Hydraulic fluid cross comparability

Pbmhonl

Equipment
2015 b2650
Dec 12, 2021
Sw washington
I have a b2650 and a bobcat 753 skid steer. The 753 uses generic old school buckets of hydraulic fluid. My question is…. If I share implements like grapple bucket between the two machines do I need to stress about the fluid from the lines mixing between machines? Can I, should I , switch the bobcat over to the kubota fluid?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is the B2650 a HST ? To my knowledge it is = IF NOT - then I would not worry a bit a bout the fluids. BUT if that is a HST machine and they do share the common sump - then over time that might be a concern. The amount of fluid LEFT in the rams of the grapple are probably a couple of cups or a bit more - but over time between the two machines it could be a problem.

Not sure what the "correct" answer is - many will tell you, "ah hell dont worry about it and let it rip" - but I would say you might be better to change the hydraulic oil IN THE KUBOTA more frequently if used several times over the oil changing cycle. I am not sure the UDT or better will be a perfect fit for the hydraulics in the Bobcat either.

Pbmhonl

Equipment
2015 b2650
Dec 12, 2021
Sw washington
Is the B2650 a HST ? To my knowledge it is = IF NOT - then I would not worry a bit a bout the fluids. BUT if that is a HST machine and they do share the common sump - then over time that might be a concern. The amount of fluid LEFT in the rams of the grapple are probably a couple of cups or a bit more - but over time between the two machines it could be a problem.

Not sure what the "correct" answer is - many will tell you, "ah hell dont worry about it and let it rip" - but I would say you might be better to change the hydraulic oil IN THE KUBOTA more frequently if used several times over the oil changing cycle. I am not sure the UDT or better will be a perfect fit for the hydraulics in the Bobcat either.
yes it is an hst machine. That is my point of concern. Expensive bits to screw up.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Going out on a limb - but I betcha the UDT will work fine in the Bobcat - I bet it has a LARGE capacity of hydraulic oil? So switching might get expensive

personally - I would use UDT in the bobcat and S-UDT2 in the B - those two oils ARE COMPLETELY compatible.

Last edited:

Pbmhonl

Equipment
2015 b2650
Dec 12, 2021
Sw washington
Going out on a limb - but I betcha the UDT will work fine in the Bobcat - I bet it has a LARGE capacity of hydraulic oil? So switching might get expensive

personally - I would use UDT in the bobcat and S-UDT2 in the B - those two oil ARE COMPLETELY compatible.
Yes. The bobcat uses 15gallons. Would be expensive but still cheaper than blowing up a hydrostat.
Maybe just take the time to crack lines and drain stuff prior to switching. Won’t be a daily operation.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
You don't have to worry about the hydrostatic portion of your transmission but over time it could dilute the UDT enough to possibly shorten the life of your wet brakes or gear train in the range and final section of the tractor. This would take quite a bit of fluid transfer though.
I would just run it and if you see yourself swapping attachments often you could shorten the oil change interval on the transmission.

Actually both machines are hydrostatic drive but the Bobcat only specs hydraulic oil as there is no need for a UTF type lube