I have a starting issue on a B3200

RetiredSFC 97

Equipment
B3200
Jun 21, 2014
Harrisburg, Mo
Hello, I hate to be one of those guys whose first post is asking for help but I have searched for over two hours here, and other places on the net I can't find anything close to my problem.

I have a 2009 B3200 with 100 hours on it and today I tried to start it and it turns over fine, but won't start. I had some mouse problems last year that chewed up some wires in the dash panel so I took all that apart and found nothing out of character.
Before I started reassembling it I gave it one more try and bam, fired right up. Yippee. Let it run while I completed putting everything back together and putting up tools etc, about 10 to 15 minutes and turned it off just to see if it would start. Same thing, it cranks fine but it won't fire.

I took the filter off and did the bleed like my owners manual says to, but you can't really complete the procedure because it says to let it run for 10 minutes after doing this. Put it back on, the bowl filled up but it won't start.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Is there a relay that may be messing up? I am a complete novice to a diesel tractor, maybe I should have stuck with what I know, gas.

I can understand if it won't turn over at all and a safety switch is usually the culprit. I'm used to gas, spark, fuel air.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

I will introduce myself fully at a later date.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It sounds like a loose connection in the wires going to the fuel selonoid. Especially since you pulled the dash apart and it started. If it's cranking then i wouldn't think it's a safety switch.

RetiredSFC 97

Equipment
B3200
Jun 21, 2014
Harrisburg, Mo
Yes I'm positive it's not a safety switch. I personally think it's a wire issue myself as well. That's why I took the dash apart because last year mice chewed up my dash wiring harness pretty badly, to the point of it needing replaced. (those things are like a 100 bucks by the way)

Found some evidence of mice this time too but not nearly as bad, but I didn't notice any wires that had been chewed on.

Guess tomorrow I'll take it back apart and start tracing.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Last edited:

redneckarchery

Equipment
bx2230 fel,phd,bb,disc
Oct 18, 2010
blountstown,florida
There is a an actuator on my bx2230 that chokes the engine down when turn off. Mine got stuck and sometimes i woukd have to pull it out like a choke to get the engine to crank.
worth a try.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You'll have to see when you get the dash back apart. If you can get it started again, start wiggling wires and see if it shuts down. Those pesky shorts and loose connections can be a royal pain to find sometimes.:(

RetiredSFC 97

Equipment
B3200
Jun 21, 2014
Harrisburg, Mo
When I do find the issue I will report back. I will not be one those who asks for help and then disappears.

I can get around gas engines to the point of not embarrassing myself, but I'm less than a novice when it comes to diesel, this is my first one. This replaced an Allis Chalmers D14 that I thought was time to replace. Now I sometimes ask myself why. It was actually still in pretty good shape.

Thanks to everyone.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I think once you get used to the diesel and learn the quirks you'll love it. My grandfather was addament that he didn't want a diesel till my dad talked him into buying an l2250 with fel. It's been 23 years, and he's still got it. i offered to buy it a few years ago off him and i've never been run out of his house faster :D:p;)

RetiredSFC 97

Equipment
B3200
Jun 21, 2014
Harrisburg, Mo
When I first found this issue the engine was cranking at what I would describe as more than adequate for any vehicle or tractor I've ever been around. (grew up on a farm) I took the instrument cluster off and looked at all wires and found nothing out of character. But I figured the battery needed some charge after trying to get it started so I threw a charger on it at 4 yesterday.

At 7PM I checked on it and it..............fired right up. Of course I figured this was too easy so I left the charger on for it to complete its charging cycle.

Tonight I came home from work and checked on it and it................again fired up. The charger was now in maintenance mode so I put it back on and then just checked on it again. Fired right up.

I will leave the maintenance charge on it tonight and check on it tomorrow after work. If this was the problem, and I'm not yet convinced it is (just really hoping it is) I've sure never seen this happen like this before.

If it's not the solution I'll come back and report. So if anyone ever has any starting problems I strongly suggest you make sure your battery is fully charged before you start in other places. This is now the second time I've had starting issues with this B3200 and both times it appears it was battery related.

Keeping my fingers crossed because I really like this tractor. I only use it on average once a month for mowing and snow removal etc., and that's why the battery probably went low. (it's less than two years old) So I'm going to get a battery tender and keep on it.

Thanks

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Once you get it all figured out, stick a few scented dryer sheets in the dash. They will help keep the mice out.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Get a good barn cat or two. For the price of cat food, they are pretty cheap pest control and they make a good seat warmer when your tractor is in the barn if you keep an old blanket on the seat. Make sure they are fixed, don't want them multiplying.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You hear about dryer sheets, moth balls and other chemicals to keep kritters out of wiring etc. I don't know if they work, but I put moth balls inside an old sock and tie the sock in any area I don't want them.

I've also got an automatic feeder I can adjust the food volume and delivery time for a few barn cats. So one or the other is working!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Sometimes my parents cat shows up when I'm working on the tractors. I ask him for a wrench or rag or something and he just looks at me, so they are terrible mechanics assistants. :D

RetiredSFC 97

Equipment
B3200
Jun 21, 2014
Harrisburg, Mo
Well that wasn't the problem. Tonight I came home turned the key and it fired right up. Let it run a few minute and repeated, fired right up. So I turned it off and put it back together and again it fired right up.

So I took it for a ride smiling thinking I got this fixed. Brought it back, turned it off, waited a few minutes, nothing. it acted like a safety switch because it wasn't even turning over. Tried it a few more times and it did crank, but no start. The battery is fully charged.

I'm stumped. Thinking about getting it fixed and trading it for something else. I bought this B3200 new so I wouldn't have issues and with 103 hours on it, I'm not a happy camper to say the least.

Always took good care of it, performed all scheduled maintenance, kept it in a barn out of the weather. Now I'm rewarded with this. There aren't any wires that seem out of character nor have any been chewed on by rodents.

Bought it in October 09 with zero interest for 5 years, it will be paid for this October. 4 months to go and it sits dead in my barn with 103 hours on it.:mad::mad:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Have you considered the fuel shut-down solenoid?

Do you have a decompression pull-knob stuck partially open?

Have you checked fuel delivery and considerd a line somewhere sucking air?

Even though you said it's spinning on crank, what about sufficient battery power / voltage? Chassis ground connection? I know you said the battery is fully charged, but have you measured it?

What happens when you jump battery direct to starter?

I think you have a safety switch interlock ("...nothing happened") problem.

Don't give up, especially if an interlock problem. Any other machine you buy today will have the same basic lawyer-mandated switching system.

Please post back with your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Slightly off topic, another poster commented on barn cats. Orange cats, by chance.

They don't mind supervising, but won't work.

Research proves a well-fed cat will hunt more than one marginally-fed. We keep our barnies on free-access basic-quality feed year round and they have wiped out the local rodent population. I use a PVC deer feeder tube set on the ground and fill it every week or so. Works like a charm.

And concering tractor seats, I swear if a tractor seat is unoccupied by a hooman for 30-secs there'll be a cat in it every dang time, even if idling. We flip our seats up (don't like sitting in a puddle of cat hair) and make sure the cab doors are closed. And don't leave the keys in it either, dang feline joyriders. I think they vote to see whose turn it is.

For extra insurance we keep little yellow cardboard boxes of Mouse Pruf (or similar) in EVERY engine compartment on the place--trucks, cars, gensets, welders, pressure washers, tractors, everything. Replace annually or when empty.