to each other. I was lucky that I was able to get my original policies renewed without any problems. I have now been with them for the last 8 or 9 years. Premiums go up slightly every year, but there are never any problems with renewals.