Hydraulic hoses

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
I never bought any but I priced them because I bought a 3 point backhoe that was in a fire. When I discovered the cylinders were not worth rebuilding I gave up and passed the project onto another guy who worked in a cylinder rebuilding shop. I priced hoses here and they were available in inch increments I believe...

Very affordable for sure

https://www.surpluscenter.com/

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just bought some pre-made lengths at TSC for my snow plow. The power angle hoses were too short.

I buy from Discount Hydraulic Hose (have in the past) no problem. If I don't need t right away, my buddy has a Parker crimper so I get him to swage them up for me.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've bought a few from Northern, and a bunch from Surplus Center, and I prefer Surplus Center, both from a cost & a quality standpoint. I have had a couple hoses from my backhoe (which are real oddballs & couldn't find anywhere else) made locally, (Hose Power) and they were quite reasonable & made while I watched.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
They make them at our local NAPA auto parts.... are fairly inexpensive ... but I am assuming the hoses and fittings are china since most of what they sell is imported these days.

Thanks Lil Foot for the thumbs up on Surplus Center

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Also purchase hoses and fittings from surplus center. Quality and performance are adequate, have several projects that require significant volume purchases, no issues, prompt shipping, reasonable cost.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
When buying and comparing hydraulic hoses, make sure you know what you are getting. Check the specs for pressure rating and wether it is 1,2 or 4 wire. The # of wires are the amount of wire reinforcement built in. The bigger the number of wires= higher strength and higher price. Many pre-made hoses at discount places tend to be 1 wire lower strength hoses. They are OK for lighter duty applications.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Parker is domestic and so is Gates and both will be labelled 'Made in USA' on the jacket. Far as I can tell all the hoses at Discount Hyd. Hose are imported but not all bad so long as they are made to ISO standards.

The TSC stuff is imported as well. Just bought a pre made length yesterday and it was labelled as such.

Bigearl

Equipment
B8200 hst
Dec 6, 2018
Forest Lake mn USA
Thanks for the information guys. These hoses are for my snow blade. All 1/4 inch hoses with simple nptf fittings. According to tractor data my system has a max output of 1715 psi. Would 2000 psi single wire hoses be sufficient?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Because of the forces a snowplow can exert on the hoses, I'd step up to 3000psi ones.

Think about this: When your plowing, the snow and other objects are constantly trying to move the blade, the pressure in the cylinder(s) are whats keeping it from moving. There is a lot of leverage against the cylinder(s) because of the length of the blade, this leverage will try to move the cylinder(s) in or out and cause massive pressure spikes in the hoses for short periods of time, so the cylinder(s), hoses, QD's, and valve will need to be able to handle that.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Curious, has anyone ever measured the pressure that the blade resistance exerts against the cylinder and hose.

Could simulate actual conditions in a shop under controlled environment. Won't the tractor wheels spin before max pressures are achieved, on a slippery surface of course.?

The relief provided by TRIP Springs should be factored into the equation??

Just how much resistance can a B8200 create?

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Curious, has anyone ever measured the pressure that the blade resistance exerts against the cylinder and hose.

Could simulate actual conditions in a shop under controlled environment. Won't the tractor wheels spin before max pressures are achieved, on a slippery surface of course.?

The relief provided by TRIP Springs should be factored into the equation??

Just how much resistance can a B8200 create?
Trip springs will only trip the blade vertically. If your blade was angled all the way to left, and the right side (the side that's now sticking way out) contacted a solid object, the cylinder(s) will try to to compress and or extend (depending on the angle cylinder configuration) creating the pressure spike. This is simple Pascal's law at work (see video below).

Now sometimes you can add a "Crossover" or "Cushion" Relief Valve, most commercial duty and truck plows have these built in to protect themselves. We even sell one on our website.

https://youtu.be/AtQ1oh09Uyo

vvbigbb

Equipment
ZD25, Quick Attach ,Befco rototiller, TI Quick Attach, 84" Woods Rotary Cutter,
Mar 2, 2015
Bantam, CT
Hydraulic hoses are always vulnerable to getting caught on just about anything.I don't buy discount hoses, they are too important.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I just bought two 3/8 inch by 6 foot hydraulic hoses for a QA snow plow I built. I compared prices and materials at NAPA, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool and O’Reilly. TS and NT did not have the hoses with different NPT ends. I ended up calling a local construction company and asked them if they had the capability to make custom hydraulic hoses or if they knew who did locally beyond the auto parts stores.
They told me they could and would make whatever hose in any configuration I wanted, if they did not have the fittings I needed they would order them and have them in 24 hours. I told them the hose end specs, length and a minimum of 3000 psi. I also explained my application, estimated bend radius and the needed to be flexible so it may limit how many hose wires. I was given a price for the two identical hoses in 5000 psi that was less than TS, and NT in a higher pressure rating and half the price of NAPA, configured as I need them. I told the guy I would pick them up in a couple of days, he asked where I was coming from and told me if I wanted them now they would be ready when I got there, about 20 minutes.
Excellent service, quality and price, so give the local heavy equipment construction company a call they may surprise you, a lot of them have the materials and equipment on hand since they cannot wait days to get down equipment running.

Attachments

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
always use the correct hose or stronger for your application. Do a search Hydraulic hose injury to find out why. Hydraulics are a wonderful thing, just respect it so you do not become a statistic.

Bigearl

Equipment
B8200 hst
Dec 6, 2018
Forest Lake mn USA
Thanks for the info guys, this is my first tractor and hydraulics are a new thing for me. I’ll now only consider 3000 psi or higher.

On a side note, would any of you happen to know the type of fitting that threads into the block valve?