Hydraulic issues..

a_tack

Jun 2, 2010
Kentucky
I have a 2008 Kubota BX25. While digging up a septic tank today one of my hydraulic lines busted. It was the line that controls the bucket for the backhoe. The line that extends the ram that moves the bucket itself. I replaced the line and topped off my hydraulic fluid. Everything is working fine, but the line/fitting/ram/something is making a squealing type sound when I move the bucket. What could be causing this? Also is it normal for the hydraulic rams on the backhoe attachment to get kinda hot when used?

Last edited:

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Pressure on a fluid, especially at the pressures of the hoe, will be exothermic and exude heat. The squeel is hard for me to visualize or should I say in this case.... harmonize:D... as you can't really see a sound per se.

With the levity aside I am perplexed as to the origin of the squeel. Does it increase/decrease as you move the joy stick to increase movement in the implement?

Sounds in this area denotes a constriction of some sort that varies in pitch as the hydraulic flow changes with the movement of the joy stick.

Can you tell where the sound is emananting from.... possibly get a friend to cycle the joy stick while you strategically locate your ear in the areas of the potential sound source.

Keep us posted! Butch

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm wondering if maybe you bent the hydraulic cylinder while you were digging the septic tank. That in itself is some heavy duty digging and I would use a larger track excavator or a fullsize backhoe to dig. Were you trying to lift and remove the tank out of the ground or just clearing the dirt to get to it?

Back year ago when front end loaders and hydraulics first came about you could damn near lift a house and as long as the loader arms held up you were good. Today I believe its a open hydraulic system which prevents you from breaking a tractor in half but like anything else if you try to move more then the capacity of the tractor or backhoe something can and will break or blow.

a_tack

Jun 2, 2010
Kentucky
I was just digging loose, recently excavated dirt to expose a small 500 gallon tank that had collapsed. This tractor is entirely too small to remove the tank, I had to expose it so it could be pumped and removed. The sound seems to be coming from the fitting or the hose going into the ram. Sounds almost like pressurized air being squeezed through a small opening. The sound remains uniform and does not get louder, softer, or have any variation through the entire extension of the bucket. Does not make the sound as it retracts. All other functions of the backhoe remain silent. The only affected area seems to be where the new hose is. Everything works fine, no jerky movements, no binding, speed is up to par. It just makes a funny noise and I don't want to cause any damage.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Crack open the end of the fitting and bleed some of the air out of the line. Sounds like it just need to fart one good time and get rid of some air.