I think I've made my retirement decision....

Tpack

Equipment
Kubota L3901/4x4/525 FEL /1260 Cutter
Aug 22, 2015
Stephenville
I had planned on working until 65 years old but was laid off at 61years and 9 months old in 2020 due to Covid BS. Received a nice severance $$$ and unemployment for quite some time (they made the rules). Much better than just walking out the door with a handshake and a smile. I had 2 opportunities to go back within 15 months but couldn`t agree on the money once and I was only willing to go back part time the second time. 3.5 years into retirement and I still miss it and my old friends but waking up every day with no plans and stress free is pretty sweet. My insurance was 265 a month thru wife's employer until I hit 65. Having everything paid off made it much easier than I ever thought. Living on 2 social security checks and one pension with both of us on Medicare with supplements (wife's supplement is free). 100% of retirement accounts are untouched and growing (so far).

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
RCW Congrats! I am plan on retiring in about 75 weeks from now. Could retire now and it may end up that was.... Just turned 65 The funeral for a coworker that died at 60 is tomorrow. Still working remote and enjoy what I do. But if my company says that we all need to go back into the office I will retire 1st. Money is not an issue it's just my enjoyment of what I do. I'm in outside sales and I never have anyone come in to the office. It's always site visits, E-Mail, WebEx or phone. That's a big part of the enjoyment of what I do helping solve issues. Growing my accounts and not being cooped up in an office micro-managed. Probably after I retire I will get more active than I already am with the VSCDA and SCCA as I do the Timing & Scoring for the Road Races in Michigan. Probably end up traveling more and work events in Wisconsin & Illinois as well.
Even tractors occasionally go to race tracks :) Have a Daughter & Son in Law that live not far from GingerMan that needed a new driveway a couple of years ago....

Attachments

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’ve never seen a headstone that indicated they wish they spent more time at the office / work. Enjoy it when and while you can.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I’ve never seen a headstone that indicated they wish they spent more time at the office / work. Enjoy it when and while you can.
Funny. My Dad told me that. I might have shared it here. I fully concur with the sentiment.

I’m “officially” retired for one employer, but I’m still working, mostly the hours I want, when and where I want. For another employer, that sells my labor back to the previous employer with a “wee bit” of a mark up. After 30 plus years in the rain, I try to schedule my field days for the days it doesn’t rain. It works sometimes.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My L47 was my retirement gift to myself. never looked back.
I've considered replacing my BX and its attachments several times over last few years.

I also didn't plan for vehicle replacements.

We've both been fortunate enough to have new cars for many years.

Drive them 5-6 years then trade. In upstate NYS and its salt, vehicles don't last like they might in other places.

Given the COVID market and interest rates, our vehicles are nearly 7 years old. Late for us.

I think we can tolerate/accommodate these expenses, but it does make one take pause in an unknown/uncertain future......

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
OP, you’ve done your time. Pull the plug and enjoy what you’ve worked for. We’re all a cog in a machine and if we die at our desk, they will have us replaced in some capacity easily within a year, month or week.

Fait won’t deal us an extra 5 or 10 years of life because we worked 45 instead of 40 years. Nope, we’ll just be gone having worked more years.

lol. 7 figure salary. Thought that was reserved for sports figures, movie stars, a few doctors, judges and crooked politicians? Most folks retire with less than 7 figures total.

Although comparison is the thief of joy, play with this calculator a little bit and some might realize they are doing a bit better than they might have thought. You know what the most common net worth is regardless of age? Zero, yup, nothing! See image below

Net Worth Percentile by Age Calculator

A 7 figure 65 year old is nearly 77 percentile.

I retired after over 30 years as a workaholic and now work part time remotely. Got everything paid off and kids through college. I go to the job sites occasionally. It’s been a good gig for the last couple years. Haven’t touched a dollar in the retirement accounts and don’t plan too for a while. Flexibility and autonomy. That’s the key for me. The wife wants to fully retire in a few years. She probably will. I’ll probably do some part time stuff.

See the longest blue line? That’s 250k households with zero net worth. The single most common value of net worth. Pick and age, any age. That’s what you’ll find.

View attachment 125040
This is really spooky. The % with a negative net worth is astonishing.

After my concern mentioned above about tractor/vehicle replacement, this is not helping my cause.

Appreciate the analysis. Surprising to me. Really appreciate it. (y)

We aren't (net), but I don't want to get there..... :oops:

Now I'm having second thoughts, but they were quickly dispelled by my recollections of today.....

I'm going.....;)

Damn the torpedoes....:cool:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
This is really spooky. The % with a negative net worth is astonishing.

After my concern mentioned above about tractor/vehicle replacement, this is not helping my cause.

Appreciate the analysis. Surprising to me. Really appreciate it. (y)

We aren't (net), but I don't want to get there..... :oops:

Now I'm having second thoughts, but they were quickly dispelled by my recollections of today.....

I'm going.....;)

Damn the torpedoes....
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

"Don't let fear or common sense hold you back"

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Good luck RCW. I ran my own business for 25 years before I closed it and went to work for a competitor. That was 30 years ago. It's time for me too. Monday I am telling our CEO that I'm done the end of May.
They have been very good to me (family business).

About 5 years into this job he asked me how long I intended to work. I told him as long as I enjoyed doing the work I was in. Likewise if he ever felt I wasn't cutting it anymore all he had to do was say the word.

Since covid I've been working remotely and don't even have an office there anymore. As much as I do enjoy the current arrangement (and the check) I decided its time.

10 years ago I remember telling my college roommate's wife that it isn't how long you live, its how long you can do the things you want to. Within a year she sold her business and they both retired.

My turn

Reactions: 2 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I've considered replacing my BX and its attachments several times over last few years.

I also didn't plan for vehicle replacements.

We've both been fortunate enough to have new cars for many years.

Drive them 5-6 years then trade. In upstate NYS and its salt, vehicles don't last like they might in other places.

Given the COVID market and interest rates, our vehicles are nearly 7 years old. Late for us.

I think we can tolerate/accommodate these expenses, but it does make one take pause in an unknown/uncertain future......
I rebuilt a 2004 Duramax dully with lots of U tube help and the damage you see is incredible. About the only good thing in California.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Congrats!!!!!

I'm retired for almost 2 years now.

I could rabble on for days about this new 'retired' life.

But in a nutshell, retiring saved my life. Or what's left of it. Too many men drop dead on the job or while holding a stressful job.

Screw that. Hop on the motorcycle and ride Baby, Ride! Or tractor and dig, Baby Dig!

I plan HOPE to cross to the other side fast and happy.

Enjoy it.

Last edited:

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
...Now I'm having second thoughts, but they were quickly dispelled by my recollections of today.....
I retired (mostly) at age 62 a year ago. I spent a long time before that pondering it. I finaly realized the only time I'd be 100% sure it was the right time was if I waited until I was dead.

So, I settled for being 51% sure and haven't regretted it for a nanosecond since.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The warehouse supervisor and I were discussing retirement a few months before I decided to go. He already had his own plans and told me "Don't worry. You'll know when it's time". When I went to tell him I finally decided he said "Yep, I could tell". Apparently I didn't conceal just how ready I was:)

The job was fun, but at 72 it was time to start the retirement. I ran the shops, bought and rented equipment and reported to the COO (who donated a lot of material for a couple projects at church). Had plenty of freedom and could go play in the shops whenever I felt like it. Had access to anything the company owned for personal use from power snakes to bucket trucks.

When I told the rest of the people in the shops and offices I was going to retire, one draftsman said "I'll give you six months". I assured him I severely doubted I'd want to return. He then told me he meant six months till I died, because that's what happened to the guys he knew. So far so good:)

• Wow

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The warehouse supervisor and I were discussing retirement a few months before I decided to go. He already had his own plans and told me "Don't worry. You'll know when it's time". When I went to tell him I finally decided he said "Yep, I could tell". Apparently I didn't conceal just how ready I was:)

The job was fun, but at 72 it was time to start the retirement. I ran the shops, bought and rented equipment and reported to the COO (who donated a lot of material for a couple projects at church). Had plenty of freedom and could go play in the shops whenever I felt like it. Had access to anything the company owned for personal use from power snakes to bucket trucks.

When I told the rest of the people in the shops and offices I was going to retire, one draftsman said "I'll give you six months". I assured him I severely doubted I'd want to return. He then told me he meant six months till I died, because that's what happened to the guys he knew. So far so good:)
I remember reading about a study made of retired officers from the WW2 era. Those that retired to nothing, set on the porch and watch the cars go by, lasted like 26 months. It pointed out the importance of keeping busy, having a hobby and not just quitting all things i life.

To those who frequent forms like this obviously have some land, tractor of some kind, implements, and enjoy using them. That is a value many don't consider when purchasing a machine on your property.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I remember reading about a study made of retired officers from the WW2 era. Those that retired to nothing, set on the porch and watch the cars go by, lasted like 26 months. It pointed out the importance of keeping busy, having a hobby and not just quitting all things i life.

To those who frequent forms like this obviously have some land, tractor of some kind, implements, and enjoy using them. That is a value many don't consider when purchasing a machine on your property.
^ Exactly!

I often tell my friends, there is no better satisfaction or feeling than getting some Orange therapy operating tractors/skidsteer etc.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
^ Exactly!

I often tell my friends, there is no better satisfaction or feeling than getting some Orange therapy operating tractors/skidsteer etc.
That's right up there for sure, but I think motorcycle therapy might be a touch better, at least for me.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Spent a number of years wondering if I was going to make it through the next round of salary employee cuts, made to full retirement age, applied for SS and here Iam still working even after telling everyone that once I could retire, I would. I look forward going to work everyday, I have a great job, payed well and I get to play with all of the cool toys. I keep working, maybe just a little concerned about what it will be like not working anymore.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
I was a supervisor in the HVAC field at a major healthcare facility for several years. Very stressful job. I've been retired for 10 year Feb 7th. Can't tell ya how it felt the day I put my 2 weeks notice. Like a huge weight lifted. My wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about 1 1/2 years later, and I was able to take care of her at home. She will be gone 7 years in May, right after mothers day. I'm not doing so good myself but sure glad I'm not punching the time clock anymore. Do it, don't look back ! We only go around once, if yer healthy go do what ya want.

Reactions: 5 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was honestly very speculative when I started this thread, but knew something had to change.

I got a good projection of my final benefit in the mail yesterday. I used July 31 as a retirement date for projection purposes. 36.75 years in the pension plan.

We can make it work…..another piece of the puzzle….check…. ;)

I haven’t pulled the trigger with my employer yet.

That’s a time TBD, but guessing I will try to be in the July 31 timeframe. The Mrs. and I have to have some more conversations.

Last edited: