Ideas for speed bumps on gravel road

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Has anyone tried calling the police and give them permission to sit on your land to hit the speeders with radar? We did that at my folks place where there is a blind corner with a narrow bridge. Had some bad accidents there over the years and one guy even smashed through the railings on the bridge, but lucky for him his truck stopped him from a 30ft fall into a small river. We let the police sit at the bottom of the driveway and they nabs speeders every timethey sit there, by the time they see him it's too late. After a few $300 tickets the regulars start slowing down :D, and the cops love it because it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I agree with Wolfman about the liability of building your own traps. If they crash you could be liable even if you put up signs. It's a toss up who would win in court but it's a guarantee that it will cost you $$$ to hire a lawyer to defend yourself.

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
I am getting a real kick reading through all these suggestions. Seems like a lot of you all go through the same thing. My major problem is the dust. Our house is about 150 feet of the easement and during the dry season the dust carries over to our house and I am constantly cleaning up, blowing the driveway and porches off. The crushed asphalt has made it considerably better but there is still room for improvement. Before I bought the property a neighbor used to maintain the road with his bobcat. It was the wrong tool for the job. What he ended up doing was making the road the low spot by taking the crown out of the road with his FEL. Before the asphalt went in it would turn into a mud pit. Like i said it is way better now but I need to get 4/5 more truck loads of the asphalt to get a better crown built up over the 600ft section in front of my house. Anyway, love the responses...only one I have not heard is land mines...that would get my vote.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
know plenty of folk who say "Mother in Laws" would make good speed bumps:D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I am getting a real kick reading through all these suggestions. Seems like a lot of you all go through the same thing. My major problem is the dust. Our house is about 150 feet of the easement and during the dry season the dust carries over to our house and I am constantly cleaning up, blowing the driveway and porches off. The crushed asphalt has made it considerably better but there is still room for improvement. Before I bought the property a neighbor used to maintain the road with his bobcat. It was the wrong tool for the job. What he ended up doing was making the road the low spot by taking the crown out of the road with his FEL. Before the asphalt went in it would turn into a mud pit. Like i said it is way better now but I need to get 4/5 more truck loads of the asphalt to get a better crown built up over the 600ft section in front of my house. Anyway, love the responses...only one I have not heard is land mines...that would get my vote.
We have the same issue with dust in the summer. The builder of the neighborhood didn't put a road in that meets county specs or they would have taken it over and seal coated it. Local judge said sorry bout your luck, and the builders been bankrupt for some time. In order for the county to take it over, the road would have to be widened about 8 ft, and with only 6 homes on the road, it's not a big priority.

Coach, my mil is the bomb. But I got a step mother that I could donate for the cause :D

Confused8122

Equipment
L3600
Oct 26, 2014
Marquette, mi
What about a gate? Friends of mine have property that has easement to a bunch of camps behind them. Supposedly they are not required to maintain, just allow traffic, ie. Can't keep people out.
During certain times of the year (spring break up, hunting, etc.) they close their gates. No locks, but it makes people stop, slow down, etc.
But his road is completely private, all mail boxes are at end, no county maintenance, no nothing, it is essentially his driveway.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Our local road maintenace crew removed a delapitated bridge, and installed what is called a ford crossing. Its a big dip in the road. Someone had no clue what a ford crossing was and hit it at 60 mph. It was signed and big warning to go 20. Needless to say car was airborne and it pretty much destroyed it. Municipality wasnt at fault as it was properly marked. Insurance refused-driving too fast for road conditions.

I feel your pain, speed limit is 30 past my house,they go 60+.
I have a double row of tall spruce trees, they trap the dust and reduce a little of the noise.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Has anyone tried calling the police and give them permission to sit on your land to hit the speeders with radar?
Neighborhood family up the street (with small children) got tired of the speeders on our residential street, and borrowed a radar gun from the local cop shop. Speed limit is 25mph, and in 30 days she clocked over 2 dozen at 60mph or above, one at 73mph. Took her documentation back to the cops, who set up to catch some speeders & 'splain to them the error of their ways. Then we petitioned the city to install speed bumps. We now have (5) in about 3/8 of a mile. We live on an asphalt street, but maybe your local cops have a similar loaner program.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If the cops don't do any better for him than they did on my street it's a waste of time to bring them out. 3 came out here for 30 minutes one afternoon and wrote 12 or 15 tickets, left and have never been back unless they are just passing thru.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello, I travel the world and see a lot of different solutions to the same problem. Actually the best solution for speed bumps are big bumps. The small plastic ones make to much noise and speed is no problem, if you have the suspension. What works are speed bumpers of asphalt 6-8 feet wide and up to 8" hight. If those are near enough there is even no time to speed up. This solution is used in Kuwait in construction areas and last also the heavy traffic.
It is annoying to drive on those roads, but it really slow down the traffic...

BR carl

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
I ordered my signs yesterday. I also found an outfit that sells solid plastic speed bumps so I am going to go that route. I believe they will handle any load. I want to dress the road with my rock rake first before I put the bumps down. I want to move any lose material towards the crown. Then the fun begins. I am going to have some neighbors that are not too happy. I plan to put some big eucalyptus rounds on the outside of the road to keep traffic from going around them. They weigh a good 200 pounds.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I ordered my signs yesterday. I also found an outfit that sells solid plastic speed bumps so I am going to go that route. I believe they will handle any load. I want to dress the road with my rock rake first before I put the bumps down. I want to move any lose material towards the crown. Then the fun begins. I am going to have some neighbors that are not too happy. I plan to put some big eucalyptus rounds on the outside of the road to keep traffic from going around them. They weigh a good 200 pounds.
If they are relatively easy to move, move them around every couple weeks to month just to keep things interesting.:D

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
When we bought our house the road was macadam with dips and bumps. People avoided our road to the point when a car came down it we would look out the window thinking someone was stopping by! Well times have changed the township paved it as its a school bus route. Now theres lots of traffic and cars go way faster than the posted 25 mph. Its dangerous!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'easement' is THE reason I didn't buy 35ac with house/barn on it decades ago. road also had 3 other houses, and I'd be at the end.
Saw problems like
1) WHO maintains the road ?
2) blocked road due to stalled cars ?
3) neighbour 'issues' like #1 and #2

At the time ,didn't have easy access to dozers and excavators to make a new 'MY' driveway and then block off the other with Jersy barriers and chain.

for dust control, plant FAST growing trees and shrubs 2-3 -4 rows of them, small-medium, tall. yes,it'll take time but if this is your forever home, well worth the effort.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

this guy is from Spain - yes - "he" is pointing to a product, but the product DOES fit the post - EVEN if it is based in Miami , spam or not - I will let "him" have a little more rope!

thanks for the continued support with spam!!!

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Instead of placing the bumps perpendicular to the direction of travel, place them at 45° angles across. That way only one tire hits it at a time.
The down side is that some donkey is likely to drive around it.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The very best and lasting speed bumps on dirt or gravel roads is to have a small dozer cut rolling dips into the road surface itself. Then cover with gravel. Research rolling dips. They are primarily used on woods roads for drainage, but they would also serve as speed bumps.