Hydraulic Top Link for Box Blades. Good idea?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey guys. I spent the better part of my day adjusting the top link on my box blade scraper. I always shorten the top link up to use my rippers on the initial passes. Then I let is out some to level the box blade to do my scraping. Finally, I lengthen the top link to smooth out the final grade. It seemed to me I spend most of my days adjusting the top link.

How many of you use a dual acting hydraulic top link? I found some for around $200 on Surplus Center. I already have a diverter valve for additional hydraulic that set empty unless I'm using my snow plow. What are your thoughts and suggestions on using a hydraulic top link?

View attachment 27014
A GOOD hydraulic top link is a very useful accessory when using a box blade, slip scoop, and some other implements. It will take some getting used to but will save considerable time once you have.

Get a good one with hydraulically operated check valves or it will likely not stay in place under heavy loads.

Be careful when becoming accustomed to it as it may be possible to push a box blade ripper through a rear tire depending upon your particular equipment and set up.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
From what I've been told and researched I've done, the check valve helps lock the cylinder in place. Keeps it from floating. I've used my hydraulic cylinder now for a month. I've had my box blade and bush hogged connected. Where ever I set the cylinder, it never moves or drifts. I'm glad I got one with the check valve.
Bingo.

Hydraulic top links without hydraulically operated check valves will not stay in place under heavy load.

Pay the difference for a good one.

SDT