Hydraulic filter collapsed

pinstripefan90

Equipment
BX25D, FEL&BH, Piranha tooth bar, Bucket hooks, Pallet forks, Back blade
Sep 8, 2017
New York
So, I bought my BX25D used from a dealer in August and it had 225hrs on it and had just been serviced, it now has 285hrs on it and with the extreme cold we have had here it developed a small hydraulic leak from the filter, no much of a leak but a small drip while parked, I bought a filter and super udt 2 fluid today from Kubota and serviced it this evening, when I removed the filter I noticed it was misshapen and the filter material inside was loose and collapsed, I installed the new filter, drained the fluid, cleaned the screen (which was pretty clean to start with) filled the fluid to spec and ran it, I noticed my hydraulic whine which was minimal before is now gone...just wondering if you guys have ever had this issue with the filter before, I assume it must have just happened when the leak developed and luckily I hadn't run it since I noticed the leak. I'm a mechanic and I have never seen a filter do this and I find it odd, anyway let me know if you guys have seen/had this happen, thanks.

- Jake

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It has happened before - even with a "good" filter.....rare, but it happens. No good answer as to why other than high pressure - which that should be low going through the filter, or perhaps a poorly made filter.

What oil did you place in the hydraulic system? S-UDT2 ? If so - I understand the whine free - great feeling to the ears!:D:)

pinstripefan90

Equipment
BX25D, FEL&BH, Piranha tooth bar, Bucket hooks, Pallet forks, Back blade
Sep 8, 2017
New York
It had a Kubota filter on it (Same as the one I bought from the dealer) and yes I put the super udt2 fluid in it, I was surprised that the whine was gone, it was minimal before but now it is non existent