Installing Lights on ROPS

imstephanw

Dec 1, 2011
Newark, NY
Hello Everyone! I'm trying to decide which way to go on installing lights on the ROPS of my BX1860 tractor w/FEL. I've been reading and getting ideas from other postings but I'm still trying to figure out a set-up option. I want to run 2 trapezoid halogens forward and one flood light on the back. I would like to run separate switches for the front 2 lights and 1 for the rear. I would also run an in-line fuse on the front lights and one for the rear. I was wondering if the rear taped wiring in the back of the tractor was a separate circuit from the 20 amp lighting fuse? If not then I was going to run 2-50 watt sealed beam halogens off the 20 amp circuit and tap into the 12 volt receptacle for the 50 watt rear light. I would like to tap into that 12 volt underneath the tractor somewhere rather than plug in a 12 volt power adapter.
I was also looking at the BXpanded Quick-On Work Light Kit. It looks like an easier install but a bit pricey and you still need an extra light for the rear which runs another $59. If anyone has ideas or maybe I'm going in the right direction with the first thought, I would be grateful to hear from some of you.
Thank you!:confused:

Last edited:

Machold

Equipment
B3030, KB snowblower, LP grader, WS chipper, SF splitter, B7400
Sep 1, 2011
Wellandport, ON
www.machold.ca
My B303 had an extra wire at the rear where I attached my lights; grounded them to the chassis, added a switch and an inline fuse and all's well. You have to know if your Dynamo can handle the lights you want. One thing I did not do was drill into the ROPS; I used U bolts.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I just mounted lights on my ROPS Thanksgiving week I sourced the lights off the back of the fuse block , I attatched to the large wire coming from the ignition so if any lights left on I wouldnt kill my battery. I also fused the front lights and the back lights separtly using inline fuses see photos

Attachments

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I have a L3800 and several Kubota mechanics have told me that the taped up wiring harness on (my) left fender is the 10 Amp "work light" circuit. Mine tested hot and ready to go. The problem is that most halogens pull a fair amt of amps so putting 3 on that circuit is pushing it. If I can scrape up the $$, I'll be going with some LED lights with 2 forward and 1 rear - on two different switches. I figure #10 wire is plenty heavy enough - but I could use #12 in a pinch. I haven't figured up the mounting method - but I do have some ideas using screw band clamps.

Good Luck.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I did pretty much the same thing on my 2360, the bracket on top of the ROPS with 2 55watt off road lamps,, wallyworld I think like 25 bucks,, the bracket is wide enough for both lights and stands about 2 1/2 over the ROPS i use a 2x4 to brake the street sign I found, I made clamps and used 4, 3 inch bolts to clap it to the top of the ROPS. ( I would post a pic but for some reason I cant seem to get things loaded)
I ran a line off the battery through a 15 amp inline fuse and placed the switch on the grill cover that covers the battery. The lights work well, though if you have any over hanging branches they will clean the lights off,,,, dont ask,,,, I thought about mounting the lights under the ROPS but my head gets in the way.
I also mounted a 55 watt driving lamp where the hazard sign use to be, made a bracket and bolted it in place for use in backing up, you know just to see what Im backing over.. total 165 watts (I dont use the head light with the plow as they are useless).
So far I have no had no power isuses as long as you keep the rpms up the battery will be ok other wise it is a drain, I also have a sears battery tender I keep hooked up in the winter 30 bucks, I use the same kind for the Harley Battery in the winter.

I = 165watts/12VDC= 13.75 amps power draw with all 3 lamps burning,
I hope this helps some

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Re: Installing Lights on ROPS (round vs rectangle)

I want to thank all of you out there for providing such good advice on installing lights on the ROPS. I have decided to go with the 27 Watt LED flood lights from AutoIllumination.Com. But undecided on whether the round or rectangular lights are better.

Does anyone have a preference on LED lights size (round vs rectangular) and why?

Many thanks.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Im not sure why youd go with the 27 watt when the 55 watt is so much better Ive seen the 27 watt and not very impressed The 55 watt gives you great light, nothing like going to all the work of installing lights and not being satisfied. just something to think about

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to along with bull on this one, the first ones I tried were the leds they were more of a dark rather than a light was not real impressed,, the 55 watt lamps are rectangular because that the ones I bought no other reason, the rear facing lamp is round and to be honest I dont see to much of a difference up close. Now way down the highway they may make a difference but at the distance you willl be useing them which ever style floats your boat. Keeps us up dated maybe you might hit on something they rest of us can draw on.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
The reason I'm going with the LED lights is because they only draw 2.2 Amps each - while the 55 Watt regular work lights pull about 5 Amps each. I want to add 3 lights and have them all run on the existing 10 amp work light circuit available at the rear of the L.R. fender. Putting 3 regular 55 Watt work lights will put me over the 10 Amp limit.

Several OTT members have endorsed the LED lights and are pleased with their output. I know they're expensive, so I've decided to use a 55 Watt regular work light as the rear light and use (2) LED lights from AutoIllumination.Com as the forward facing units. Together I'm only pulling about 9.4 amps - it should work. The LED units are 27 Watt ones with a output of 1,600 Lumins - which is more than the regular work lights. Plus they have an estimated life of 30,000 hours! (I'll be in the ground before they burn out...)

I was just wondering what the preference was in terms of rectangular lights vs round.

TimP

Equipment
B3000
Jan 16, 2012
Baltimore, MD. USA
One of the key spec on these light is the Lumen output.

I ordered some of the pricey Rigid Industries Dually D2 which are 27 watt but put out a staggering 2600 Lumens EACH while only using 2 Amps each.

bcbbull378 (Daniel)... I'll say it again... that is one good looking mounting bracket setup you have for your lights.

Where can I get that ?

Thanks, Tim

bcbull378

Equipment
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
One of the key spec on these light is the Lumen output.

I ordered some of the pricey Rigid Industries Dually D2 which are 27 watt but put out a staggering 2600 Lumens EACH while only using 2 Amps each.

bcbbull378 (Daniel)... I'll say it again... that is one good looking mounting bracket setup you have for your lights.

Where can I get that ?

Thanks, Tim
I just bought a piece of flat stock and drilled and painted and as you can see I sandwitched the ropes with it to avoid drilling the rops, very simple installation if you need more in fo let me know I can e-mail you more pics.....Dan

TimP

Equipment
B3000
Jan 16, 2012
Baltimore, MD. USA
Hi Dan.

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

You did a great job... as I said, they look like something retail.

Anyway.... I'd sure appreciate any additonal pictures you can share.

I will have to try my luck to come up with something like that.

It's perfect.

I see you just sent me a PM too. So I'll be sending you a message.

Thanks again.

Regards, Tim

Last edited: