Hydraulic Fluid - what is acceptable

johnjcouture

Feb 13, 2018
escondido, ca, usa
-->newbie<--
Kubota L4400, Kubota recommends K UDT. Some forums reference Valvoline 3089 (about $120/5gal), or Walmart UDT ($100/gal). However Tractor Supply sells Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid for $40/5gal. Quite a price difference!! Advice?
======
Tractor is 2011 model. Only has about 160 hrs on it but I am getting nervous since last oil change was 2014. Yea I know it is light usage but I don't want to abuse it! :) Besides I've never done an oil change before (not looking forward to having about 20 qts of oil spilling out. :-( Did I say I LOVE my tractor!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Gear or HST transmission? I would use better oil in HST... although, I just use UDT from Kubota for my HST. I can not tell the difference between the basic and premium oil. I also don't work my tractor hard... it's got an easy life!!!
I agree with Teg......dont short yourself, get the stuff it calls for, not something that "meets K's specifications";)

And I can and did tell the difference b/w the UDT and the S-UDT2 .....in sound and wallet:p

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It's not like engine oil as far as the change intervals go. Unless you use it every day you'll get years out of the hyd oil. Don't cut your own throat, use a premium fluid like SUDT2 or better.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
At home depot they sell large plastic tubs to mix concrete in. They are nice to set under the tractor to catch any accidents. They are about 3 x4 feet and 10 inches deep

Not too expensive and fairly handy for your task.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
-->newbie<--
Kubota L4400, Kubota recommends K UDT. Some forums reference Valvoline 3089 (about $120/5gal), or Walmart UDT ($100/gal). However Tractor Supply sells Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid for $40/5gal. Quite a price difference!! Advice?
======
Tractor is 2011 model. Only has about 160 hrs on it but I am getting nervous since last oil change was 2014. Yea I know it is light usage but I don't want to abuse it! :) Besides I've never done an oil change before (not looking forward to having about 20 qts of oil spilling out. :-( Did I say I LOVE my tractor!
If you want to save some $$$ without compromising integrity of the hydraulic fluid, I use Mystik JT-5, Yes it's UDT compliant, used it for years, it's very heat stable in cold and hot conditions, and works equally as well in geared or hydrostatic transmissions.

johnjcouture

Feb 13, 2018
escondido, ca, usa
Wow guys! Great advice. Thank you. To answer the question about Hydr change on hours or years. I guess I was concerned that it hadn't been changed in several years even though the hours are low. Yea, I do use it a couple of times a week but only for half hour (bring trash down to road, move a little dirt, etc). I have a 10-15 hour mowing chore coming up and the bush hog works the tractor pretty hard on the hills. Again, thanks for the advice all.