hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
My email address is

markhdg-AT-gmail-DOT-com.

It has gotten to be such a pain to get on the site (stupid popups)- sometimes I can go days without it happening, others (like this morning), I have to make numerous- sometimes a dozen or more- attempts before I can get on to OTT. I'm not quitting, but it does get frustrating. If you don't see me around, its because either I can't get on the site, or I'm so frustrated that I'm not trying to.

It may be my computer- I'm not savy enough to work that out. But, OTT is the only site (out of dozens that I visit on a daily basis) where I deal with it. It is what it is.

MODERATOR NOTE: email address modified to prevent from attracting phishing robots which attracts spambots to the site as well. Recommend to NEVER put your email or phone number in public. This helps keep you from getting on spam list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I understand your frustration. During my regular computer maintenance (defrag and disc cleanup )i delete my browser history and cookies.
Make a note of your saved passwords and favorite sites because they usually go away.
I never have these issues anymore as i do most of my interweb stuff on my iphone. And deleting history helps when i get pop up ads.

I have found this works on some occasions.

Alt/crtl/delete to bring up task manager, perhaps there is an unwanted program running.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You know I aint no puter geek, but I down loaded google chrome and did the add blocker thingie,, damn I cant believe all the crap it blocks,, just a thought

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The older machines with older operating systems and browsers are just a little too far behind in firepower to keep up with all the junk that's out there these days.

The good news is you can probably get a new Windows 10 machine for under $300 and move your files you want to keep up to your One Drive (or since you have gmail, Google Drive) and then back down to your new system. Windows 10 can actually help you do this.

If you're interested in this option, I am a computer geek and can help you in the private thread area or via email. Phone may be possible but difficult given the time zone differences.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
ShaunRH, would you email him with your offer of help? It sounds like he has so much trouble getting on he won't see your post for some time. He often has helpful things to say and it would be a shame to lose him off the forum. There are quirky things about this forum, eg the error 506 that I only get when using wifi and the Dodge Ram ad is up. The second I turn off AdBlock plus I can access again albeit slowly.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
My laptop is about a year old. I do use google chrome. I have malwarebyte and webroot.
I need to rustle up a 12 year old to figure it out for me:D.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
hodge, this combo works great for me: Firefox, and these Firefox add-ons - Ad Blocker Plus, Self-Destructing Cookies, and Ghostery.

Add Blocker Plus - blocks ads

Self-Destructing Cookies - any cookies immediately self destruct when you leave a web page

Ghostery - simple but takes a little bit of learning, but no biggie, and you'll be amazed how many trackers and other stuff is prevented from loading on your computer from all websites.

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
My laptop is about a year old. I do use google chrome. I have malwarebyte and webroot.
I need to rustle up a 12 year old to figure it out for me:D.
Well that changes things...

I'm used to the complaint you have with folks with older XP systems and IE. A year old and using Chrome with it's ad blocker on you shouldn't have the issues you are getting.

Even IE 11 can block ads pretty good these days but Win 10 and Edge is much better at it if you want an MS product, so stick with Chrome if you are on something previous to Windows 10. I view this forum a lot on a Win 7 machine with IE 11 and don't have many issues.

The other suggestions are good ones but some not for consumer grade use levels.

Really it's something of an issue for the moderators here. I think I'd rather pay for some kind of annual subscription and not get ads at all or have different 'paid member' areas and open to the public areas. vBulletin is getting a little long in the tooth (I ran it as BBS software pre-Y2K) and has a lot of options but ads are something it never really did well without some custom programming. I'm sure it's better these days but clearly it still has some speed issues regarding ads.

I'm okay with paying a nominal amount for a good board, but not having to put up with ads as well. On the plus side, I don't see many ads these days but I don't know if that is because my ad-blocker is working well or there aren't many ads!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I believe in the cleaning out old temporary files,as they get old they tend to attract flies so to speak.

Block third party cookies serms to cut back on the junk.

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
I understand not everyone can or wishes to use apple products but I just want to mention again that I do not see any ads of any sort on this site. That is using either Safari or Chrome or Tapatalk. I use Crystal content blocker on iOS devices and Ad Blocker in Chrome. This is so effective that I am feeling a little guilty as there is a cost to running a site like this and the modest amounts of money that ad income creates will help support this site. I may white list this site to allow reasonable static ads to show.

As TJ mentioned, blocking cookies and cleaning out old files will also help Windows users.