Identify these weights

drich

Equipment
B2601
Jun 18, 2017
Colorado
Hello all

I found these on Craig's list and I'm going to use them on the 3 point hitch for ballast. I will weld up a mount for them so the quick hitch will work. The seller did not know where they came from. They weight 425 pounds each. I did take them apart so I can wire brush them and paint so they look better. The only marking I see is a BW 840 cast in the center ring. If you know what they they are please share.

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
They are Ford Tractor pie weights. If you google that you will come up with pictures of them on tractors.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello all

I found these on Craig's list and I'm going to use them on the 3 point hitch for ballast. I will weld up a mount for them so the quick hitch will work. The seller did not know where they came from. They weight 425 pounds each. I did take them apart so I can wire brush them and paint so they look better. The only marking I see is a BW 840 cast in the center ring. If you know what they they are please share.
As BAP has posted, the pictured weights are so-called "Pie" weights for vintage Ford tractors with 28" wheels.

Several sizes and styles were available. The set that you have is a so-called "light" set as evidenced by the 4, rather than 8, holes for mounting the disc to the wheel center.

I am somewhat of an expert on such weight sets, having bought, refinished, and sold several sets over the years and still have a couple of complete sets on hand.

Do you have the mounting adapters needed to attach the disc to the wheel centers? There should be 8 in this case.

Pie weight sets, if complete including mounting adapters, are quite marketable to both collectors and users of vintage Ford tractors.

SDT

drich

Equipment
B2601
Jun 18, 2017
Colorado
Thanks for the help, this is all I got from the seller. Where would a good place be to place a add and what are these worth do you think? I wanted suitcase weights but could not find a set at what I could afford so I bought these. I would be happy to trade for equal weight.. thanks

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks for the help, this is all I got from the seller. Where would a good place be to place a add and what are these worth do you think? I wanted suitcase weights but could not find a set at what I could afford so I bought these. I would be happy to trade for equal weight.. thanks
Usually, the best place to sell pie weights is your local CL and the YT antique tractor forum.

They are quite marketable but weight deals are killed by distance due to shipping costs so most sets are sold locally.

You should have little trouble swapping your set for used suitcase weights of similar weight.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Here's some I saw on Craig's List.

https://seks.craigslist.org/grd/d/hutchinson-ford-tractor-weights/7124035592.html

FORD TRACTOR WEIGHTS - $1200 (Hutchinson)

Complete, but much too expensive. Maybe $650-$700.

I've sold several identical sets for $1,000 but only after sandblasting all parts to bare metal before properly priming and painting with the correct CNH paint and including a set of matching front wheel weights, which were also properly refinished.

Properly refinishing a set of pie weights is a lot of work, and IMO, nearly doubles the value of the set.

SDT