Hydraulic oil

Bthibo

Equipment
Rhino
Jul 3, 2017
Kinder
Have a B1700 compact hydrostatic book says to use kubato hydraulic oil retired and can't afford kubato price can I use a good hydraulic oil as a substitute ? Thanks Bob

CrashmanS

Equipment
BX25
Aug 2, 2014
Buckhannon WV
Can you afford to tear up an expensive tractor with wrong fluid? I feel your pain, however unless kubota has a standard that the new oil meets I'm not chancing it. I just bite the bullet and get the good stuff. Cheaper than a new hydrostat.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Since your machine only holds 2.9 gal, and Messicks sells Kubota UDT for $17.86 per gal, or $15.85 if you buy a 5 gal pail, to me it is not the place to be selecting a generic lubricant when you don't know which properties are important in the design.

I don't know the current situation but, in the 1980's Ford and GM had different automatic transmission oils. You would think what would the difference be but there was one and it was important. One had a high static friction coefficient and the other did not. Put the wrong one in your car and the damage was thousands of $.

Often owners with large machines have UDT left over from a drain and refill and may be willing to sell you enough for your machine just not to have a partial 5 gal sitting around.

Dave M7040