injector pump bleed?

rayc

Equipment
kubota L4310 hstc
Apr 26, 2011
prince township , ontario, canada
Hi all, new to kubota with a new to me 4310hstc model. If i open the bleed screw on the injector pump with tractor running will i get fuel oil out of the vent? Also which way is it closed, by turning clock wise? Thanks to all in advance

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
As with any diesel injector pump, that is meant to be a static bleed "with the engine off". It is on the inlet side of the pump, opening while running could introduce air into the system. On some engines you "crank" the engine for a few seconds with the engine stop in the off position (ie. so it won't start), to remove any air between the booster pump if so equipped and the injector pump. RC

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Hi all, new to kubota with a new to me 4310hstc model. If i open the bleed screw on the injector pump with tractor running will i get fuel oil out of the vent? Also which way is it closed, by turning clock wise? Thanks to all in advance
If it is like my l3130 you open it then start the engine and then close the valve again after the engine has run a few seconds.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm not sure on your model but if it has the small knob that you turn no fuel will come out running or not. If it has a hollow bolt where the fuel line hooks to the pump you will get fuel and a bunch of it. Just the way you are describing it to me it sounds like you have the knob. Clockwise is closed and be sure you leave it close while using the tractor. The only time it's needed is during service on your fuel filter. After you change the filter it should have one of two set ups. Either a primer pump to charge the filter or a bleed screw on top of the filter base. Especially on newer diesels all mojor manufacturers say do not prefill the fuel filter before installation. Prefilling the filter you stand a greater chance of introducing contaminants into your fuel system and could cause damage to your pump or injectors. Once you get fuel in the filter fully turn the knob counter clockwise and crank the engine over. When it starts turn the knob clockwise and hand tighten it. You should be ready to operate after that.