Hydraulic oil on Kubota RTV-X900

mlj002

Equipment
RTV 900
Jul 19, 2014
Boonville, MO
I just purchased a used RTV-X900 and I plan to change all fluids before I use it much. Can you help me with?
1. The manual says the hydraulic oil needs to be changed every 200 hours and the reservoir holds almost 5 gallons. This seems to be overkill to me. The only thing operating from the hydraulic oil reservoir is the lift bed, isn't that correct? Does this oil need to be changed and if so how often?
2. According to the manual, the transmission has 2 oil filters. Does the hydraulic reservoir system have a filter?
3. The manual says have the dealer change the brake fluid. Is this necessary? Any tips on how to change it if it should be changed.

This unit is a 2019 and has 420 hours.

Thank you.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I‘m reading my Owners Manual. The X900 schedule only changes the FILTERS at 200 hrs on the transmission (VHT) and the hydraulic tank oil. I don’t see a filter for the hyd oil and that may be why they want it changed so frequently …IF you use it. (I don’t have a bed lift or any hydraulic accessories so I’ve not done anything with it (just now coming up on 600 hrs when I’ll do everything. )

The Transmission Fluid (Super UDT2) is changed at 400 hrs

If you are not running hydrauic systems regularly such as implements and PTO, etc… I agree changing it at 200 hrs is silly.

I agree that changing the brake fluid so frequently is ridiculous….. UNLESS you are truly driving it in deep water, etc. when it can become contaminated.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mlj002

Equipment
RTV 900
Jul 19, 2014
Boonville, MO
I‘m reading my Owners Manual. The X900 schedule only changes the FILTERS at 200 hrs on the transmission (VHT) and the hydraulic tank oil. I don’t see a filter for the hyd oil and that may be why they want it changed so frequently …IF you use it. (I don’t have a bed lift or any hydraulic accessories so I’ve not done anything with it (just now coming up on 600 hrs when I’ll do everything. )

The Transmission Fluid (Super UDT2) is changed at 400 hrs

If you are not running hydrauic systems regularly such as implements and PTO, etc… I agree changing it at 200 hrs is silly.

I agree that changing the brake fluid so frequently is ridiculous….. UNLESS you are truly driving it in deep water, etc. when it can become contaminated.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply. I received an email that alerted me to your reply, and in the email it showed the reply as follows: "I believe you have misread your Owners Manual. The X900 schedule only changes the FILTERS at 200 hrs on the transmission (VHT) and Hydraulics.

The Fluic (Super UDT2) is changed at 400 hrs.

See pgs 42/43 of the Owners Manual.

The transmission and Hydraulic tank share the same fluid...but have different capacities measured at two different points.

Hope this helps."

This reply doesn't match the one above. Which one do I go with?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I edited my comments when I realised that ….it was ME…who “misread” my manual.

YOU read it correctly…

mlj002

Equipment
RTV 900
Jul 19, 2014
Boonville, MO
I edited my comments when I realised that ….it was ME…who “misread” my manual.

YOU read it correctly…
Great! So can you clarify whether the transmission draws oil from the hydraulic tank or are they two separate systems? Thanks so much!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The transmission has it’s own oil tank/supply.

The Hydraulic Tank is separate and supplies the pump which operates the power steering on the standard X900…and the bed lift cylinder if you have that option.

944C0298-82C6-4969-886E-483DA08691A8.png

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I just purchased a used RTV-X900 and I plan to change all fluids before I use it much. Can you help me with?
1. The manual says the hydraulic oil needs to be changed every 200 hours and the reservoir holds almost 5 gallons. This seems to be overkill to me. The only thing operating from the hydraulic oil reservoir is the lift bed, isn't that correct? Does this oil need to be changed and if so how often?
The hydraulic oil in the reservoir supplies the hydrostat, steering, dump bed cylinder, and any hydraulic accessories. The hydraulic oil in the trans-axle is only for the lubrication of the trans-axle.

2. According to the manual, the transmission has 2 oil filters. Does the hydraulic reservoir system have a filter?
The hydraulic system oil is the same oil as the hydrostat oil, so it is filtered, but there is no filter between the reservoir and the hydraulic pump.

3. The manual says have the dealer change the brake fluid. Is this necessary? Any tips on how to change it if it should be changed.
The brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the atmosphere, and water in the fluid causes rust in the system. To change the fluid, you just use a hand-held vacuum pump and suck the fluid out of the bleeders starting from the one the furthest from the reservoir. You need to keep the reservoir full while changing the fluid.

This unit is a 2019 and has 420 hours.

Thank you.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well, THANK YOU for clarifying that…. I was relying on the WSM not on personal knowledge and the WSM is certainly not clear on it.
So you are saying they SHARE the same fluid from the SAME reservoir..??

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Well, THANK YOU for clarifying that…. I was relying on the WSM not on personal knowledge and the WSM is certainly not clear on it.
So you are saying they SHARE the same fluid from the SAME reservoir..??
Yes, the steering, hydraulic dump, any Aux hydraulic options, and the hydrostat use oil from the reservoir under the passenger seat. The oil in the trans-axle is nothing more than the lube for the Range and differential gears/bearings.

Reactions: 1 user