Hydraulic Filter thread info

OrangeJalopy

Equipment
B7100D
Dec 29, 2023
Nor Cal
Hi everyone
I’m doing a long overdue major service on my B7100d. Ran into an issue where the old hydraulic filter was cross threaded in the housing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up the threads? Was thinking a thread chaser might do the job, but im not sure what size and pitch the threads are. Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I looked up what I think your part is - is this it?

It looks like a large thread (1" ??) and I would suspect a machine shop in your area would be able to tell you what thread it is if you take that filter assembly with you.

After that, you should be easily able to find a tap to repair the thread.
It doesn't look that damaged from what I can tell.

I'd recommend changing the oil after you tap to get out any metal from the tapping process if you don't remove the housing. But that is what the filter is for too.

1703927492279.png

1703927446744.png

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi everyone
I’m doing a long overdue major service on my B7100d. Ran into an issue where the old hydraulic filter was cross threaded in the housing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up the threads? Was thinking a thread chaser might do the job, but im not sure what size and pitch the threads are. Thank you in advance for any help.
Those things are easy to cross thread and aluminum buggers easily.

I do not know for a fact but my guess is that's BSPP. Break out your trusty digital caliper and measure the OD and consult a BSPP thread chart. If it matches buy a cheap BSPP tap and carefully recut the threads.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I would also suggest you loosen the hose connection on the suction tube before you attempt to put the screen back in. If you break the hose loose and gain some freedom of movement on the banjo end you may have an easier time getting the screen threaded back in without cross threading it again.

Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When opening up fittings on your tractor it's always a good idea to clean around the area before removing components. Just good maintenance practice! ;)

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Putting some grease on your tap will help catch some chips when you run it in there.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I believe that a rethreader would be less expensive than a tap if one is available. The difference between the rethreader and a tap is that the rethreader will reshape the threads whereas a tap will cut new threads. One will save the metal loss and both will save the day if they work. I have made re-threaders out of bolts by cutting a V groove in them with a square file and they have worked well in soft metal like aluminum. The trick is getting them started squarely with the old threads.

Reactions: 2 users

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
I believe that a rethreader would be less expensive than a tap if one is available. The difference between the rethreader and a tap is that the rethreader will reshape the threads whereas a tap will cut new threads. One will save the metal loss and both will save the day if they work. I have made re-threaders out of bolts by cutting a V groove in them with a square file and they have worked well in soft metal like aluminum. The trick is getting them started squarely with the old threads.
I agree, I said tap but some rethreaders are refered to as taps. I should have made that clear. A rethreader is prefered.
Ha, I've done the same thing cutting grooves in bolts. Works in a pinch.

OrangeJalopy

Equipment
B7100D
Dec 29, 2023
Nor Cal
Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you all for the feedback. I was able to get a set of thread chasers on amazon for about $20. Seemed to do the trick and everything went back together fine and there is only a very minor leak. Which is probably from the o ring moving out of place when everything got tightened. Thanks again for all the help

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I sometimes use Vaseline on O-rings, so the cover can slide as it is being tightened. If the O-ring is dry, it might get pushed to the side as the cover is being tightened. It is one of those things that you can put together 10 times with no problems, but the 11th will be nothing but problems.