Inletting Marlin 336 Stock

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I have an old Marlin 336RC 30-30 with a busted stock. The serial number indicates the rifle was manufactured in 1968. I ordered a replacement walnut stock from Precision Gun Works out of Texas. It cam in yesterday and is going to require some inletting. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd certainly appreciate it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Dremel tool and patience. I've done a number of replacement stocks over the ears, mostly for trigger upgrades. I don't like wood stocks as a rule, I prefer carbon fiber or polymer as they are unaffected by moisture and are lighter plus they require no special care. I have a couple vintage sticks with Monte-Carlo wood stocks that are vintage correct and all of them have been 'inletted' which is a big word for modded to accept modern adjustable trigger groups.

If you approach it carefully and remove material and fit and rinse and repeat numerouns times, no one will ever know it's modified.

Not a fan of pre 60's triggers at all. Most are gritty, have way too much pre travel and too much let off plus, most aren't adjustable at all. I prefer a Jewel or a Timney or a Kidd myself and they all require furniture modification.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
This rifle is way yonder from mint condition. I got it for next to nothing. I'm wanting to get a stock back on it to keep in cart while out riding on my place for hogs hogs and various other varmints.

Flip, I looked around for a polymer stock for it but there dont seem to be very many offerings for the 336 that I could find. Those that I did find were out of stock.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Polymer stocks are short-cut cheap imitations of the real thing. REAL firearms are works-of-art blending fine machine-work, craftsmanship, and warm, real furniture together into useful but beautiful artwork.
Black guns made of polymer and stamped sheet-metal are ugly.

Several videos online.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Back in the '60s my father sporterized an '03 Springfield, and did all the work himself, including re-bluing and hand carving the new stock from a piece of cherry, 4" x 7" x 48". He used no power tools at all. I can remember him spending hours rubbing the barreled action with graphite, fitting it in the stock, removing it, checking the fits/clearances, and working it again & again. It was a work of art when he finished, and it was the first firearm I ever shot. I was six, and hit an 18" gong at a measured 600yrds prone. It was in his will that I receive it after his death, but my "mother" gave it to my idjit brother, who will not sell it to me, and will probably end up pawning it for $5.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Back in the '60s my father sporterized an '03 Springfield, and did all the work himself, including re-bluing and hand carving the new stock from a piece of cherry, 4" x 7" x 48". He used no power tools at all. I can remember him spending hours rubbing the barreled action with graphite, fitting it in the stock, removing it, checking the fits/clearances, and working it again & again. It was a work of art when he finished, and it was the first firearm I ever shot. I was six, and hit an 18" gong at a measured 600yrds prone. It was in his will that I receive it after his death, but my "mother" gave it to my idjit brother, who will not sell it to me, and will probably end up pawning it for $5.
If it was in the will.... you won’t be stealing it should you go get it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
No chance, after his death my "mother" disowned and threw out all the kids, & somehow got his will revoked/changed so that she could keep everything, including the small inheritances that each kid was to receive, and the firearms as well. (already checked into this)
One brother sucked up to her for decades, so he got some of the guns.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Everyone assumes this only happens in OTHER families. It’s especially likely if Alzheimer's is involved. I’ve seen families with a thief that go undetected for years.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have an old Marlin 336RC 30-30 with a busted stock. The serial number indicates the rifle was manufactured in 1968. I ordered a replacement walnut stock from Precision Gun Works out of Texas. It cam in yesterday and is going to require some inletting. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd certainly appreciate it.
Having a medium to show where the wood is contacting the metal is key. Inletting black in a small jar will last many many inletting jobs. The old school way is a soot lamp. I personally would stay away from rotary tools as its easy to remove material in a hurry that might cause a unsightly gap or even reduce the amount of recoiling area to a point to where stock splits under recoil are a concern.
Having inletted dozens if not hundreds of stocks I preferred chisels (kept extremely sharp) or scrappers (can be purchased from Brownells for example or made from such common things as broken hacksaw blades.).
As you trial fit using a inletting medium avoid the urge to pound or hammer the stock onto the tangs, you can get false readings of your high spots.

Edited to expand on not using too much force when trial fitting. Many tangs of firearms are shaped in such a way that they act as a wedge when fitting. I have witnessed folks inletting butt stocks that would use a mallet or a cushioned workbench top to seat while inletting and ended up splitting the the stock.
My method was to use a gentle slap of my hand on the butt plate or butt of stock. Just enough to imprint the high spots. If you have to stuggle to pull a partially inletted stock off the action your using to much force.

Good inletting takes time and patience .

Good luck with your rifle!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@ehenry - - I think the guys give good advice to get it back to working order.

I'm not much of a fan of 336's and your intended use is a good one for one in rough shape. .30-30 is a good round for that also.

it will make a great piece to have nearby when needed......

I would follow their advice, but not sweat the small stuff to get it fitted.

My first thought was a nylon stock, but you covered that ground.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Back in the '60s my father sporterized an '03 Springfield, and did all the work himself
My 2 grandfathers were complete opposites; one a sweet soft-spoken dairy farmer, the other a hellion outlaw that taught me how to poach deer.

The outlaw offered me a gift of a 1903 Springfield if I got a 93% average in school. It was in pretty decent shape. I thought the peep sight was cool.

He had given me a Remington Model 10 12 gauge shotgun a year before, when I was 12.

I got a 92.7...so no gun. Afterthought is that one or both may have been "hot," as he did spend some time "up the river..."

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I've got more in the replacement stock than the 336. I"m not looking to make an heirloom out of it. I just want it to be safe to shoot.

I'll say this, I'm not impressed with the mill work of the stock that Precision Gun Works sent. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Polymer stocks are short-cut cheap imitations of the real thing. REAL firearms are works-of-art blending fine machine-work, craftsmanship, and warm, real furniture together into useful but beautiful artwork.
Black guns made of polymer and stamped sheet-metal are ugly.

Several videos online.
Not true. Today the very best rifles all wear synthetic stocks, mostly carbon fiber and... None of the high end stock makers make a wood stock. MacMillan don't, Bartlien don't, none that I know of though you can still buy a wood stocked gun from a mass producer like Savage, but all the high end Savages are in Carbon Fiber. it's stable, don't absorb moisture and it's much more durable than any wood stock can ever hope to be.

In as much as there are no 'black guns' in my gun cabinet, I cannot comment on them as I have no interest in them anyway.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've got more in the replacement stock than the 336. I"m not looking to make an heirloom out of it. I just want it to be safe to shoot.

I'll say this, I'm not impressed with the mill work of the stock that Precision Gun Works sent. Hopefully it will turn out ok.
I'm sure you can make it workable. Bet it'll be a good gun for your intended use. :cool:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Not true. Today the very best rifles all wear synthetic stocks, mostly carbon fiber and... None of the high end stock makers make a wood stock. MacMillan don't, Bartlien don't, none that I know of though you can still buy a wood stocked gun from a mass producer like Savage, but all the high end Savages are in Carbon Fiber. it's stable, don't absorb moisture and it's much more durable than any wood stock can ever hope to be.

In as much as there are no 'black guns' in my gun cabinet, I cannot comment on them as I have no interest in them anyway.
Not really, There are High makers still using wood. Most of it is art work all done by hand over many months. I've shot some of them and they are a thing of of beauty to hold. I held the line at a 416 Rigby BBL from England.... I'm old and getting smarter everyday.

Look at Griffin-Howe and dream. Those guy's do it right.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
There comes to mind a few high end rifle makers that offer wood stocks. While some may argue that they are mass producers they build quality , accurate rifles.
Kimber, Cooper rifles, Sako are three for example.
I love that there is a market and pros and cons for both traditional wood and synthetic rifle stocks.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Take a look at the old Weatherbys. They are as much fun to look at as to shoot. Reminds me of when "donuts" started replacing full size spare tires. Also like the difference between an original painting and a poster from the mall in my opinion. The Amish make quilts as a store of value. Maybe they don't know you can buy a blanket at Walmart for ten bucks. I rest my case.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK back on track, It has been a long time since I had a 336, and it was a super little rifle. However fitting the stock shouldn't be a big problem if you take your time and use some sort of marking medium to show the high spots and use a sharp chisel or sand paper to remove them, remember you can always take it off but putting it back on,,,, not so much. Or you can approach it with reckless disreguard like a bud did to an old shotgun and fixed his screw ups with bondo. I didnt look reall pretty but it never failed and the fit was tight and solid. At least up till he lost it in a boating accident,, no really he did, his canoe tipped over hunting ducks, but thats another story. Just take your time and dont rush even a beater truck gun needs some love

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I've got $30 in the 336 itself and $100 in the walnut stock and an inletting kit that includes chisels, files, inletting black and several other things. So far things are going well. I've gotten a tight fit and will start sanding and finishing it this weekend. It will take some work around the tangs to make it close to right.

Attachments