I broke it...

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
I borrowed my brother in-laws old ... I mean old tiller. I have repaired some brackets and such on it. It has only oriental markings on it . 4 foot. As he instructed I had rps at 2500 rpm on the tractor . Ran good tilling nice smooth. Last pass 4 foot from the end of the row engine bogged, raised the 3 pt, bang boom the pto shaft separated. The outer part appears to have split as it seperated from the inner.
God how i hate to borrow stuff.

He helped me hook it up so I guess we got it right. He ran this tiller last year on his bx 23. We both purchased 2670 last fall so this is the first time on a 2670. Shaft appears to be long enough.
Now I have to replace the pto shaft.. He told me to go to farm and family and buy the shortest one they have. What else do I need to know about the shaft to get the right one . I have the old shaft in my truck so I can pick one up after work I don't want to be that guy walking into a store with parts and hoping they give me the right replacement part. Do I need to buy the whole unit or do they sell just the shaft with out the couplers .
Thanks for the help in advance.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Be the guy who brings it in, sets it on the counter and says "I broke it...got another one?".

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Square/rectangular shaft? All parts will be available individually. Probably cant buy it as an assy.
Some parts you cut to length.
And remember,its a parts store,not a Boutique. Plunk that part right there on the counter.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
PTO shafts are tough to match, especially and old one.
You need to match length and size of the ends, and style of the ends.

On another note: Most likely if it's that small and old of a tiller, your probably pushing to much HP through it.

whirly

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100HST
Dec 16, 2016
Pepeekeo, HI
Just a thought ....

If you take both parts and try to put them back together, can you see what "broke"?

I had the same thing happen when I bought a flail from a guy who had a smaller tractor. The PTO was cut for his 3pth and mine was evidently longer. When I raise the flail up to the full height of the 3pth the PTO disassembled itself. It may be that the shaft is just fine but too short for the full range of your 3pth.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Just a thought ....

If you take both parts and try to put them back together, can you see what "broke"?

I had the same thing happen when I bought a flail from a guy who had a smaller tractor. The PTO was cut for his 3pth and mine was evidently longer. When I raise the flail up to the full height of the 3pth the PTO disassembled itself. It may be that the shaft is just fine but too short for the full range of your 3pth.
Aren't you in the same boat whether it's broken or too short? Seems it would need replacing either way.

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Ripped the metal on the outer sleeve nothing I would repair. Bought a new pto shaft at farm and tractor. Lesson learned . Slow the rpm down and cut to proper length. Now to figure out the proper length and cut.

whirly

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100HST
Dec 16, 2016
Pepeekeo, HI
Aren't you in the same boat whether it's broken or too short? Seems it would need replacing either way.
Ahh yes. However, the point is, it would have broke the first time brother used it anyway. No need for the OP to self flagellate and a little cost sharing would be in order.

Just my 2 cents.