hydraulic fluid level

Stevebouck

Equipment
b2650
Jun 2, 2018
Cheney
I went to my kubota dealer to get some supplies and ask the salesman, whom I brought my B2650 from, what is the best way to check the hydraulic fluid level? His answer was to make sure ALL the cylinders were retracted, including the backhoe, then check the dip stick. As it so happen on the way out of the store I ran into the service rep that I know and ask him the same question, His answer was the same except the backhoe should be in the travel position, which the backhoe cylinders would be extended.
What is the answer here? Salesman or service rep?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Yes, the hoe would be retacted, but the cylinders are extended

Actually, the proper way to check the hydraulic oil level is with all cylinders in mid-stroke. Keeps the level at more of a constant level.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Personally, backhoe in travel position and FEL flat on ground, you know it's in exactly the same position every time. Can't go wrong.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Can't see why it would make any difference whatsoever. There is fluid on both sides of the cylinders at all times.

Fluid that is pushed from the head end of the cylinder that would end up in the reservoir simply replaces the fluid that left the reservoir to fill the other side of the cylinder.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Cylinder volume either side is different, if you check when the cylinders are in the same position each time, there will be minimal variance. Temperature will slightly affect, as well as air, so if you do it same place, same position, before start up each time, less variation. YMMV

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Can't see why it would make any difference whatsoever. There is fluid on both sides of the cylinders at all times.
When the cylinder is retracted, the volume is reduced by the volume of the rod it now contains. Extended, the rod space is filled with fluid.

(It's essentially the same reason why a cylinder can exert more force extending than retracting at the same operating pressure -- although in that case it's the cross sectional area of the rod that makes the difference).

Stevebouck

Equipment
b2650
Jun 2, 2018
Cheney
I went to my kubota dealer to get some supplies and ask the salesman, whom I brought my B2650 from, what is the best way to check the hydraulic fluid level? His answer was to make sure ALL the cylinders were retracted, including the backhoe, then check the dip stick. As it so happen on the way out of the store I ran into the service rep that I know and ask him the same question, His answer was the same except the backhoe should be in the travel position, which the backhoe cylinders would be extended.
What is the answer here? Salesman or service rep?
Alot of knowledgeable people came back with answers that were all over the board. Kubota says the tractor must be on level ground and the FEL needs to be resting flat on the ground and the backhoe must be upright in the traveling position, locked, with pressure off by resting it on the locking pin. Well, that's what i'm going to do. I want to thank everyone who responed to my inquiry